PDA

View Full Version : caboolture area Mary River Cod''

burleygu
25-10-2009, 07:22 PM
thought i would shed some light on the freshwater fishing around the caboolture area the past few wkends... and much to my surprise why i think its fishing so well of late..

the last half a dozen outings ive done down to a river in the caboolture area has been producing very nice fish every time with over a dozen fish being caught every time consisting of small bass big yellowbelly and surprisingly lots of mary river cod..

if anybody enjoys catching mary river cod in my opinion i think now is a great time to have a go. with the shortage of rain we have had the rivers/creeks have stopd flowing and the cod are stuck to there usual haunts deminishing the food that is available to them. every trip ive done the last few weeks ive seen some very agressive action from cod chasing lures right up onto the bank. one instance were the neighbours young fella jumpd back about 2 feet and couldnt stop shaking from pure excitement for about half an hour.

ive been consistantly catching cod and yellowbelly on deep diving 50mm xraps and gold/black stumpjumpers. everyone has been recomending i try spinner baits can anyone tell me how these compare to the hardbodied lures and any particular make that seem to stand out from the rest????

just thought id share my opinion and try convince a few of ya's to get out and have a go. all of the fish are released as they are just not worth keeping especially considering they are all native and not stockd its great to see.

Steve B
25-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Nice spot you got there mate. Well done. Keep it under your hat....not everyone has the same ethical principles you do with regards to releasing such beautiful native fish!! Congrats to you.

Spinnerbaits will work perfectly for sure!! especially if its a bit snaggy, they can be worked at different depths, and can be more snagproof than HB with trebbles. Cod love them!!!!!

Cheers Steve

BLOOEY
25-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Top fish mate. As steve said i'd be keeping that spot quiet too. I'd love to throw a crawling surface lure in there at dawn or dusk. Ben

burleygu
25-10-2009, 09:36 PM
wel luckily for me guys were that section of the river is located is on my parents property they have a cpl of kilometers of river along the back of there property so its virtually untouched but i have caught similar fish 100 mtrs away from a major highway... but atm they are on the bite!!

Little grey men
25-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Beautiful and valuable fish mate, It's a good thing it's on your parents property so those cod will be a little safer. Look after them !!!

King_Kong
26-10-2009, 07:29 AM
For a real buzz get out the surface fizzers. And like some others have said ,keep it under your hat .

bdowdy
26-10-2009, 07:39 AM
nice fish...as everyone one said..look after your fish and spot...so they will be there forever..brett

warrior
26-10-2009, 01:44 PM
places like that are gold to all of us caught a nice cod in somerset a couple of years ago and they are a beautiful coloured fish the secret should be held close to your chest

shayned
26-10-2009, 08:42 PM
I agree with the above comments mate, keep it under your hat not everyone is as kind to this vulnerable species.

If I can offer a little advice, try not to put the fish on the ground mate, it can cause some health problems for the fish after you let them go. This will help ensure that you have a great fishery into the future.

TonyM
26-10-2009, 08:57 PM
What a fantastic spot you have on your hands there!

Thanks for sharing your great fishing with us and I hope one day to catch my first Mary River Cod too - Growing up with the Mary running past only a hundred metres from my door I think it's criminal I've never caught one of these magnificent fish - Thanks for the heads up, I'd better get off my bum I think!

Cheers
Tony

burleygu
27-10-2009, 06:17 AM
thanx for the replys guys it all could be a differnt story now with the big down poor of rain we had! yellowbelly will be more on the chew tho with abit of flow.

thanx for the info there shanee in regards to leaving the fish on the ground apreciate that. i never realise it caused them harm but if its any help all the dirt and sand was rubd off the fish once he was sitting back in the water gently that as.. didnt want to remove any of his slime'

shayned
27-10-2009, 11:33 AM
All good mate, what ever you do don't let your folks move, that place is gold.

poddy mullet
27-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Great thread guys! Good info! Might pay to remind our selves that two seconds preperation like wetting the brag mat first, wetting your hands, and not putting fingers in gills is crucial if we want em to survive 100% of the time as shayned pointed out. That protective coating of slime is almost invisible- but so crucial to th immune system of our finned friends!

Great spot mate-keep the pics coming and thanks for sharing,

Regards, Pod.