PDA

View Full Version : Who has VHF with DSC?

Taroona
23-10-2009, 06:21 AM
I was looking to buy a new VHF with DSc and found this article. It appears that there is a bit of dumping of radio's going on that only have SC-101 capability for sending DSC distress signals. So if you are going to buy one make sure it is built to Class D requirements as a minimum

Les

VHF DSC compatibilityby Andrew Boon*
Further to the article Coastal Marine Communications by Jonathan Neeves (Afloat Apr’09) and other correspondence, the Coast Radio Hobart technical team’s experience might add a bit more confusion to the capabilities of VHF DSC.
Before installing a DSC monitoring capability, Coast Radio Hobart tested various models of VHF DSC radios. Our original intention was to establish a facility for vessels to automatically report their positions, either ad hoc or in response to a poll from a shore station, in addition to listening for DSC distress calls.
The idea was to install a fixed VHF receiver at one of our base station sites and feed the received signal into a computer running a programme called DSCdecoder.
This software has been used extensively in Europe and America for some years, but we didn’t get to first base with it. There is no local VHF DSC traffic so we set up two Standard Horizon GX1256S radios and made test calls. DSCdecoder could not decode any of the calls. The reason was that the baud rate of the radios was 0.6% slower than the nominal rate; this took a couple of weeks to find, with much cooperation from the programme’s author.
At the same time, we did a search of the internet for any reference to incompatibilities between various models of DSC radio. There is not much written about this subject (only one US Coastguard reference found), so we might have concluded that all is well, but subsequent testing dispelled that idea.
There are two standards relevant to recreational vessels (ie not requiring full GMDSS compliance): Class D and SC-101.
The Class D is an international specification (which has been altered slightly over the years) and SC-101 is a US standard which is now obsolete. All new DSC radios produced should meet the Class D standard.
A major difference between Class D and SC-101 is the lack of a dedicated DSC receiver in the SC-101 units; if you are listening to a transmission on another channel, you will not receive a DSC call.
We set up five radios on the bench and made DSC calls between them. The radios were: Standard Horizon GX1256S (two units), Icom IC-M422, GME GX600D and a Uniden Oceanus. Some of the results are listed below.
1. When a ‘Position Send’ (or ‘Position Report’) was sent to the Icom M422 from any of the other radios, the M422 displays the received latitude and longitude on a scrolling display, but it does not display the sending vessel’s ID (MMSI) or the time of the report.
2. When a Standard Horizon GX1256S or the Uniden Oceanus sends a ‘Position Request’ to the M422, the Icom sends the information (it was set for auto-acknowledge) and all information (MMSI, time, Lat/Lon) is displayed on the GX1256S and the Uniden. If the GPS is disconnected from the Icom, the response to a Position Request has the time of the last valid GPS position attached.
3. When the GME GX600D sends a ‘Position Request’ to the M422, the M422 replies (separately monitored) but the GME displays ‘No Reply’. The GME sends Position Request calls as ‘Safety’ category, the other radios send them as ‘Routine’ category. This affects the alert tone of the Icom (louder for Safety than for Routine).
4. When the Standard Horizon GX1256S sends a ‘Position Request’ to the GME GX600D, there is no response from the GME. (Note that the latest Class D specification does not require the capability for polling and position reporting calls.)
5. When the Standard Horizon sends a Position Request to the Uniden, the Uniden responds and all information is displayed. If the GPS is disconnected from the Uniden, it responds and the Standard Horizon displays ‘NO POSITION DATA’.
6. When any radio sends a Group Call, all other radios respond appropriately. (The GME did not respond with the group MMSI we initially used 015652500. Make sure your Group MMSI starts with 0503!)
7. When the Standard Horizon, GME or Uniden radios make an Individual Call to a shore station (the second Standard Horizon with MMSI 00503135), the shore station radio responds appropriately (alert tone, all radios switch to voice channel).
8. When the Icom M422 sends an Individual Call to the shore station, the shore station replies with an ‘Unable To Comply’ response and does not sound an alert tone. The Icom is an SC-101 radio but it complies with the Class D requirement that it not specify a voice channel when making an individual call to a shore station – the shore station is supposed to select the channel.
9. When the GME sends an Individual Call to the Icom, the time taken to send a manual acknowledgement from the Icom is too long for the GME to wait and it times out. The Icom cannot be set to auto-acknowledge Individual Calls.
Of the radios tested, only the GME was rated as meeting the DSC Class D standard. The Uniden claimed to meet Class D requirements but did not have a dedicated Ch70 DSC receiver (you can check this by opening the mute while on a voice channel and sending a DSC call to the radio – if it fails to respond to the DSC call, it does not have a dedicated Ch70 DSC receiver and is not Class D). The other radios were built to the SC-101 standard.
These tests are by no means conclusive, but based on our experience to date, it is no wonder VHF DSC is so little used. Any shore system we set up would have to cater for both Class D and SC-101 units, especially as the prices of the SC-101 units are now being discounted to move them off the shelves.
There’s a lot of them around. The long term future of a DSC-based position reporting system doesn’t look good, as any new radios may not have that feature. Maybe AIS will help!
Back to Jonathan Neeves’s article, in which he makes the statement: “So for those vessel owners with DSC enabled VHF radios – do not rely on your DSC emergency call to prompt your rescue – nobody is listening!” This has been disputed, as many VMR stations as well as ship stations are monitoring channel 70 for at least some of the time.
However, unless the VMRs have DSC equipment meeting Class A specifications (full GMDSS compliance for big ships), they (and ship stations other than Class A) are not able to acknowledge your DSC distress call.
If you have an SC-101 radio, there is a good chance that your radio will stay on Ch70 waiting for an acknowledgement, while the stations that received your call are voice-calling you on Ch16.
Try and remember that when it all hits the fan and you’re thinking that everyone is ignoring you!
There is value in using the DSC distress button – receiving stations will see your position displayed – but the procedure must be to manually switch to Ch16 after you have pressed the DSC distress button.
Coast Radio Hobart will monitor channel 70 for DSC traffic. We might hear you if you selectively call us, depending on what type of radio you have. We will hear you if you call us on channel 16.
* Andrew Boon is a member of Coast Radio Hobart technical team. aboon@bigpond.com

ozscott
23-10-2009, 06:45 AM
I have an ICOM. I bought it off whitworths and they told me that it would plot any DSC calls I had on my GPS Chartplotter. I had the radio for a long while before realising that this wasnt the case and that a DSC call would come up on my ICOM screen with lat and long but I would then have to manually enter a waypoint into my GPS plotter for that lat and long. Of course making outgoing DSC calls it works the way it should. Apparently you need a line out wire to get the incoming DSC co-ordinates to plot on the plotter.... Anyway I didnt bother going back to whitworths and getting upset because its a magic radio, it has DSC out (emergency) and it was about $200 cheaper than the next icom that had the DSC plotting capability.

Cheers

finga
23-10-2009, 07:13 AM
I have DSC in the tinny.
I have the in and out wires
But I have not got a plotter in the Tinny (only GPS) so it's of no use anyways
I cannot remember the class of it but I can programme in names to match the MMSI numbers so (if I had a plotter) I can see who's on the map and where if they transmit or send a signal (simplicity put).

oldboot
23-10-2009, 09:19 AM
It seems the most important thing to take from this thread is............If you make a DSC distress call, do not rely on the DCS and immediately switch to CH 16 ( or other appropriate channel) and make a voice call as well.

I don't think any of the VMS's monitor DSC arround the southern bay yet.

cheers

QF3 MROCP
02-11-2009, 09:58 PM
It seems the most important thing to take from this thread is............If you make a DSC distress call, do not rely on the DCS and immediately switch to CH 16 ( or other appropriate channel) and make a voice call as well.

I don't think any of the VMS's monitor DSC arround the southern bay yet.

cheers

Oldboot .. try any of the bar including VKR Water Police...

As you say, make sure the radio automatically goes over to channel 16 and start voicing your distress, urgency call ...

The world's best salesman was the one who sold the very first FAX machine...

Marlin_Mike
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM
its not mandatory, its not monitored, at least not properly, so whats the big deal?

We have GPS, radios, mobile phones, epirbs, etc etc why does DSC all of a sudden become critical? how much emergancy protection do we need? I have VHF without DSC, dont see a need for it myself,

Mike

oldboot
02-11-2009, 10:34 PM
the problem is that people have DSC radios.....with a bid red emergency button on them...and have an expectation that they are monitored.

I'd like to know which of the costal stations monitor DSC.... and how effective their DSC monitoring equipment is.....the point of the original thread.

This is why I didn't buy a DSC radio.

OH the first fax machine wasn't sold...it was developed and designed by CSIRO for use by the aussie BOM.........and no we aren't getting any royalties.

this whole issue is typical......early versions often have problems with compatability...there were 20 something versions of video tape before we settled on VHS for domestic use.

they are still fighting over DVD standards

mobile phone standards will never settle down.....got a new 3G phone....a company wants to roll out 4G in australia.

And I won't be buying a digital broadcast radio for a year or two.

I just hope these manufacturers get there act together on DSC for low end radios.

Interesting the even the ICOM, the suposed top shelf radio does not fully comply.

cheers

Hornet Rider
02-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Taroona, thanks for putting up the post - great read. I bet that Andrew Boon is a real Mr Gadget. If I was putting a team together that needed a comms guy, I'd pick him before a lot of other blokes.

DSC is the ants pants, if you're in the USA. A bit like Loran-C (son of Loran-A). Brilliant system & I relied heavily on it when I was flying in the USA & do high altitude jumps from 35K, but like DSC only delivers it's full potential in CONUS.
http://www.jproc.ca/hyperbolic/loran_c.html

But I do have a DSC, a GME600D. Had a GME600 & needed another one for my other boat. Bloke on here was selling his brand new 600D at a bargain price because he wanted an ICOM. Swapped the 600 in my Express with the 600D & put the 600 in my other boat. The 600D is Class D, is loaded with my MMSI, is linked to my Lowrance GPS/plotter & displays LAT/LONG of other DSC enabled vessels when they tx, but I wouldn't have a clue who they are, probably commercial shipping buy the plots way out in the oggen but in reality it's mostly white noise. Haven't seen or received any distress calls yet. I wonder if that young lady in the pink sail boat has DSC?

I know some on here have said they've had nightmares with their GME600s but both of mine must be Wednesday radios - both are behaving themselves.

Brilliant innovation DSC, if you're in the USA. Could also be operative in Europe, but don't know.

cheers, HR

Hornet Rider
02-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Sorry, double post...

ozscott
03-11-2009, 06:21 AM
I have it, but I wouldnt rely on it (and never have because i was aware of the limitations). The other failing is that it can be cancelled if another station accepts the sos....

Anyway there comes a point where, how much time do you have to do make use of all the emergency stuff. I still think I would crank out a maday manually and then press the button after announcing on 16 of that intention because the DSC of course sends out lat and long which is sweet. But of course if you get thrown out in the bar you had better have the floating grab bag with the 'pirb in it..

Cheers

Taroona
03-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Don't worry about going over on a bar.

How about you are out with your 10 year old child fishing and have a heart attack or some such thing that renders you incapable of sending a mayday . The ten year old would only need to know how to press the distress button.

Is it not time all the rescue services got into the 21st centuary with technology.

Even if one life saved is it not worth it.

ozscott
03-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Taroona - I couldnt agree more which is why my 10 year old and the smaller ones and my wife now to lift the tab, press the button and wait until the beeps have ended to the continuous beep beore releasing - just in case I have a cardiac or something similar. I mean lets face it most commercial shipping has it and would likely respond. My point is that I wouldnt rely on it myself...ie I wouldnt press it first up I dont think, but it would depend how much time I had and whether I was well within range for the purposes of audio,, cause the DSC is a burst data signal and will travel much further.

Cheers

Marlin_Mike
03-11-2009, 02:44 PM
quote - Is it not time all the rescue services got into the 21st centuary with technology - unquote

easy to say, hard to do on limited budgets and funding

Mike

DTHCoCo
03-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeh I got dsc on my icom ic-603

Taroona
03-11-2009, 06:58 PM
quote - Is it not time all the rescue services got into the 21st centuary with technology - unquote

easy to say, hard to do on limited budgets and funding

Mike

Isn't as simple as having a DSC capable VHF radio which could be donated by a Chandlery/ fishing club and they could be given some advertising space at the local VMR/VCG. Imean a decent VHF doesn't cost an arm and a leg. What about suppliers giving them to sponsers at a cost price. Seems like good advertising to me....
Maybe I'm a bit nieve to think that suppliers would be interested in something like this

Maybe the VMR/VCG could approach the many chandleries around and try to get one donated (tax deduction to the supplier).

I'm sure if one the many fishing clubs got together and said to their members we want a $1.00 donation to pay for a DSC capable VHF to donate to their local VMR/VCG they would all say "yeah lets do it"

Just a thought... why not try to get the ball rolling I'll put in some money....

oldboot
03-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Yeh have a good read of the original post.....exactly which radio should they have..that will be fully compliant and capable of handling all DSC streams.......then you would need probably a computer and the appropriate software for a practical display......then it would be nesessary to either integrate that with a mapping application of a largish screen plotter.

Then you will need someone smart enough to resolve all the protocol conflicts......and it has to run 100% or you are in trouble.... then there is the training.

I recon $3G to $4G......if you aren't paying someone to set it up.

think about it.

cheers