PDA

View Full Version : Bertram 28 vs Bertram 25??

Midnight
18-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Gday,
I have a Bertram 25 Flybridge ,with a single 41 series Volvo diesel in it with a duo-prop leg, which I love. It is a fantastic boat that does everything I ask of it and provides a great and safe ride.

I have contemplated numerous times trading up to a Bertram 28,diesel of course.

My question is, is there a significant improvement in ride in the 28 compared with the 25. I know that they are 3 feet longer and a foot wider with some extra weight thrown in, so it should be better, but just wonder is it worth it?

So, I am after opinions from those that have ridden in or owned both.

Cheers,
Myles

siegfried
18-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Myles, I think as a day boat Id rather have a 25 I dont reckon the 28s are that much better as to justify the extra cost and whatever you do stay away from the ones with BMW diesels. I presume yoy are running the ad41 a-b or p motor in your 25 (200hp) Great set up with the duo prop drive. Itd wanna be a good 28 to get rid of your current rig, also underpowered 28s are dead set pigs.good luck mate

chooky
18-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Myles,
Used to own a 28 bertie with twin Steyr shaft driven. Mate had a 25 Bertie with 4cyl mercruisers and without flybridge. 28 was a better sea boat but at rest it was a pig of a thing crew used to get seasick.
Regards

Midnight
18-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks fellas,

Yeah I figured as much. Not a lot of extra boat for the extra cash. I would only look at one with the 240 horse Yanmars or one outa the USA with 4bta's or 41 Volvos or similar. I would build a trailer similar to the one I have for my 25 and still keep it on the hard stand.

What I am trying to weigh up is whether the ride/better sea boat/better overnighter type boat would make it worth it over my 25.

As I say, I love my 25 and the more I use it the more I like it. I never wanted a Flybridge one, just a sedan but I couldnt find a good one with a diesel in. I still plan to take my fibreglass flybridge off and build a stainless half tower for it to try and help with the rolling at rest. Lose a bit of weight from up top.

Yeah it is a 200hp AQAD41a, done 268hrs since rebuild, 190 of them since I have had it. I pulled the motor last year and rebuilt the drive shaft housing, top box on the leg, all new pumps, and rebuilt all hang on components( all to right the previous owners wrongs/lack of maint.) and she goes like a beauty.
Starts without hearing it crank, smooth all day. Cruise at 19kts ( a bit slow for the hull) flat chat at 25 or so. Since I have had it, it has used pretty well bang on 14L/Hr on block hours, that is, start to stop. So a full days trolling east of the Cape burns about 160-170L. So the economy is great I reckon.

Looks like I will stick with the old girl until I can afford a Black Watch 34!

Thanks again for your comments, much appreciated.

CHeers,
Myles

siegfried
18-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey big fulla, check out the 265 Albemarles for sale in seppo land lotta boat and trailerable, Ill have one in my driveway in3 weeks;D ;D ;D ;D8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) Theres one with 315Yanmar on TheHullTruth or albemarle boatowners forum ,...horn ay for 47000 but You could do what we did and make a ridiculous offer....and have it accepted...Alby 27s are also weapons

finga
19-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Hey big fulla, check out the 265 Albemarles for sale in seppo land lotta boat and trailerable, Ill have one in my driveway in3 weeks;D ;D ;D ;D8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) Theres one with 315Yanmar on TheHullTruth or albemarle boatowners forum ,...horn ay for 47000 but You could do what we did and make a ridiculous offer....and have it accepted...Alby 27s are also weapons
And the dollar is going up too.
Makes it easier to make a decision.

Midnight
19-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Gday,
Yeah I like the Albemarles, they look like a well set up machine.

I have been looking in the States for a boat for a little while, such a huge market with so many to choose from.

I am keen on this

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1989-BLACK-WATCH-30-EXPRESS-95193313

The only thing stopping me at the moment, is that my boat is just so damn cheap to run.

If I trade up, it turns a $200 shelf trolling day into a $400 one without taking into account the other costs. And that means I can realistically do twice as many days in my current rig, albeit in not as much comfort as in the 30 Blackwatch.

Mmmmmm decisions decisions.

Cheers,
Myles

sleepygreg
19-10-2009, 09:54 PM
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7780333

If you are looking for a 30' Blackwatch.....I can vouch for this boat. I have fished out of it, and I know the owner well. He is ANAL in the maintenance and upkeep of the boat. It DOES raise fish and has won tournaments....must be something about the Yanmars....goes like the clappers, but is very economical when trolling....usually uses about 200lt a day in a tournament. I know he has just spent $700 on batteries for it, plus relined the insulation in the engine bay. If I won some money I would be buying it in a flash.

Greg

finding_time
19-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Nice Greg

I love express style boats!

Ian

rat_catcher
20-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Hey big fulla, check out the 265 Albemarles for sale in seppo land lotta boat and trailerable...............
If you go down the Alby 265 path make sure you do your research on water ingestion with the engines, the spray rail fix and rolling on the drift or at anchor.

Very Deep V and not much beam!

Midnight
20-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Gday Greg,
Yep a beautiful boat for sure, and exactly what I want. I saw it on boatpoint too. If i had that cash I would have been over there already!

The new Yanmars are very good on the fuel. Running out of Shorncliffe, I am up around the 160-170 litre mark for a 12 hour day with my single Volvo.

I have been looking in the States as you can get something similar, not as flash as that, but still close and get it here for close to 100k.

If I win the lotto first Greg, you are welcome to come fishing with me in Reel Magic hahaha

Cheers,
Myles

sleepygreg
20-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Myles...its owned by one of our club members....if you come to the meeting on the 9th November for the Rapala, Williamson Lures, Pakula presentation maybe you can talk to him about it.

Greg

Midnight
21-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks Greg,
I look forward to meeting your self and all the crew on the night.

Cheers,
Myles