PDA

View Full Version : 50Kg Barra at monduran

GilgaiCodFish
26-10-2009, 02:15 PM
I was talking to my brother on thursday last week he lives in Toowomba QLD and
he was saying that as I was talking to him there was a story on the local news about a 50kg Barra being caught at Mondy I was wondering if anyone else heard or saw the same story or if anyone has seen photos to prove this..

Maybe they have been posted on Ausfish???

childers
26-10-2009, 03:56 PM
More likely 50 lb than 50 kg maybe!

gladbream
26-10-2009, 04:11 PM
just received a photo from jason w of a 33kg awoonga fish and its huge. 50kg i would expect it from monduran before awoonga, but yeah i am in agreeance with the above, 50lb.

cheers
kh

Little grey men
26-10-2009, 04:15 PM
just received a photo from jason w of a 33kg awoonga fish and its huge. 50kg i would expect it from monduran before awoonga, but yeah i am in agreeance with the above, 50lb.

cheers
kh
It's a beauty hey ?

gladbream
26-10-2009, 05:11 PM
massive fish. similar to that of johnnys last week. you think 17kg on top of these two fish. holy crap............ cant post the pics of the one jas (due to the pic is his property) got but it would have to one of the fattest ones i have seen at 128cm before. just goes to show what these impoundments can produce, and the talent of these guides that work them.

cheers
kh

poddy mullet
27-10-2009, 06:45 PM
My phone has been goin off with a text pic that claims to be a 113 kg barra from the Daley River NT... Anyone seen it?? Since found out (from Aus Fish posts) that she's a prank because its a Nile Perch from over seas somewhere...

Pod

fish_on
31-10-2009, 03:31 PM
i received an e mail one day of this bloke app from melb holding a barra from mondy which went 145cm and est weight of 45kg. the head of this fish is massive. ive also spoken to a couple of blokes who electro fish and they told me they got 3 one day that went 145cm up at H division. no pictures though

MORFIN
01-11-2009, 05:13 AM
i received an e mail one day of this bloke app from melb holding a barra from mondy which went 145cm and est weight of 45kg. the head of this fish is massive. ive also spoken to a couple of blokes who electro fish and they told me they got 3 one day that went 145cm up at H division. no pictures though

that barra pic is on a wall at barra jacks at kawana, you make up your mind ? but it sure goes close to that claim.
Pete Mate

snodger 08
13-11-2009, 01:59 PM
have a look at the pics on this site. One of a 37kg. 50 must be massive hey.
Steve

http://www.qldaf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=95607

Dick Pasfield
13-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Just checked that link and read the comments, it was interesting to see that some people subscribe to the 'big fish = little fish turned to tucker' theory in impoundments. I'd thought from reading stuff here that theory was a myth that was busted?

Would rather play the ball, not the man, seems like that train of though has some support. Generally speaking what are the reason for this?

Tropicaltrout
13-11-2009, 08:26 PM
have a look at the pics on this site. One of a 37kg. 50 must be massive hey.
Steve

http://www.qldaf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=95607

Cheers Snodger, but it realy dis heartens me to see those pics:'( its a sad day when blokes don't use their heads like these. I understand its all put take and have no probs in taking a feed but those 3 fish are worth so much more in the water then in a freezer or worse once tasted..

I agreeance though its a cracker fish just a shame the Meatos got them and not someone with a brain

DEANO68
13-11-2009, 09:42 PM
sad day, nice fish but sad..:'( ....

why the enviro net...:-/ :-/ :-/

Big_Ren
14-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Great....maybe they slaughtered the wallabies in their pics as well:-[ Must have a big wall to mount those mummas in a row.

Don't get me wrong.....I am dandy with put and take....these people are certainly entitled to what is allowed by law.....no probs.... I just sincerely hope none of those fish ended up in the sulo bin.

Put and take is one thing...put and rape is another entirely. That amount of fillets would last for months on end...maybe enough for their kids who ain't born yet.

Someone tell these people that Tinaroo has a great kill fest too....and I am sure they can win prizes for the biggest dead barra.

A pic of one big, big barra on the filleting table is fine....but three big'uns ...WTF:-X>:(

Anyway I have had my rant.

Feel free to berate me if you think I am a tree hugger;)

Cheers
Paul

robersl
14-11-2009, 08:50 AM
That is the reason i am now glad we are in the only take 1 fish season but hat i would like to see is fisheries do a snap inspection and check every ones vans and freezers at mondy i was there at the last moon you can not tell me some of they grey nomad have not got more than 1 fish in possesion as the law states

shane

Obi _ Wan
14-11-2009, 11:03 AM
That is the reason i am now glad we are in the only take 1 fish season but hat i would like to see is fisheries do a snap inspection and check every ones vans and freezers at mondy i was there at the last moon you can not tell me some of they grey nomad have not got more than 1 fish in possesion as the law states

shane

Shane, I would like to see that happen at all the impoundments that are stocked with barra, not only Mondy.

I can still smell the stench of the rotting barra frames that adorned the banks of the boat ramp and surounding areas 3 or 4 years ago at Faust, it was open slather.

I do agree with the put and take angle but i can not get my head around people wanting more than one fish, even when they are entitled to take more than one in season, the taste is very, very poor.

These big fish are to good to be only caught once and are a very valuable animal to the local communities as people will travel many thousands of kilometers just to catch one, but would not bother if only 60 & 70 cm fish were available.

My Thoughts,
John.

BR65
16-11-2009, 05:01 PM
How sad.

Put and take yes, but FFS, be responsible.

Dick, the myth lives on.
I have had some try to tell me that the "big barra eat litle barra so cull all the big barra" B.S. is on a sign in the fish display at the park - idiots that have no idea and are justifying their kill it all attitude.

Tropicaltrout
16-11-2009, 06:17 PM

shane

The age old answer mate not enough police, that mungrel Premier enjoys putting money into nothing (dams) rather then whats needed like police and fisheries....

The simple answer is get rid of that stupid sign that Brians talkin about>:( put new sings in about the eating quality and premote Catch and release on that sign....;)

Will they do it... "NO" why because if they dont premote taking of fish nomads and meatos wont turn up in thier droves like they do currently and the trolling circles will be somewhat thinner and the money will also thin... Us blokes will still turn up but so we will have to live with it and try and premote it ourselves to those who cross our paths while we are up there... either by explaining to them about their eating quality or simply showing them the pleasure we get from seeing these beautiful fish swim away....

Then comes a loop... The more who practice C&R more we have to explain the correct handling techs

So for dream sake what say we form a sociasl club that can raise money to premote C&R with a correct sign with a set of diagrams of C&R with all info we see fit reality it would get squashed>:(

Anyhow sorry about that rant but it realy gives me the you no what's

Nath

PS my design my invention used by many and many realesed fish this is what needs to be premoted!!!

robersl
16-11-2009, 07:53 PM
So nath when does that go into production i know you have been using it now for about 8 months or more and it is a good idea
shane

Dick Pasfield
16-11-2009, 09:47 PM
How sad.

Put and take yes, but FFS, be responsible.

Dick, the myth lives on.
I have had some try to tell me that the "big barra eat litle barra so cull all the big barra" B.S. is on a sign in the fish display at the park - idiots that have no idea and are justifying their kill it all attitude.

Yes it is a bit sad, a metre fish has got to be worth between one and ten K to a local community in what it draws including, the hard earned from those who want a return measured in kgs of protein. So a few fish bleeding out of the system into eskies is OK as long as the system can continue to produce.

The perception that you need to kill the big ones to maintain the system goes well beyond that.

Do you think there was aver a precedent for the idea to float in the first place or misguided logic (i.e.1+1=11). Or is it more a case of justifying a 'let's kill the pig' mentality with smoke and mirrors?

Tropicaltrout
16-11-2009, 10:13 PM
So nath when does that go into production i know you have been using it now for about 8 months or more and it is a good idea
shane

Nah Shane its my own thing I made up and been using it well now for well over a year... But it not about that mat its about education and cutting out the crap mentality such as kill the big fish..

Like Dick has said they are worth far more to us swimming then laying in a eski or in some floating ski jump in the middle of the dam!!!!

robersl
17-11-2009, 06:41 AM
I agree Nath worth more alive than dead but the trollers take all they get without releasing any and yes they pay there sips for restocking but it would be good to see something like a fee to Masa other than sips for any fish taken for consumption by the kilo a bit like the barra park , you pay a fee to fish the ponds (sips)but if you want to keep your catch you get the first 1 free then have to pay so much per kilo of fish kept after that to help with restocking more fish
. only a thought

shane

ifishcq1
17-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Guys,
I promote release apart from a feed because that is the way to the future so a take one fish rule is okay if you need to and I don't eat freshwater barramundi
if you don't believe that barras are cannibal you don't know barras
when there is an easy feed the lazy old barra will eat the first thing that it sees be it a poddy mullet a prawn or even a baby barra and they are released at bait size
though in a dam with stacks of bony bream and perch it seems hardly likely that they would demolish all the new stocks
one barra farm up the coast lets the employees take a few farmed fingerlings to catch wild fish for recreation (I am in two minds and basically I don't agree with it)
in the Port Alma salt works dams over the years a number of the fish caught have had juvenile barras in their guts on capture

cheers

robersl
17-11-2009, 10:18 AM
I Have caught a barra in the sth Alligator in the N/T that coughed up a 25cm barra so i know they do eat there own as you say will eat whatever comes past his nose at that time

shane

BR65
22-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Yes it is a bit sad, a metre fish has got to be worth between one and ten K to a local community in what it draws including, the hard earned from those who want a return measured in kgs of protein. So a few fish bleeding out of the system into eskies is OK as long as the system can continue to produce.

The perception that you need to kill the big ones to maintain the system goes well beyond that.

Do you think there was aver a precedent for the idea to float in the first place or misguided logic (i.e.1+1=11). Or is it more a case of justifying a 'let's kill the pig' mentality with smoke and mirrors?

I know I have read a report a long time back advocating the culling of big fish due to predation issues with fingerlings, I just cant remember where!
Ive been googling away the last few days for nil result on this, can any one provide a link to where this originated?
Im guessing Tinaroo, as it was the first dam on line, and also had a big catch and keep culture early on.

BR65
22-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Guys,
I promote release apart from a feed because that is the way to the future so a take one fish rule is okay if you need to and I don't eat freshwater barramundi
if you don't believe that barras are cannibal you don't know barras
when there is an easy feed the lazy old barra will eat the first thing that it sees be it a poddy mullet a prawn or even a baby barra and they are released at bait size
though in a dam with stacks of bony bream and perch it seems hardly likely that they would demolish all the new stocks
one barra farm up the coast lets the employees take a few farmed fingerlings to catch wild fish for recreation (I am in two minds and basically I don't agree with it)
in the Port Alma salt works dams over the years a number of the fish caught have had juvenile barras in their guts on capture

cheers

No doubt, as an opportunistic feeder, they will knock over smaller barra mate.
I just cant find any thing on the net that defines the effect that haves on fingerling survival rates.
Personally, I would think the water conditions/temps, catties and birds would be more of a hazard - any one have a link to some factual data?