PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Compliance plate?

svranjic
22-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi

I just purchased and received delivery of a Dunbier Supa Roller trailer, as some of you may have read my previous post about the old one.

Anyhow upon going to change the insurance policy on my existing rig I have noticed the Trailer has been insured as a 2008 model..... further to this I have noticed the compliance plate on the trailer says 08/2008

I am assuming this is because the frames are built in bulk and then stored, only to be used to build a complete trailer to the specs of an order down the track. My question is should the compliance plate on a brand new trailer say this? shouldnt they have placed the compliance plate on the trailer after it had been built to specs? which would then make it 10/2008

The trailer is obviously unused but you can see my issue here going to insure, or possibly down the track sell a trailer that is brand new but registered as a 2008 model.

I have contacted the dealership regarding the issue and they have offered to swap the compliance plate over...... which upon consideration actually makes the matter worse because the trailer has already now been registered as a 2008, placing a new compliance plate with a different Chassis number and build date on it makes matters worse because the rego papers will be different to the compliance details.

Any feedback here would be great

lee8sec
22-10-2009, 05:35 AM
Was it a display unit?
It would need the rego cancelled, new chassis number, new comp plate & new rego.
But it would still have the old chassis number stamped out, which could raise questions later when you want to sell it. Leigh

finga
22-10-2009, 07:11 AM
It's an old trailer. Nothing can change that.
If you brought a new trailer ask for a new trailer. The same as if you brought a car

Dicko
22-10-2009, 09:11 AM
It shouldn't be an issue. They'll just make the plate up with the same Chassis number as the original.

oldboot
22-10-2009, 11:02 AM
not unusual on cars either.

so often you see car adds.....compliance ####......first registered YYYY

the trailer may have been arround complete for some time waiting for delivery or sale..particularly if it isn't a common size or model.

Swapping the compliance plate is hell dodgy.....and if it is already registered with all the detail may raise issues sometime in the future.....I'd let sleeping dogs lie.

cheers

Noelm
22-10-2009, 11:50 AM
am I missing something, or are you saying your trailer is an 8/2008, but should be a 10/2008? like a whole 2 months newer! or is it a typo and you mean 10/2009

oldboot
22-10-2009, 12:25 PM
after all when you are buying a used trailer...particularly one that is under a boat...you aren't looking at year model you are looking at condition.

It's not like next years model will look or work any different.

OH... BTW have you done over it with a spanner and a tub of grease yet.

I've just picked up a newy..and it took me over a day....just to undoo everybolt..grease it and do it up again....and add a few washers.

cheers

svranjic
22-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Sorry this was a typo. Trailer is stamped 08/2008 but was purchased 10/2009

Trailer was not a display model etc was ordered from dunbier and I actually had to wait for it to be supposedly built.

Trailer hasnt been used or anything its just it is a bit of a shock that you spend $3145 on a trailer brand new and wait for it to be ordered etc and find it is stamped with a compliance plate saying it is over 1 year old.......

The swapping of compliance plates AFTER the trailer has been registered is dodgie. I sure as hell arent paying for it to be re registered.

I think I will have to let this one go and just leave it, I should have checked this more thoroughly before taking delivery of it. But then you would expect when you purchased, order and wait for a brand new trailer that it actually be brand new.

I havent started tightening bolts etc but I have managed to adjust rollers the best I could. Im thinking of giving it a good soaking with Lanox

Noelm
22-10-2009, 01:57 PM
I kind of doubt that a prospective buyer some time way down the track would ever check the build date of the trailer, but you never know.

geoffmck
22-10-2009, 03:17 PM
I just bought a new Dunbier trailer from JV and mine is stamped 10/09.
If I was you I would be pissed off too.
I would ask the dealer/manufacturer to swap the compliance plate for a new one.

gr hilly
22-10-2009, 08:25 PM
my new trailer was built 1 month when i got it new meens new
hilly

svranjic
22-10-2009, 09:39 PM
hhmmmm

Well This trailer is unused ie had all brand new stickers etc on the tyres. Dealership has told me the frame would have been made in bulk a while ago thus the older compliance plate. Thats fair enough.

Anyhow apparently the dealership has received a new compliance plate from dunbier..... they wanna change it tommorow, I have told them this will not be happening unless the rego details are also changed. If not they arent touching it.

Did I mention Dunbier make nice trailers!? really happy with it - minus the compliance plate thing ofcoarse

Cheers for replies!

ozbee
23-10-2009, 11:22 AM
you would be better of with a 08 as the galv has some chance to oxidise a bit before hitting the salt . no body worries about trailer dates except there conditions . forget it trailers don't come in year design models

svranjic
24-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Just an update on the compliance plate issue.

Called the salesperson at the dealership who told me the new compliance plate from Dunbier had arrived and asked if I could bring the boat down. I asked how the registration details would be changed and informed him no swapping of compliance plates will be occuring unless registration details are also amended. Anyhow he said the owner had looked into it and to call him tommorow and he would provide details.

Called him next day to ask whats happening, says he hasnt had time to speak with dealer but to bring the boat down and we will sort rego and compliance out typical dealer response - dont worry!!! just come down and we will fix it! :-/

Bring the boat down to dealership and am taken to dealers office. hands me a new compliance plate and then proceeds to tell me nothing he can do about the registration, its too much messing around, too hard and not willing to look into it considering the amount I paid for the trailer. Also went on to tell me there would be nothing wrong with swapping compliance plates without changing registration details...... I politely informed him otherwise. What I found more surprising was that he was trying to foot the blame of the registration error on the licensing department. It has absolutely nothing to do with them! He is the clown who filled out the registration papers, didnt he think to himself when writing down 2008 on the papaers that hey this is a brand new trailer!!!!??? Fault lies solely at his feet, whats even funnier is that I waited 3 days for him to register it, how could he not have realised a problem on the licence papers and compliance plate. Seems pretty dumb / lazy to me.

There is nothing worse than a dealer who gets your money and then is too lazy to fix the problem and has his head too far stuck up his ass to admit maybe the fault lies with themselves.

So I took the compliance plate and told them not to touch the boat. Went home and called licensing who are going to contact me regarding changing the registration details. Not hard at all, but I guess picking up the phone and asking a question is a difficult task?

Had no problems whatsoever with the salesperson, Dealer principle however - Total knob sack

oldboot
25-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Oh I am sure main roads would be interested to hear about all this..........they get very agitated and protective of compliance plates.

We now have two compliance plates in circulation with the same VIN number:o.

As far as main roads are concerned compliance plates are sacred and holy.

If the compliance plate was to be changed / replaced it should have been done before regestration.

there is no option as to what goes on the rego papers.....it has to be what is on the compliance plate.

I will be very intrerested to hear how main roads handle this.

cheers