PDA

View Full Version : What boat to get?

cuzzamundi
25-10-2009, 06:24 PM
G'Day All,

Just need some advice for a mate of mine. He wants to buy a boat second hand that is capable of going wide to Barwons, Reefs Off Bundaberg (Cochrane, Woodgate Arti, Burrum 8 Mile etc), and off Seventeen Seventy (In close, and a little wider - Banana Butter). Would he need something bigger than 5 metre 90hp? He'd want something that could handle winds up to 20 knots reasonably well. Looking to both fish and spearfish from it. Also, would 10 to 15 grand price range be enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've never owned more than a tinnie for inshore. Thanks again.

Cuzza

hakuna
26-10-2009, 07:38 AM
5m boat is good for a flat day, maybe 10 to 15 knots wind, afternoon come home when the wind picks up. 20 knot, no, go home
Barwons in a 5m, on a flat day ok if outlook is good, 20knots, take a good epirb, 60k back in that wind you may need it. THink also how much fuel you will need out and back.
Cost wise a second hand boat to that style of work you would be looking up around the 50k mark. Long way to swim if you have mechanical failure. You will need a good safe relible rig.
I would jump in another boat before you do it and gain some experience at sea, read the weather, waves and general conditions including bar crossings.

cheers

PADDLES
26-10-2009, 08:17 AM
i think anyone who needs to ask this question should know that they are not experienced enough to "chance it" going to the banks in a 5m boat. i'm reasonably experienced with boats myself and still would like at least 6-7m under me to go that far in comfort, yet i'm sure there's blokes who comfortably go that distance from shore in smaller boats. bottom line is cuzza that it has to be a personal decision, what is your mate (and his wife) most comfortable with?

cuzzamundi
26-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks fellas, some great offerings here. He is very green when it comes to offshore, so hearing from seasoned boaties is what he wants. I relayed him this info and he has taken heed...his life just isn't worth skimping a few grand, let alone the family's! So, 5m would be ok for the inshore reefs off bundy in 10-15kt? Same for off Bustard Head? I really think Barwons and wide DI are now out of the question in light of your info, and he agrees. I told him forget Swains as soon as I talked to him other day. Thanks again.

Cuzza

Vitamin Sea
26-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi Cuzza

Some good advice here

Closer reefs as you have mentioned would be ok for your mate, as already said here, he needs to get up some sea time to understand weather and effect on seas, 2 miles can be a long way if it turns ugly:o

A good mate on here fishes regulary out of DI in a VSea, 20~40 odd k's out, but, it's got to be good weather and he's been into boats and fishing for a long time.

A boat around the 6 metre mark ( depending on the boat ) would do what he wants to do, doesn't need to spend 50K, around the 30 mark would get a decent rig.

Cheers

VS

cuzzamundi
26-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks Vitamin Sea. How long is your mate's boat? What hp is the motor? He definitely needs to get some sea time up, and also getting used to navigating bars etc. I will be advising him to do morning trips for quite some time, and making sure the forecast isn't beyond 10-15 the entire day. Thanks again mate.

Cuzza

Zooter
26-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Nature's a beautiful thing mate, Like everything it has its ugly times, I would be advising your mate to learn to crawl before he walks or even runs,

This has been my first year of owning a boat and going out through a bar etc, i only stay in the 2Nm radius and have some nice days go ugly, With a small boat your just a pea in pod out there, I would defo advise that he learn to read the weather /forcasts, be comfortable with the boat, Radio etc.
Not saying Not to go out cause thats the only way you learn but to ease into it.

After all fishing and boating is a wonderfull thing, You would hate to spoil something that good with careless actions.

LOL i still get butterflys approching that bar entrance everytime! Its what gets be out there i think :)

Vitamin Sea
26-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks Vitamin Sea. How long is your mate's boat? What hp is the motor? He definitely needs to get some sea time up, and also getting used to navigating bars etc. I will be advising him to do morning trips for quite some time, and making sure the forecast isn't beyond 10-15 the entire day. Thanks again mate.

Cuzza

Cuzza

The VSea is about 5m, a tad under for memory, he has a 90 johnno on the back, runs very well.

For a small boat they punch well above their weight.

I've got a 19' boat and I don't go out over 10-15 knts, ( outside anyway ) have still been caught out plenty of times though.

Cheers, hope he takes your advice on board.

VS