PDA

View Full Version : Do my crab pots require floats?

woppa
22-10-2009, 09:27 PM
I can't find a regulation anywhere in the DPI Fishing Regulations document that states a crab pot requires a float. The diagram provided has a picture of one but it is not stated anywhere that it is mandatory. :-/

Do I need one or not?
Can anyone solve this?
Cheers
Woppa

LBGaddict
22-10-2009, 09:33 PM
6" diameter float is mandatory
Failure to comply, results in the pots being deemed as abandoned and a hazard. Therefore are free game for anyone to take.

bobby boy
22-10-2009, 09:36 PM
hey there woppa...as of march this year you have to have floats on your pots now...

blueline
23-10-2009, 12:57 PM
I can't find a regulation anywhere in the DPI Fishing Regulations document that states a crab pot requires a float. The diagram provided has a picture of one but it is not stated anywhere that it is mandatory. :-/

Do I need one or not?
Can anyone solve this?
Cheers
Woppa

New crab laws introduced 22 October 2009

New crab laws introduced

New crabbing rules designed to protect the sustainability of Queensland's crab fishery have been introduced.

Minister for Primary Industries, Fisheries and Rural and Regional Queensland Tim Mulherin said the changes had been implemented to ensure future generations could enjoy catching species such as the famous Queensland mud crab.

"Changes to the rules include a new single measurement requirement for mud crabs," Mr Mulherin said.

"The size of the crab now needs to be measured across the top of the shell (carapace) at the widest point with a 15cm minimum size limit.

"Previously fishers could measure the underside of the crab if the topside was damaged - this new measurement is irrespective of whether the shell is damaged or chipped.

"While the size limit for a crab is unchanged, the single measurement removes the capacity for smaller crabs to be taken by fishers using the alterna te under body measurement."

Mr Mulherin said the changes had also been made to crab pot use.

"If a crab pot is attached to a fixed object, such as a tree, it must be attached by a rope with a tag visible above the high water mark.

"The tag has to bear the owner's name for recreational fishers or boat mark for commercial fishers," he said.

"All other pots must have a surface float attached measuring 15 cm in all directions."

Mr Mulherin said changes had also been made to the use of trot line apparatus for commercial fishers.

For more information contact the Queensland Primary Industries and Fisheries Business Information Centre on 13 25 23 or visit www.dpi.qld.gov.au

Media: Matt Watson 3239 3120

mowerman
23-10-2009, 03:48 PM
And not those bloody dark green mongrels either.

Rod

slyman
23-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Failure to comply, results in the pots being deemed as abandoned and a hazard. Therefore are free game for anyone to take.

Sure mate, if you want to be found in possession of illegal fishing apparatus or accused of share-farming/pot theft, go right ahead ::)

Blueline is on the mark.

TheRealAndy
23-10-2009, 05:46 PM
This is taken DIRECTLY from the legislation found here: http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/F/FisherR08.pdf

Using crab apparatus
(1) A recreational fisher may use a crab pot, collapsible trap, dilly
or inverted dilly (each of which is an item of crab apparatus)
only if the fisher uses the crab apparatus for taking a crab in
compliance with—
(a) subsections (2) to (4); and
(b) subsections (5) and (6), if applicable.

(2) The recreational fisher must not use more than a total of 4
items of crab apparatus, including any combination of items
of crab apparatus, to take crabs.

(3) Also, the recreational fisher must ensure that—
(a) a tag, on which is written the surname and address of the
owner of the crab apparatus, is attached to the apparatus;
and
(b) the crab apparatus is attached by a rope to either—
(i) a float complying with subsection (4); or
(ii) a fixed object above the high water mark, including
for example, a jetty or tree; and
(c) if the crab apparatus is attached to a fixed object under
paragraph (b)(ii)—a tag, on which is written the
surname of the owner of the apparatus, is attached to the
part of the rope above the high water mark.

(4) For subsection (3)(b)(i), the float must—
(a) be light coloured and clearly visible on the surface of
the water; and
(b) be at least 15cm in all its dimensions; and
(c) have written on it the surname of the owner of the crab
apparatus to which it is attached.

oldboot
25-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Its always wise to check the legeslation......you just cant depend on the published guides.

Just about every one has a mistake or omission.....and there are a variety of changes that will be taking place over the next little while............you have to be xxxxxx Sherlock Holmes to keep up with it all.

cheers

LBGaddict
25-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Sure mate, if you want to be found in possession of illegal fishing apparatus or accused of share-farming/pot theft, go right ahead ::)

Blueline is on the mark.

Actively setting an illegal apparatus would be a bad idea, but I've got no probelm emptying an illegally marked pot up on the bank if its in the way.

Razgo-
25-10-2009, 08:27 PM
you know i have never seen a proper crab pot with name tags on them. well not around coochie anyway. they seem to be mainly old containers or sometimes a white buoy without tags.

i'm really not sure if fisheries actually go out and check the waters for these pots?
if they do they sure to miss a hell of a lot of illegal pots.

woppa
26-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks for your answers everyone. I guess that answers my question.
Tight lines
Woppa

TheRealAndy
26-10-2009, 08:02 PM
you know i have never seen a proper crab pot with name tags on them. well not around coochie anyway. they seem to be mainly old containers or sometimes a white buoy without tags.

i'm really not sure if fisheries actually go out and check the waters for these pots?
if they do they sure to miss a hell of a lot of illegal pots.

I guess most people dont realise your name needs to be on the float.

I warned people out of the green zone at shorncliffe again the other day. They had actually read the sign at the boat ramp and misunderstood it. They were not going out to break the rules, in fact they were trying to follow them. The real problem is that the rules dont make sense to a lot of people. If you take a read of the legislation I posted its not exactly the easiest of reading.

sleepygreg
26-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Maybe they could put BIG signs at places like the Gayundah Arboretum, that sa simply "YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO F&$KIN FISH HERE". I saw about 8 people fishing along the path there on the weekend....but they were the reverse baseball cap wearing, dark skinned WRX driving types with the gold chains around the neck......no way I was going to tell them they shouldnt be fishing there. But then again...they probably would ignore those signs anyway.

Razgo-
27-10-2009, 07:06 AM
The thing is either non of this is actually being monitored or no one really cares and are sick of being in an over regulated police state.

It does make me wonder however the agenda or motivations of some of the law enforcers.

Hell even I'm not clear on how it all works myself or whats involved regarding what fisheries and msq officers can do or can't do or will do?

I just wonder because as i have seen on these boards any one of us can go out on any givern day and see illegal crab pots out there.

But fisheries and MSQ can't?

or is it a case of no man power to actually do anything?

or is it a case of "lets try education" first before the fines start rolling out kind of like a moratorium before they all get serious?

or is it selective hearing and seeing?

Now this isn't to say that they aren't out there pulling out illegal crab pots because i don't know the stats on that.

If a crab pot is illegal according to law then does that crab pot become know as "litter"?

If so then anyone can pick up illegal crab pots and take them under the "litter" rule and cleaning up the environment. It would not be seen as tampering or interfering with another persons property if it's deemed litter

It's just all too hard at the end of the day i think.

I can understand the rules on crab pots and have no issues with it at all.

It just seems there are rules for one person but another for others.

But i am pretty sure the bigger issue regarding crab pots is crab pot thieves which is difficult to prove with video or photo evidence.

I was shocked when i reported an illegal swing mooring after it had ripped a big hole in the back of by boat only for MSQ to say it would 3 months before they could get to it!

The thieves and illegal activity have it easy on our waters!

TheRealAndy
27-10-2009, 08:42 AM
The thing is either non of this is actually being monitored or no one really cares and are sick of being in an over regulated police state.

It does make me wonder however the agenda or motivations of some of the law enforcers.

Hell even I'm not clear on how it all works myself or whats involved regarding what fisheries and msq officers can do or can't do or will do?

I just wonder because as i have seen on these boards any one of us can go out on any givern day and see illegal crab pots out there.

But fisheries and MSQ can't?

or is it a case of no man power to actually do anything?

or is it a case of "lets try education" first before the fines start rolling out kind of like a moratorium before they all get serious?

or is it selective hearing and seeing?

It is simply a case of lack of man power. Now if our idiot government had actually used DPIF to manage the fisheries, then they could have given the DPIF all the people and boats that were given to the EPA. But the would rather double up on resources so they look good for the greens.

Dont worry, you are not the only one who is frustrated by this, you should talk to a lot of the boating and fisheries patrol and they are in the same frame of mind.

Now this isn't to say that they aren't out there pulling out illegal crab pots because i don't know the stats on that.

If a crab pot is illegal according to law then does that crab pot become know as "litter"?

If so then anyone can pick up illegal crab pots and take them under the "litter" rule and cleaning up the environment. It would not be seen as tampering or interfering with another persons property if it's deemed litter

A crab pot is and always will be a fishing apparatus. Therefore it is illegal for anyone to intefere with it regardless of the condition its in.

I spoke at length with a guy from Boating and Fisheries Patrol. I wanted to somehow get permission to remove abandoned pots from nundah creek, but its not possible without legislation change. When I get the time I am going to start hounding the minister for a solution on this issue.

Boating and Fisheries Patrol will, and do remove illegal pots. However, when you consider they have 6 crews at pinkenba, and 2 at ...(wellington point?) to run the whole of the brisbane region and its tributaries you soon realise pretty quickly exactly how under resourced they are.

I need to contact the EPA (DERM) and get some indication of how many staff/boats they hae in action now.

It's just all too hard at the end of the day i think.

I can understand the rules on crab pots and have no issues with it at all.

It just seems there are rules for one person but another for others.

But i am pretty sure the bigger issue regarding crab pots is crab pot thieves which is difficult to prove with video or photo evidence.

I was shocked when i reported an illegal swing mooring after it had ripped a big hole in the back of by boat only for MSQ to say it would 3 months before they could get to it!

The thieves and illegal activity have it easy on our waters!

I honestly beleive that the crab pot theft issues is smaller than people think. A lot of people claim that pots are stolen/ interfered with when actually they float away downstream in big tides and bait is taken by eels and bait fish.

One thing you will notice is that on very big tides you will always get a post here on AF stating that someone has had pots stolen. Coincidence?

oldboot
27-10-2009, 09:17 AM
this under resourcing is not exclusive to the marine & fisheries......it is deliberate and systemic.

When was the last time any body saw an electrical inspector, a workplace & safety inspector or for that matter a traffic policeman doind anything other than speeding or alcahol inforcement.

This gvernment is very keen on spending money on telling how wonderfull it is, and paying its dozens of media consultants.....but it consistently fails to fund grass roots enforcement, education and other services.

cheers

Razgo-
27-10-2009, 06:00 PM
It is simply a case of lack of man power. Now if our idiot government had actually used DPIF to manage the fisheries, then they could have given the DPIF all the people and boats that were given to the EPA. But the would rather double up on resources so they look good for the greens.

Dont worry, you are not the only one who is frustrated by this, you should talk to a lot of the boating and fisheries patrol and they are in the same frame of mind.

forgive my ignorance but whats a DPIF?

A crab pot is and always will be a fishing apparatus. Therefore it is illegal for anyone to intefere with it regardless of the condition its in.

I spoke at length with a guy from Boating and Fisheries Patrol. I wanted to somehow get permission to remove abandoned pots from nundah creek, but its not possible without legislation change. When I get the time I am going to start hounding the minister for a solution on this issue.

Boating and Fisheries Patrol will, and do remove illegal pots. However, when you consider they have 6 crews at pinkenba, and 2 at ...(wellington point?) to run the whole of the brisbane region and its tributaries you soon realise pretty quickly exactly how under resourced they are.

I need to contact the EPA (DERM) and get some indication of how many staff/boats they hae in action now.

this is where my theory if we deem an illegal crab pot "illegal" it then becomes "litter" so it will fall under litter regulations which would in turn allow anyone to remove the rubbish.

just a theory of course. and open to abuse i guess too.

I honestly beleive that the crab pot theft issues is smaller than people think. A lot of people claim that pots are stolen/ interfered with when actually they float away downstream in big tides and bait is taken by eels and bait fish.

One thing you will notice is that on very big tides you will always get a post here on AF stating that someone has had pots stolen.

yes it would be interesting to know how many are actually being stolen as opposed to being lost. I reckon we not not hear about half of it here but as a lot of fisherman don't even have Internet.

slyman
27-10-2009, 07:06 PM
[quote=Razgo-;1089393]forgive my ignorance but whats a DPIF?

quote]

DPIF = Department of Primary Industries & Fisheries

Razgo-
27-10-2009, 07:16 PM
ta :), So DPIF don't manage themselves?

TheRealAndy
27-10-2009, 07:48 PM
ta :), So DPIF don't manage themselves?

They do to the extent the legislation allows, or until the minister receives directives from premier...