power
fuel storage
speed
fuel useage
boat over all
cheers snap

gavsgonefishing
30-10-2009, 06:39 AM
50 litres per side, just over 20 knots with max hp 40 st mariners of the same vintage which I think was early 80's. The Vin tag said number 1403, so it was early.

Good for an inshore or river boat. no good for any choppy stuff. Those assymetrical hulls and rounded front of hulls really made it perform and slap around like a wounded pig. Its a very wet boat.

It has a fibreglass moulded floor with one bulkhead and a hardwood stringer that is bound to have been rotted out. he tanks are placed in foam, oh thats right, I bet the boat will weigh a ton as the foam will be full of water.

This boat wasnt really thought out well, there is no dash room for the electronics and no achour room for more that about 30-50 metres of rope, and certainly no room for anchors.

Saying all that I still have it, slightly modified.

Hope this helps

Noelm
30-10-2009, 07:30 AM
not too sure the older small Whalers were all that popular, they seemed to be OK, but not great, over 5M they are better, I have seen some really good river/lake boats made out of early Whalers cut to bits and modified, I reckon in some chop they would be hard to beat by any tinny, and have unrivaled stability.

catcrab
30-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Hi Snap, i just bought a 4.3 waverunner markham whaler(centre console model) it is plated as a 1993 model , running twin yammies 30 hp 3cyl ,3 carbs. i., in the process of putting after market power trim and tilt on the motors. i have just taken out the 2 fuel tanks as 1 was leaking(stainless) and i'm going to use the old fuel tank storage compartments as fish/drink whatever bins, i will replace the tanks with 1 under the forward console and 1 under motor well, old tanks were approx 45 lts each. i only took her out once before starting the small refurb, and it performed pretty well, i dashed out through the seaway and played around in the bar, with a small swell and out going depression waves and about 12knt northerly, so it was pretty messy for a small boat, tried all quarters of travel and found no vices what so ever, i was quite suprised how dry and comfortable the ride was,but like all cats the harder i pushed the ride improved. i'm no expert at all but my 2 previous boats were a 4.6 twinfisher and a haines 445f so i have had 2 good hulls of similar size to compare too, like all small boats it is still weight sensative(performance wise), but way better than any production tinnie of similar size. note i went accross the local weight bridge on the way home , and she pulled 1050 kgs. as a side note she would not stay on the plane when i shut 1 motor down, but that may change when i get trim & tilt.
Hope that helps , but i will know a lot more in a couple of months.

Drew.

wrxhoon
31-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Any twin engine boat should't plane on one engine if proped right, if you can plane on one engine it means your props are way to small.

39NESP
31-10-2009, 02:46 PM
hi i have just got this boat all help will be thankfull i all so have 1 leaking tank and the foam is all wet how do i get the tank out +all the foam
going by the water marks on the back of the boat it seems to sit on the inner deck drain holes when in the water
cheers snap

gavsgonefishing
01-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Be sure you want to go down this track. it is a fairly major messy job, the floor has to come out, then the fun begins. I have not found an easy way of getting the foam out, its just a bit at a time. I think las time I resorted to chipping it away with a crow bar. You would be surprised how much area the foam takes up when it is out.

If you replace the tanks, glass a shelf in and another bulhead to hold them in place, dont use the foam again.

BTW, is there cracks through your gelcoat in the tunnel running down the length?

Gav

39NESP
02-11-2009, 03:29 PM
hi gav
no cracks in the gelcoat how much deeper do you think it would sit in the water
if the foam is wet
what are the tanks made of
cheers snap

gavsgonefishing
03-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Mate cant remember what sort of tanks were in there, and I have no idea about how much lower it sat in the water. From memory when I bought the thing it weighed 1.02t with a single axle trailer, water in foam included.

When I bought mine it had cracked throght the gelcoat from front to back in the tunnel. Not klnowing any better at the time I thought it was superficial (or didnt think at all), there was a few dramas after a little while as I took it out side and the pounding helped the hulls take some water.

It had been sitting under a tree for close to 10 years, hence why it was so cheap. Looking back on it now he should of payed me to take it away!!

finding_time
03-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Looking back on it now he should of payed me to take it away!!

Imagine if you hadn't brought it Gav, what would you have done with all those hrs spent itching!!

39NESP

have a look at these links and see what gavs little cat looks like now:-X

The earlier mods but there were mods before these;)

http://ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=116497

The latest mods
http://ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=141890

Ian