PDA

View Full Version : 15hp Suzuki or Mercury - Which is better?

scottishguy
15-10-2009, 10:19 AM
I am trying to choose between the 15hp Suzuki and the 15hp Mercury both 2stroke and both are roughly the same price.

The Suzuki has bigger displacement value, however the Mercury has a 3+2 warranty as opposed to the Suzuki's standard 3 year.

I have local dealers for both.

My prioities in order are;
Reliability
Performance
Ongoing costs

Any thoughts?

STUIE63
15-10-2009, 10:22 AM
the one with the best dealer in your area
Stuie

Noelm
15-10-2009, 11:54 AM
the Merc looks nice.

joey_1987
15-10-2009, 12:12 PM
is it the merc 15 or 15 super you're looking at? what sort of load will you be carrying/what hull? do you have a good merc dealer/service agent in your area (need this for maintenance of 5 yr warranty) if you're comparing the merc 15hp USA model, it will be less powerful than the suzuki (loop charged powerhead on the zuke, crossflow on the merc) use a bit more fuel, but run smoother, quieter, and it's got that fancy f-n-r all at the end of the tiller. the 15hp super is a japanese made motor (by tohatsu, basically everything-proof motor) which is loop charged, so not as smooth as the USA merc, has 10cc more displacement than the suzuki, is also a de-rated 18hp, so better for heavier loads, but it's a bit heavier than the merc USA 15hp. basically it comes down to what you're going to use it for and also the availability of good service agents/dealers in your area, none of these motors are bad :) good luck.
cheers.

Jarrah Jack
15-10-2009, 01:09 PM
The harder and and how much you use the motor the more attractive that warrenty will be. Especially if the dealers are comparable.

Blackened
15-10-2009, 06:26 PM
G'day

Go the merc... if it's the USA model. It should be around the $2300 mark? The one handed tiller setup is simply sensational.

Dave

scottishguy
15-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks all for the feedback...i've gone with the Suzuki, simply because I got it for under $2k so I'm pleased with the deal I got.