PDA

View Full Version : custom boat covers

BUCA T
21-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey fellas, my new yaltacraft should be here in a few months and im contemplating getting a custom cover made up for it as i dont have a shed to stick it in. Firstly has anyone had any dramas with dust getting under their cover and scratching the gelcoat and what would you expect to pay for a good quality cover to fit a 6m boat. Any info would be wicked.

cheers buca t

ozscott
21-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Mate - about $350-$400 - I got from whitworths and its a beauty - I will take pictures. Very HD and actually much better quality (really top) than expected and fits very well also

Cheers

Greg P
21-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Custom cover will set you back around $2000 depending on the material.

Plenty of posts on this if you look through the search function.

ozscott
21-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I got quoted $4k for mine if trailerable...but the semi customs are sweet up to $400

Chimo
21-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi bucat

I recently (2 weeks ago) picked up a new tarp to replace one that I've been using for a while to cover the Vag (6.2m plus motors). Needed to wear a face mask when putting the old one on and taking it off because of all the silver flecks coming off it.

After hunting around all the usual options I hit the web got a 7.2 m by 9 m "Super Heavy Duty Premium Grade (295gm²) Green/ White" with a 3 yr guarantee. They have outlets in Sydney and the Gold Coast and some other distributers too that I didn’t worry about. They seemed happy to please and gave me a little discount so after a bit of haggling got it for $255.

NB But later when I checked it out it was too big so they let me swap it for a 6m by 9m for about $225.

An interesting comment they made was to swap sides (exposed to the sun) every so often to make most use of the UV stabilizer in the tarp. Same 3 yr warranty and I intend to reverse it and put the white side out to the sun every so often to extend the life. Should get 5yrs out of it i think so 225/5 = $45 pa for a boat cover seemss ok I think.

They freight their stuff too or pick it up if your on or near the GC contact 1300 557 540

Cheers
Chimo

PS I got a quote on a custom job and it was about $3500 or 4K, like thats going to happen!

rakinray
22-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey Chimo that cover sounds just what im looking for could you post some pics of it on your boat ?

CHEERS RAY.

hakuna
22-10-2009, 04:22 PM
What is the website?

cheers

markbxy
22-10-2009, 04:52 PM
company called southside marine trimming at yatala will custom make one to fit ur boat he quoted me 750 and i have a 565l haines with a full targa top and rocket launches good luck if u need the no. let me know ill dig it up

Chimo
22-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Pic as requested

9m goes from bow and also covers motors
6 m width works well in the centre and allows good breeze / draft in the boat. The excess is controlled with a tuck on each side at the front and rear.

The tarp has little movement in the few strong winds so far. The "cammo" green looks OK and when I turn it over the white side will be a nice bright change.

website is http://www.southerntarps.com.au/index.html and the 1300 number shown on the web site is Sydney. The other 1300 in the post above is the Gold Coast

Cheers
Chimo

PS If your going to sling a tarp or a cover over the top and you have rocket launchers I suggest you consider a length of pvc across the top of the RL with right angle elbows and the same large size pvc into the rod holder on each side. Tarp slides over the pvc well and wont rub holes in itself.

To get tarp off I lift the sides onto the roof and roll each end into the centre and tie the two rolls into a bundle. Unroll and drop to put it on and tighten the rope along each side.

Sandman
23-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Chimo,
Hope it goes well for you, i have had the same prob i have been through to many of those tarps now the sun really does get to them and you will find there will be a world of crap left in your boat. I to have gone down the road of looking at spending the money for a custom Tarp, i am now trying out old parchutes, they are not water proof but they do keep the crap out , i am yet to find out how they go in the sun. But they are nice and light dont leave scuff marks on the boat and reasonable in $$ i suggest a colored one as this will reduce sun exposure to the boat.
Mick

Chimo
23-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Hi Mick

The sun does get to the tarps but thats why there is a tarp on so the sun can do its darndest on it and not the boat. The new tarp has a 3 yr warranty vs the 12month on the silver B9nnings ones. Actually the new one was cheaper with 3yr w vs the lesser quality silver ones from the B9nnin7s etc I guess because its from the main man who's further up the food chain!

The last silver tarp that was on the boat was narrower ie about 4.5 m wide and I did get some dust into the boat on the first dust storm with it on. After the new bigger (wider 6m) one went on before the last dust event there was no dust in the boat so wider seems better. Also with the overhang there is room to have a good gap between the side of the boat and the tarp so good air flow as mould is to be avoided.

Like you I priced the custom covers but they are just not cost effective if you cf them to tarps that will last for say 5 yrs and cost 200 or 300 instead 2 or 3 K for a similar lifespan.

If you only want a dust cover maybe the old parchutes will work, not sure how durable they wil be in the sun though?

The only issue with tarps so far with rubbing was on the front corner of the sunbrella when the old silver tarp was loose. Fixed now. No probs of scuffing on the glass with bow rails etc and the new tarp is heavier material so less prone to flap.

Hope the parachute works out for you Mick. Maybe it can double as a sea anchor too::)

Cheers
Chimo

Spaniard_King
23-10-2009, 08:45 AM
This one was on my old 580 haines (think it was $1800), Current boat has a removeable shade sail over it which seems to be ok as well

Sandman
23-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Chimo,
Im with you on all of that , my isssue with the tarps is the shape omy boat being a super centre consol , the best one i could get as a cover was from the states amazinly , i think in the long run thats the way i will go unless i get another boat which maybe on the cards..
Yeh it will be a test for the chute material V sun just crossing my fingers , yeh otherwise it can double up as a huge sea anchor :) think that might sink the boat :) If the weather was better i would need to cover the bloody boat so much .
Mick