PDA

View Full Version : Polycraft 4.5 Drifter Help

breakthelines
21-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Looking at buying my first boat, looked at different types of tinnies but like the look of the boat mentioned in the title.

Would be set up like so;

Polycraft 450 Drifter Open
Honda 40HP Four Stroke Outboard Motor
Carpeted Front and Rear Decks
Front Casting Deck Extension
Rear cast deck Insert
Humminbird 788CXi Combo
Nav & Anchor Lights
Rear Storage Box Plumbed
Minn Kota RT55 SP/FP/AP and Co-pilot
70 Litre Under Floor Fuel Tank

Does anyone have any advice for me or recommendations? ;D

Plastic_Magic
21-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Mate with the description mentioned u will never hop in a tinny again. And thats being serious. Awsome boat, Stable, gud ride only thing a lil wet in rough sea but wat open boats aint. If i was u i would be going a poly every day ofthe week.

Cheers PM

themissus
21-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Noice!! We've contemplated selling our 4.55 front runner to get a side console drifter. But the change over kills us.
I love my poly and don't think i'd ever go back to a tin boat.
Cheers Kim.

Bear001
21-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I dont have any experience in the poly - but 40hp seems a little underpowered for a 4.5m? But that will depend on your use.

Cindy

Blackened
21-10-2009, 02:31 PM
G'day

Agree wit Cindy...... More HP needed.

Dave

Plastic_Magic
21-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Yeh 40hp will only just push it. 40hp suits the 4.1m down to the ground. For me a 60hp would be tops.

Cheers PM

frankgrimes
21-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Yep agreed - I've got a Poly CC Drifter with 50 4 banger merc....if I had my time over, would go the 60....40 horses would really struggle.

Great boat btw.

Mick

TimD
21-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Definately underpowered with a 40hp, go for a 50 if you can afford it, you will need to fit a permatrim to the motor too as the poly's are a bit slow getting out of the hole.

cheers tim :)

TimD
21-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Yeh 40hp will only just push it. 40hp suits the 4.1m down to the ground. For me a 60hp would be tops.

Cheers PM

A 60 would be good but the 4.5 open boat is only rated to 50hp ;)

cheers tim :D

Noha
21-10-2009, 02:48 PM
i have one of the early 4.55 cc poly and it is only rated to 50hp, i wish i could of put a 60 on it. i had a 40hp 2st on it first that would do 40kmh, now with a 50 4st it will just get to 50kmh. cheers

Pirate_Pete_Tas
21-10-2009, 04:29 PM
The open boats are rated to 50Hp but if you have a console with a wheel to drive you can get the hull re rated to 60HP by calling Polycraft.

You will find a heap of info at http://www.polyboatowners.com

marty+jojo
21-10-2009, 05:23 PM
A mate of mine has a 4.5 drifter with a 60hp Merc 4 banger on it, it would be way underpowered with a 40hp 4 stroke.
Marty.
P.S. It is a very nice rig.

Zooter
21-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Well look at all the Polyfreaks in here, haha :)

Mate a 40 will be fine for river/estuary , chuck a permatrim on it and it will be sweet!

With your gear and esky up front should give you good weight distribution.

I got a 50 4 banger on a 4.1 with a se300 foil, gets up with 4 X100kg men onboard,

unless ur going to challenge a dodgey bar or something i would want that extra HP!

As long as the price is right it sounds like a great set up :)

The-easyrider
21-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Dont want to start a sh%t fight about polly vers anything else but a mate of mines first polly boat split big time and pollycraft replaced the hull for him, Then the new hull split in the same spot . This time they have only agreed to weld it up.

frankgrimes
21-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Dont want to start a sh%t fight about polly vers anything else but a mate of mines first polly boat split big time and pollycraft replaced the hull for him, Then the new hull split in the same spot . This time they have only agreed to weld it up.

Interesting - Where abouts the hulls split?

trilogy
21-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Would like to see a pic of the split

The-easyrider
21-10-2009, 09:18 PM
They both split on the under side on the outside edge of the chine, I will see if he can flick me a pic of the splits. Both of these hulls were 6m jobs and used around Thursday Isl

fanplastico
21-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Good choice. I have a 455 poly centre console. Fantastic boat - but can be very wet in chop. I also reckon go the 50HP if poss.

In regard to hulls splitting, I did a lot of research before I bought my tub and didn't come across any first hand accounts or pictures of split or cracked hulls despite a lot of hearsay (from tin boat owners funnily enough). I have seen several alumimium hulls with cracks that have been welded up though.

Plastico

O-3
21-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I've got a 4.55 CC with Honda 50hp.

As mentioned the 50hp is minimum and I would recommend the 60 if possible.

The-easyrider
21-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Like I said I dont want to start a pissin compertition over polly or tin or the far superior glass boats ;) I am just telling it like it is two split hulls to my mates displeasure and time with out his boat while the first was shipped to and from TI and waiting for a repair on the 2nd hull.
PS. I have had one polly water tank split

Noha
22-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Like I said I dont want to start a pissin compertition over polly or tin or the far superior glass boats ;) I am just telling it like it is two split hulls to my mates displeasure and time with out his boat while the first was shipped to and from TI and waiting for a repair on the 2nd hull.

WTF has this got to do with the questions being ask.
start a new post .

Plastic_Magic
22-10-2009, 07:38 AM

I agree this has nothing to do with the above post. For first he ainst asking bout the 6m hull he after info on the 4.5. If you think every poly boat will do the same then they would have alot un happy people. Fortunately it is rare and most poly owners wouldnt have a problem.

Bak to the original post, Yeh a 50hp will be suitable with a hydrofoil of some kind. Just be care full with the types of hydrofoils. My mate all 130kg of australian shot puter snaped the flare of his motor that the hydrofoil mounts on to. This was a case of to big for the motor.

CheersPM

breakthelines
22-10-2009, 01:51 PM
What would I expect to pay for the set up that I mentioned.
I have a quote but am unsure on pricing as it is my first boat.

Blackened
22-10-2009, 02:42 PM

G'day

Ring around, price apples with apples and all items seperatly.... you may be surprised. What was the quote btw?

Dave

frankgrimes
22-10-2009, 03:12 PM

I bought mine new....ended up being cheaper getting things seperately(Hull+Motor)...bit painful, but you can save yourself some $$.

Ask for an itemised quote as well.

As mentioned above...ring around...also, stock that has been sitting in the yard for a while can be negotiated on quite hard ;)

Mick

edit - Give Barneys Marine a call in Harvey Bay...when I was ringing around, they were extremely competitive on price, would have purchased from them if they were a bit closer.