PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Want In A New Thread On Barra?

BR65
16-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Plenty going on at the moment, so Im curious as to what the viewers and occasional visitors on this site want in a barra thread.

Is it premium info on cutting edge and forward thinking techniques, with the cost of there is no room in the thread for anything else?

Is it general info on barra fishing, with banter?

Is it just banter, with no relevant cutting edge barra techniques?

Is it open discussion on barra fishing, with all ideas and view points taken on board?

Does your choice of thread type define what sort of barra angler you are?

All good, Im just asking, please feel free to respond.

Cammy
16-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Why dont you do a couple of threads for barra?

e.g

Techniques
Rigs

Etc.

Imo everyone is crazy about barra, just divide ths threads up in some specific order so people dont have to look through billions of barra threads full of the same stuff. A While back there was about 3 barra threads per week with just the same stuff.

Ofcourse it would be slightly difficult to do so, i think it will improve search results and will help new members out. When you go in to a thread you will know your gonna get alot of different opinions from everybody that will therefore help the user out by not searching in other threads.

Some threads are just pages and pages of babbling on about nothing! Seriously.

Regs,
Cam

NAGG
16-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I'll tell you what I dont ever want to see here Brian

Some newbie asking a question like

"What lure to use for barra" - Sept 20th 2009 .

His first reply to his question came on October 14th 2009.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Now this was not at some new general chit chat site ....... either.

I'm not sure if it was a case of those members seeing it beneath them to answer such a basic question.
or
Members feeling too scared or intimidated to answer such a straight forward question ..... just in case they suggested something that was not in-line with the views of the senior members at that site.

Whatever the reason was ...... lets avoid treating anyone like that:thumbsdown:

Cheers

Chris

Lovey80
16-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I'd like to see an in-depth discussion on the possibilities of puting grown dam Barra into salt water wild waters so they can breed. Setting up programs for this to happen and education for Barra Anglers to keep fish in prime condition for them to survive the process.

Cheers

Chris

2manylures
16-10-2009, 09:28 PM
You aren't bored are you Brian? 8-)

Something I've often thought about yet don't have the time to "stay tuned" is a freshwater thread covering various species angling comparisons.

Barra anglers may pick up something from the cod, yellowbelly, silver perch anglers & visa versa. It may only be something as simple as a particular lure or lure style, leaders/leader material, all about snags, reading water in rivers as opposed to impoundments etc.

Many variations occur when chasing "native" species in different waters although there are various similarities that may seem insignificant or go un-noticed until bought to the attention.

There are probably many {all rounders} that fish all species that don't want to embarrass themselves by publically mentioning that certain lures etc catch many & various species that don't normally get mentioned amongst the hard core species specific anglers.

Just a couple of bobs worth of idle thought

Dick Pasfield
16-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I'll tell you what I dont ever want to see here Brian

Some newbie asking a question like

"What lure to use for barra" - Sept 20th 2009 .

His first reply to his question came on October 14th 2009.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Now this was not at some new general chit chat site ....... either.

I'm not sure if it was a case of those members seeing it beneath them to answer such a basic question.
or
Members feeling too scared or intimidated to answer such a straight forward question ..... just in case they suggested something that was not in-line with the views of the senior members at that site.

Whatever the reason was ...... lets avoid treating anyone like that:thumbsdown:

Cheers

Chris

Fair call Nagg, you're right, to Sweetwater's defense as it's format is post rather than thread orientated and with the limited capacity of only ten spaces something can drop off the front page in less than a a day, especially with a couple of welcomes and a couple more press releases. I've seen it happen a few times where a thread has disappeared when there was more to offer. I only saw that one you refer to after you posted on the 14th. I'd suggest your assumptions as to why are well off beam though.

As to what I'd like and that is banter kept primarily to banter inspired posts where banter is the intended focus, or as an NT site has, a chatbox to ensure the amount of banter or non critical chat is reduced to a minimum. Nothing worse than sorting through pages of posts looking for the good information squeezed in between one liners that we're all guilty of putting up from time to time.

A WA forum has the following on its front page that seems to work most of the time. - Please remember that this is a discussion forum and NOT a general chat site so please read the rules of forum use and abide by them. Thank you.

Dick Pasfield
16-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Doh! double post ::)

2manylures
16-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Fair call Nagg, you're right, to Sweetwater's defense as it's format is post rather than thread orientated and with the limited capacity of only ten spaces something can drop off the front page in less than a a day, especially with a couple of welcomes and a couple more press releases. I've seen it happen a few times where a thread has disappeared when there was more to offer. I only saw that one you refer to after you posted on the 14th. I'd suggest your assumptions as to why are well off beam though.

Dick,

As this is an "ideas thread with feel free to add" why didn't you just come straight out and say you'd like to see a stick up for my mates thread?

The thread you so elequently mention is still 6th from the top of the list in general discussions and has remained steady for some time.

No defense required, I see NAGG as "on beam" with his assumptions8-)

My apologies for bantering;D

PaulMark
16-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Maybe there could be a separate thread ie "Barra chat-Social" where the very amusing leg pulling,tongue in cheek stuff could be,some may call it inane dribble :-X:Pbut really its allowing friendships to flourish between people miles apart.Or is that facetwitter:-/ or whatever?
Paulo8-)

Cammy
16-10-2009, 11:08 PM

As to what I'd like and that is banter kept primarily to banter inspired posts where banter is the intended focus, or as an NT site has, a chatbox to ensure the amount of banter or non critical chat is reduced to a minimum. Nothing worse than sorting through pages of posts looking for the good information squeezed in between one liners that we're all guilty of putting up from time to time.

A WA forum has the following on its front page that seems to work most of the time. - Please remember that this is a discussion forum and NOT a general chat site so please read the rules of forum use and abide by them. Thank you.

Exacly, i dont even look at any barra stuff posted by anyone anymore. All i expect is the question.......... The "answer" would be somone talking to someone else about how their trip was somewhere. Pages and pages of dribble in barra threads, no wonder certain people dont hop on here anymore, they come for info not Dribble.

Regs,
Cam

Dick Pasfield
16-10-2009, 11:12 PM
My apologies for banteringhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Accepted in the 'more than generous' manner it was given TML ;) :)

Yes you can go go through layer by layer to find things like that but if you just give the front page a quick scan you can loose things, as indicated I've missed stuff like that before on the site. This site has an easier 'quick to read' format because it lists threads on its front freshwater page and they stay there for much longer.

NAGG
17-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Maybe there could be a separate thread ie "Barra chat-Social" where the very amusing leg pulling,tongue in cheek stuff could be,some may call it inane dribble :-X:Pbut really its allowing friendships to flourish between people miles apart.Or is that facetwitter:-/ or whatever?
Paulo8-)

We actually have that type thread here in Freshwater chat ....... BEN-HUR ( Mondy Muster thread) ....... As most have come to know - Just light hearted Banter with a focus toward a social gathering. :)

Chris

PS .... The problem with any open forum - opinions will be offered & from here it can go anywhere.
Even offering a simple tip ....... the responses can vary from a thanks to more questions or even debate - I dont know how you can temper these responses.
Just take a look at the barra & bass diaries :-/

Chris

NAGG
17-10-2009, 07:03 AM

Hi Dick

By the way - first up ...... my comment wasn't made to throw fuel onto that other non sense :'(
When I saw that question go unanswered , I felt a little embarrassed as well - but as I typed a response, I actually thought to my self "what flack am I going to cop over this":-/ - No one should ever feel that way! ( hence it came straight to mind when Brian put up this thread)

As for the thread being missed ....... its been on the front page of general discussion for a quite few days now......... & the poor guy is still probably none the wiser....... Other newer threads in the same area have seen 3,4,5X the response in the past week.

Anyhow ...... I hope you can see where I'm coming from

Cheers

Chris

Dick Pasfield
17-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Yes point taken Nagg, I generally don't drill down that far all that often, once off the front page I tend to miss it, just a bit impatient I guess, too many mouse clicks.

I wouldn't have thought your response would have warranted any feelings of trepidation, relevant and pretty standard I'd say. Though to be fair you did get a bit of a roast a day or so earlier so some sensitivity would be understandable.

As a response to BR's question and to get this back where it should be, we know what you don't want, what about what you'd like to see?

Barraholic
17-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Righto here's my two cents worth - maybe for discussion around the gas light ( :P ) at Awoonga tonight. There are two things I'd like to see more threads on:

1. Show and tell/discussion on observations on barra behaviour with the goal of trying to understand why they are doing what has been observed. eg. In winter noting barra with their backs out of the water in the middle of a bay right before dusk - why are they doing it? (either from a biological or psychological process) - what are the drivers for them doing this - one of many many examples that could be explored further through shared experiences with a goal to help all understand their quarry better and find ones that are willing to accept our offerings.

2. How water behaves and changes due to weather and seasonal influences - currents, quality, clarity - how barra adapt to each of these.

I raise these two points as we have lots of threads on lure modification, triggering techniques, striking and body position concepts etc. (which I think is excellent by the way and key points get added to my little infobase to build on my learning) - but lets also try and understand better how barra tick (as per JM's guidance from either his vids or informative threads) - an analogy we've tricked up the cart, we learnt how to tie it up to the horse, we've learnt how to drive the cart once its hooked up - now where's that bloody horse! are we in the right paddock, which paddock is the horse hiding in, how do we find a horse wants to be hooked up to the cart.

My thoughts anyway - see you Awoonga boys in a few hours ! :D

Kev

Peter4
17-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Good thread Brian,

I love all the barra chit chat and light hearted banter as it is generally quite amusing, even if it does go on a bit. I also love to see pics of barra captures and read barra reports, especially informative and well-written ones like Matt Fraser's Mondy trip this week.

Threads about lure modification, fishing techniques, observations about the environment and barra behaviour are equally enjoyed.

What pisses me off are personal attacks, secret agendas, clicky little groups and political undertones - generally because I don't understand the who, where and why behind them.

Kyle and I have only been barra fishing for a few short years and we love it. We also enjoy this forum and the many people we have met through it. It has been directly responsible for many of our barra successes....

Let's just stay focussed on the main game - catching barra and helping others by sharing information!

Regs

Pete

Whitto
17-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Good thread Brian,

I love all the barra chit chat and light hearted banter as it is generally quite amusing, even if it does go on a bit. I also love to see pics of baara captures and read barra reports, especially informative and well-written ones like Matt Fraser's Mondy trip this week.

Threads about lure modification, fishing tecniques, observations about the environment and barra behaviour are equally enjoyed.

What pisses me off are personal attacks, secret agendas, clicky little groups and political undertones - generally because I don't understand the who, where and why behind them.

Kyle and I have only been barra fishing for a few short years and we love it. We also enjoy this forum and the many people we have met through it. It has been directly responsible for many of our barra successes....

Let's just stay focussed on the main game - catching barra and helping others by sharing information!

Regs

PeteGood reply Pete agree totally......Generally by the time I look at other people's posts, there is always something in those posts that I agree with and usually don't reply because to me it's repeating what has already been said.....I do like your thinking, Good stuff.....Whitto;)

Steve B
17-10-2009, 10:21 AM
[q

Regs

Pete[/quote]

Thats what I want too Pete....It has become obvious now from a few replies, that the visitors and readers dont want to sift through the chit chat between the big group of mates on here to find the good info, and thats a fair enough call.

So possibly limit the chit chat that we all do to a couple of threads, and leave the info threads and the report threads to just that...info. I like when the report threads turn into info sharing too.

Mavbey we could take notice when a things start getting of track and becoming chit chat, and move it to another post, ie ben hur, and avoid the chit chat in the informative threads. that will help the people who want to find info which is really the main purpose of this section. I also agree with 2manylures, we should and do) encourage the posts from cod, bass and all freshies more...as a LOT of tips and techniques will be surprisingly similar and beneficial to the barra scene. I love the reports from other species., bring them on...and the info with it. you will only get a positive response I reckon.

What NAGG said about the bloke getting a reply asking about lures...I too thought it was strange there was no reply, I felt bad not doing it myself too, but I dont usually post on SW.I dont want to see that here or at SW either..both are top sites chockers with great info.

I think that these are important questions for a 'starter' to post....I bet everyone was nervous as buggery the first time they pressed the 'submit new thread' button..(i still do;))...but its really important to answer the question with as honest and genuine reply...then they feel welcome and will begin to learn more, interact more...and they may have a wealth to share about all species and stuff...but if no one answers, they go away..and lost!! Gone could be one of the best anglers out there because no one thought it was worth giving them some basic info...What I am trying to say, I dont want any of us to think we are better than the day we first posted and became involved. I want the info to keep rolling as weird or basic or technical as you want....bring it all on and let the individual decide what they chose to use, beleive or do.

My soapbox has now collapsed;D

Steve

NAGG
17-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Back some time ago ...... I put up a thread called "Barra Masterclass" with the idea of this type of thing - From memory it got a bit of a run & then we moved on - Maybe this is something that we could resurrect & have as a sticky ( start again though).

Straight up .... we have the members here that ensures a strong foundation & good flow of knowledge or experiences. If differences are kept in check (IMHO :) ) people will share and we will all benefit.

To answer Dicks question :)

I just want to see members post their trip reports ( specific information can always be discussed - questions asked)

And a barra discussion thread ...... Its easy enough to add a sub heading in the title. .... Like

BARRA MASTERCLASS ( slick rigs)
BARRA MASTERCLASS ( water flow)
BARRA MASTERCLASS ( Fishing sunken creek beds)

Its easy enough to do & will make it easy to follow each subject

Good brain storming

Cheers

Chris

mylestom
17-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Just a possiblity, if someone (That does not mean me) could just cut and paste some of the responses that are pertinent to special threads, then a start could be achieved and then added to.

Only a thought, seems to be lot of info available, but like what has been said, it is currently a bit spread out numerous threads. The newbies and others just what to be able to get to the guts of the matter a bit easier.

Regards

Trev

BR65
17-10-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php/topic,4883.0.html#

Thar she blows.

For those who dont know, Im "out-wide" over there, :vrolijk_26: hang over from my off shore snapper bashin days.

BR65
17-10-2009, 07:21 PM
[quote=2manylures;1085225]You aren't bored are you Brian? 8-)
quote]

:2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08:

BR65
17-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Bored 2ML, nah, not me mate lol.

Intereseting, isnt it?
Personally I enjoy the reports, warts and all, Matt Frasers at the moment is a perfect example, a tuff trip, but a great post.

Heres a thought, open up your user profile, and go back and check your very first posts, and re-acquaint your self with why you love barra fishing so much.
Is it the fishing, the camping, the chase, the capture, the near miss, the big fish?
Look at what you knew then, wide eyed and innocent, look at what you know now, thank those who provided the head start so freely, and help others as you were helped.
Most of all, remember, ITS ONLY FISHING!

darylive
17-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Plenty going on at the moment, so Im curious as to what the viewers and occasional visitors on this site want in a barra thread.

Is it general info on barra fishing, with banter

Is it open discussion on barra fishing, with all ideas and view points taken on board? Political or personal opinions excepted

[q

Regs

Pete

Thats what I want too Pete....It has become obvious now from a few replies, that the visitors and readers dont want to sift through the chit chat between the big group of mates on here to find the good info, and thats a fair enough call.

...What I am trying to say, I dont want any of us to think we are better than the day we first posted and became involved. I want the info to keep rolling as weird or basic or technical as you want....bring it all on and let the individual decide what they chose to use, beleive or do.

My soapbox has now collapsed;D

Steve

Bored 2ML, nah, not me mate lol.

Intereseting, isnt it?
Personally I enjoy the reports, warts and all, Matt Frasers at the moment is a perfect example, a tuff trip, but a great post.

Heres a thought,
Look at what you knew then, wide eyed and innocent, look at what you know now, thank those who provided the head start so freely, and help others as you were helped.
Most of all, remember, ITS ONLY FISHING!

Nothing to add here ;)

Interesting and informative information designed and intended to share learning, experiences, or theories with a view to enhancing the experience of Barra fishing or dreaming; with no political or personal agenda.

8-)

Well done Bro who would have thought ?
A thread about nothing but what to put in a thread.
Amazing!

Big_Ren
17-10-2009, 11:28 PM
The beauty of barra fishing is many-fold.

Essentially it is:

Escapism - from work, life stresses, everyday goings on.

Optimism - challenging oneself to hopefully a) catch a barra and b) catch a bigger barra than you have before; and finally

Aussie mateship - where else can you get good fellas and gals - all buddies - to share ideas and experiences collectively around a camp fire without pressure to perform, but yet with passion as hot as the fire we encircle.

Competitive/ambitious - maybe at times. Kindred - most definitely.

BR65
18-10-2009, 07:15 AM
Nothing to add here ;)

Interesting and informative information designed and intended to share learning, experiences, or theories with a view to enhancing the experience of Barra fishing or dreaming; with no political or personal agenda.

8-)

Well done Bro who would have thought ?
A thread about nothing but what to put in a thread.
Amazing!

A Seinfeld post almost D???

NAGG
18-10-2009, 07:46 AM

:-/ A thread about nothing

Hey brother ....... This is as good a thread that has been put up. You would think that everyone that reads it would take a step back & rethink what they are on here for :)
I guess like life , You can fall off the rails or things can get twisted ......... Maybe this is the "realignment" that we needed

Good stuff

Chris

NAGG
18-10-2009, 08:21 AM
[quote=2manylures;1085225]You aren't bored are you Brian? 8-)
quote]

:2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08: :2vrolijk_08:

Just ask him how many hours it was since his last barra session :'(

Barraboss
18-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey guys,

I think this thread in a way is long overdue. I used to frequent this site quite a lot, to the point where it was almost obsessive. The reason for this was I was wanting to learn of others as the information one could gain on here was almost priceless, and also give my "two bobs" worth of limited experience to help others (possibly).

Since then however, the information is harder to find throughout the threads which start of with great intentions, but get lost in transit thoughout the posts.

Maybe in the freshwater section, the threads/posts should be about the topic intended and keep banter and stories about weekend footy etc etc to the freshwater reports, where people from my experience go to read about the day to day happenings of barra fishing and general bits and pieces of other related topiccs. I for one do like the banter/joking/funny stories that come through as it does make me genuinely laugh at times. But that is when it is in its right place.

The answer is not simple, but in a way I think the mods could help a little to improve the way in which the site leads in to the future, maybe as bit more of a guidance to seperate what has been and could be improved on for a great piece of information building regarding the barra scene

Then, the site might retain the old and capture the new Ausfish members and have a higher input level beneficial to all.

I like the idea Cammy had with breaking the areas up, but to improve on how that is done, I am really unsure. Once it is broken down it would be something like:

Lures-
HB
Soft plastics
Topwater
Jigging
Modifications etc etc

The list is endless, and that is just for lures. It could get quite large, but maybe easier for users in the long run to find information about intended equipment/tools?

This is only my opinion, and IN NO WAY intended to upset anyone, only to hopefully help an existing site improve even more in the future.

Cheers
Matt

darylive
18-10-2009, 11:38 AM

Xactly what I was thinking and like the TV series a success.

:shadow:

Tropicaltrout
18-10-2009, 02:39 PM
yeah I don't know much apart from Barra talk is one thing I can slip into on the net and switch off with until I get the chance to get away and fish for them.....

The banter in threads is good and normally fairly free from spite but then you get a few that either have a bee in thier bonnet or simply don't like whats said so they too have to get ancy.... easy solution get up to the dam all in one go and chat face to face and leave it off the net cause I tell ya its a bore.

A shite stir is good and whats makes us all mates.... opinions keep us idiot barra junkies normal

I like to see one thread devoted to the best info of all the current posts put together, then made sticky or wack it in the barra diary thread.