PDA

View Full Version : 18f Shark cat CC weight?

Flex
21-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi all,

Anyone give me a rough estimate on a weight of a Centre console 18f shark cat? would it be significantly over 2 tonnes?

Noelm
21-10-2009, 01:40 PM
no, have you got one??

Flex
21-10-2009, 02:17 PM
no, have you got one??

No not yet, Hence the question:) All depends on the weight. I did look at the 5m noosacat cc, but Im not to sure if the size is quite adequate for serious offshore remote trips I'd like to do. As I plan on towing it up to cooktown its a long way to tow a boat if its gunna weigh over 2.5t. If it is then I'll have to settle for the 5m noosacat

Noelm
21-10-2009, 03:22 PM
do you know where there is one for sale? they are pretty rare, there is one in the Trading post out west of Sydney, but it looks like it has been cut about inside, I would reckon the whole thing, trailer and all will be well under 2 tonne, might be able to find some old specs somewhere.

Flex
21-10-2009, 04:48 PM
do you know where there is one for sale? they are pretty rare, there is one in the Trading post out west of Sydney, but it looks like it has been cut about inside, I would reckon the whole thing, trailer and all will be well under 2 tonne, might be able to find some old specs somewhere.

Yeah, I saw that one for sale in Sydney. Not to sure about the quality of it, have you checked it out?.It would also need new outboards I'd imagine.
What I'm looking at is doing a conversion myself.As finding a genuine CC is neigh on impossible, and I'd be waiting a lifetime to find one.
A good friend of mine has done a conversion of an old haines that turned out ok. Plenty of 18footers out there. If I could find a quality bare hull without crappy outboards on it, I'd buy it
What sort of performance do you think a pair of 90's would give? or would a set of 70hp's be enough on a CC?

Crocodile
21-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Hello Flex,
have a look at the noosa cat website.
http://www.noosacat.com.au/1800.html
This says 790kg empty.
Add motors 2 times 180kg = 360 + trailer 750kg(???) + batteries, fuel, anchor chain, snapper leads, etc etc. who knows, guess at say 2400kg towing weight.
There is a F&B write-up of the 1850 Noosa and it says towing in 2120kg which seems very light to me.

Noelm
22-10-2009, 07:11 AM
90's are the ideal HP for a "fishing" Sharkcat, 115's for the ones who want a bit more speed, and then up to whatever you can afford to run for the speed demons! funnily enough I was only about 20K from the one in Sydney 2 weeks ago and was very tempted to have a look, but I was pushed for time and gave it a miss, there was also a really good one for sale down south, it had been professionally done, top to bottom with a brand new trailer and no motors, he sold it for 10 grand, which was quite a good price I reckon, I was only a couple of hours too late on that one. There is also one very close to me that has not been used for at least 8 years, but he won't sell it, tried a dozen times.

Scaredy Cat
24-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Hello Flex,
have a look at the noosa cat website.
http://www.noosacat.com.au/1800.html
This says 790kg empty.
Add motors 2 times 180kg = 360 + trailer 750kg(???) + batteries, fuel, anchor chain, snapper leads, etc etc. who knows, guess at say 2400kg towing weight.
There is a F&B write-up of the 1850 Noosa and it says towing in 2120kg which seems very light to me.

would seem close to me the current Kc 5.2 is about 2.3t fueled, older boat would have smaller tanks but hull weight would be up to even out.
No doubt you would be over 2t

oldboot
24-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I think the general rule is that, " a boat always weighs more than you think it should", so it does not pay to be optomistic.

cheers

twist
24-10-2009, 12:37 PM
My plate CC cat 5.2m with two 50 etecs on it weighs 1.4t fully fueled so I would have to say it would be early two's. Love to have a go in a glass cat of the same size to do the comparison.