PDA

View Full Version : New Safety Alert via Mobile Phone 24/7 world wide

ThePinkPanther
15-10-2009, 09:27 AM
If you are fortunate enough to have an Apple iPhone 3G or 3GS mobile, a new piece of technology is now available called I-Am-Safe (Australian made!!) :)

It permits you to nominate five (5) contacts who are reliable insofar as having their mobiles ON and usually with them (not your wife!!!) plus email addresses and preferably an internet connection. ;)

OK, you list the five chosen mobile numbers, five email addresses and that is all.

Now, if you are in deep trouble and want IMMEDIATE help, you simply punch the button on the iPhone and after two fail-safe time periods of a few seconds elapse, a specifically worded SMS text will be sent immediately to all the mobile phones and all the email addies. :D

It very clearly describes that you need help - NOW!! ;D

The system works world worldwide and 24/7. So if you are in the back of Katmandu under attack from terrorists, you can still call ALL the contacts! :D

Several things occur when you hit the panic button. :-/

As above, all the contacts get simultaneously called on their mobiles via an SMS text message and email backup. :)

Then, the contacts get a webpage to go to and that throws up a world map and via GPS shows your EXACT position! I mean this is fantastic this bit! :D

Additionally, the iPhone automatically opens the sound recorder and starts recording all the noises about you. So, if you are in the jaws of a white pointer, rescue parties will hit lots of screaming, crying, watery and chewy noise in the background etc. :( :( :(

This is everything all rolled into one package and the entire application costs $3.99 plus you can buy recharges for chicken feed. e.g. five (5) costs $10.00 so you can call for help five times before you run out! ::)

So do you chuck yer crappy old Blackberry, Nokia phones in the bin and move over to Apple? Of course you do as this is a Boaties dreams all come true in terms of tremendous safety issues. The range of mobiles these days around Australia is about 99% so the odds are pretty good tthat at least ONE of your contacts will get the message. :D

The application allows you to send out a test email to make sure everybody understands what it is all about. :)

It certainly doesn't replace the marine radio or EPIRB though this latter unit is almost replaced due the GPS in the Apple iPhone whilst remembering that you have to rely on five contacts (one of whom has to be around!) in lieu of the Maritime Safety gang on the EPIRB. ;D ;D

Don't leave home without it!

Apple iPhones have come down a huge amount and can be bought for around $299 plus cheap monthly or prepaid plans. If you bucked at buying the new 406 EPIRB for around $500, maybe this is a cheaper alternative?

Have a look at:

http://www.iamsafe-mobile.com/

As this is a serious SAFETY issue. maybe our Webby might consider making it "sticky" for a while?

foxx510
15-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for sharing. If I'm honest though, with the patchiness of 3g and GSM reception, especially where you would need it in an emergency, for boaties I can't see this as anything close to having an EPIRB.

Noelm
15-10-2009, 10:14 AM
not too sure how good an Iphone is after 10mins in the Ocean though.

ThePinkPanther
15-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Both good points though anybody who takes a mobile to sea without a waterproof bag - even a zippy will do - is "nuts". I know, I cried tears of blood watching my old Blackberry disappear into the depths!!

Probably right re range of 3G but as I regularly travel the length of Qld and outback, I have yet to see it fail or drop out, but admittadly it is a possibility.

Couldn't agree more re the EPIRB but if what the retailers say is true, the sales of 406 EPIRBS are way, way down on the old 121.5 units.

The guys at Northside Marine and Leisure Marine both reckon they sell only a "couple" 406's each month compared to the previous 121's.

Didn't intend to make it sound like a replacement for the radio or EPIRB but it is a top application as a standby .................. and ya gotta have an Apple anyway!!!

Mister
15-10-2009, 04:28 PM
If you bucked at buying the new 406 EPIRB for around $500, maybe this is a cheaper alternative?

As this is a serious SAFETY issue. maybe our Webby might consider making it "sticky" for a while?

You have to be kidding man :-X since when is anything an alternative for an Epirb?

This is not a serious piece of safety kit, this is a silly comment, since when is a serious piece of safety require a subscription.

Fancy suggesting using this as a cheaper alternative to an Epirb :o

Make it sticky! This needs to be dropped do the bottom of the last page and then buried some more.

CharlieH
15-10-2009, 04:45 PM
since when is a serious piece of safety require a subscription.

Is a Sat phone a serious piece of safety equipment? :D

I agree with you though. Might be OK for populated areas but no good out on the water or a lot of remote Australia.

Zooter
15-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Have to agree it wouldn't replace an Epirb at all , But for land it is a great idea!

By the time my kids are grown up and getting around i will be making sure they have something like this for safety, Too many looney tunes out there these days !!

Thanx for the heads up mate :)

ThePinkPanther
15-10-2009, 09:03 PM
"It certainly doesn't replace the marine radio or EPIRB though this latter unit is almost replaced due the GPS in the Apple iPhone whilst remembering that you have to rely on five contacts (one of whom has to be around!) in lieu of the Matitime Safety gang on the EPIRB."

"Didn't intend to make it sound like a replacement for the radio or EPIRB but it is a top application as a standby .................. And ya gotta have an Apple anyway!!!"

............. and what part of the above post are some of you guys having trouble in understanding??

The old RTFQ before making dumb comments might be in order perhaps?

If carrying a tin can on a string enhanced my boating safety on the water by 1% then I would get it!

Mister
15-10-2009, 11:24 PM
It's no more than a novelty and fancy claiming and epirb is almost replaced due to GPS in a phone. The word "alternative" and "standby" are worlds apart.

Thought you had more nounce than this Mr panther? The above post is Trouble and that's with a capital T too. This is simply bad stuff!

Mister
15-10-2009, 11:27 PM
After reading this post again is there a moderator report button somewhere? Where can I report this to a moderator to remove!

sleepygreg
16-10-2009, 12:08 AM
its the red dot with the ! in it just below your avatar.

ThePinkPanther
16-10-2009, 05:07 AM
Yeh guys, I think I have to agree that it was a pretty crappy post now that I have had a reread of it!

I really stuffed it by inferring that it was a super replacement for EPIRB's and radios and although I clearly said this in the posts (2) it was a poorly worded effort nonetheless and for that I hangs my head in shame!

As always, there were those who could read through the truly dreadful wording and see it could be of value on the day but that is no excuse! You put up a crap post you take the flack!

Then of course you have guys like "Mister" who is out squeaking around for a Moderator, dear oh dear oh dear! Mate, the guys who canned me, quite correctly, at least had the courage to do it openly and came up with reasons for such, they didn't go bleating off to a Moderator to do the dirty work for them!

Sorry guys, I am available for public lashings most weekends! :-[ :-[ :-[

trymyluck
16-10-2009, 05:48 AM
Yeh guys, I think I have to agree that it was a pretty crappy post now that I have had a reread of it!

I really stuffed it by inferring that it was a super replacement for EPIRB's and radios and although I clearly said this in the posts (2) it was a poorly worded effort nonetheless and for that I hangs my head in shame!

As always, there were those who could read through the truly dreadful wording and see it could be of value on the day but that is no excuse! You put up a crap post you take the flack!

Then of course you have guys like "Mister" who is out squeaking around for a Moderator, dear oh dear oh dear! Mate, the guys who canned me, quite correctly, at least had the courage to do it openly and came up with reasons for such, they didn't go bleating off to a Moderator to do the dirty work for them!

Sorry guys, I am available for public lashings most weekends! :-[ :-[ :-[

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, Yes should never be considered as anything like an alternative to Epirb but how many 4wd have epirbs. Not too many and how many bushwalkers carry epirbs, not enough. I bet the lad that died down Sydney way would have liked this accessory when he was dehydrating.
It may just save a few lives yet and if only saves 1 then it will be a useful bit of safety kit. Maybe worthwhile posting this in the camping and 4wd boards.
Mark

ThePinkPanther
16-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Thanks TryMyLuck,

I can come out from cringing in the cupboard all night!!

As an aside, too many people believe the EPIRB (of which I have a 406) guarantees instantaneous response. Wrong! Depending on many factors, it can take up to an hour or more to be located!

IN NO WAY ATTEMPTING TO SUGGEST THE IPHONE APPLICATION IS BETTER (PLEASE REREAD THIS SEVERAL TIMES!!!), it has the one advantage of IMMEDIATELY alerting up to five (5) reliable persons on his/her mobile who will hopefully hit the help button and a response can be got underway in as little as a few minutes from VMR/AVCG or Water Police etc.

So when something long and grey is circling around you and looking for a meal, I for one would like to know that a human being had been contacted within a few seconds and was already onto the rescue authorities with an exact GPS position of where I am ....... and yeh, yeh, the EPIRB will also be ON as a PRIORITY.

Both units - EPIRB and mobile - possess the inherant weakness of having to be instantly available to the victim. An upturned boat can make both of them unavailable! I carry my mobile on me at all times in a waterproof zipper bag - don't leave the boat without it!

What cheeses me off is that my wretched iPhone GPS is equal to or better than my super dooper Raymarine A65 chart plotter! When the former is linked to a purchaseable Navionics marine chart application, it is within a metre or so of where I am and where the Raymarine also says!

So in summary, ever keen to redeem my shattered reputation, I have a standby safety unit NOT A SUBSTITUTE (Please REREAD SEVERAL TIMES!!) that has well over A 95% chance of getting immediate response to me up and running within a few minutes.

Me? I think that is a good idea! And if a marble in a tin can is any good, them gimme that as well!

The following article is direct from a manufacturer and is 100% correct. Make note of the "... and not be in the same day" comment!!

What happens when the EPIRB is activated?

Do not expect an instant response. There will be a delay of some hours before help can arrive and it may not be the same day. The delay may be longer in bad weather.

The EPIRB tells the satellite and the satellite tells the tracking station and it tells AusSAR. However it may take 2 hours for a satellite to pass overhead and pick up your signal. The signal is only located within 20km, although with each additional pass of the satellite a grid is established that locates the position more accurately.

AusSAR tells the Police and they tell the NPWS. A land and air search is planned and coordinated. An air search can pinpoint the location of the EPIRB more accurately.

Mister
16-10-2009, 06:23 AM
I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, Yes should never be considered as anything like an alternative to Epirb but how many 4wd have epirbs. Not too many and how many bushwalkers carry epirbs, not enough. I bet the lad that died down Sydney way would have liked this accessory when he was dehydrating.
It may just save a few lives yet and if only saves 1 then it will be a useful bit of safety kit. Maybe worthwhile posting this in the camping and 4wd boards.
Mark

Didn't that lad die with his mobile phone beside him because phone reception was dead ? Save 1 ? How many will first with putting their life in the hands of a mobile phone first?

Who would be that stupid to put their life in the hands of a telco. Simply can not believe some of the comments made above.

nuff said on this

Mister
16-10-2009, 06:27 AM
its the red dot with the ! in it just below your avatar.

Thanks, done, now lets see if there is some responsibility here?

Noelm
16-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Jesus some people here get all touchy and emotional about some things, nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone (I do it all the time) nothing wrong with getting disagreed with (I also get that a lot) but to grizzle and whine and report someone for something that is really not all that bad is a bit over the top I reckon, by all means disagree and voice your opinion, but don't get too excited about it all.

ozscott
16-10-2009, 08:00 AM
I agree with Noelm - I think PP's post could have been worded better but:

1. He is a long time member on this site and has made plenty of positive contribution;

2. He has fallen on his sword about his post;

3. He was obviously excited about what seems, provided you have coverage and the service works as it says on the box, to be a very good service and was passing the info on FOR THE BENEFIT OF MEMBERS....

Getting all pissy is not the answer and we can assume surely that a person reading his fist post will read his replies shortly thereafter....or he could be asked to modify it, rather than racing off to the mods...

Cheers

timddo
16-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Get this
The Iphone has navonics marine charts - covers the whole of Australia for $14.99. Now why bother buying those handheld gps thingys now.

Iphone for marine use + insurance = can't go wrong.

SatNav
16-10-2009, 09:00 AM
1. Is this for real?

2. Are some of the people here for real?

3. Some of the comments and claims are a joke

4. Here I was thinking even the other self proclaimed alert system was bad enough and it actually used satellites, then along comes this claim based on limited 3G technology.

5. If this is the future of safety then heaven help those that intend using it as a Safety-Of-Life service

6. This absolutely staggers me, what is the world coming to?

foxx510
16-10-2009, 09:19 AM
An iPhone would be useless for me anyway. Anything fancier than a $20 ebay mono screen Nokia breaks on me within days. I'm sure I'd break an iPhone inside of 1 hour....

ozscott
16-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Timddo - where do you get maps for these things at that price...I dont have an i-phone but thats pretty amazing tech

SatNav...I have my phone in my floating special bag (got from a marine place a while ago) but the thing nearest to me when fishing is my floating grab bag with flare and GPIRB etc....I dont suggest anyone for a moment consider an 'alternative' to an EPIRB or GPIRB but lets not get too feisty on this thread...

Cheers

SatNav
16-10-2009, 09:30 AM
1. No lets not get feisty, life and death is much more important than that

2. My recommendation on this? This post should get the flick.

3. Then maybe not? maybe people do need to be aware of so called safety alert systems that are not up to or any where near acceptable standards

4. This system is certainly not acceptable by any standards

SatNav
16-10-2009, 09:38 AM
"Thanks, done, now lets see if there is some responsibility here?"

1. No let it run, awareness of inadequate systems is more important.

Ausfish
16-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks Mister for reporting this post. As stated by PP in his first and subsequent posts "It certainly doesn't replace the marine radio or EPIRB"

Maybe you could have a good discussion about this rather than an argument. That way people will be informed about the subject and be able to make up their own minds when presented with the info.As I am sure they may hear about this from a friend over a beer and only get one side and have to make up their mind with little info.

FNQCairns
16-10-2009, 09:54 AM
I have only ever bought crappy base model phones as i have had no need for anything above their core use's although one bloke on my boat pulled out his phone one day and opened seabreeze! that was pretty cool.

Gotta say that with seabreeze and this safety function above just one other reaonable value added ability of value to me might see me change to one!

Whats the go with a recharge style of card in these things, out side of work it's been years since we have owned a mobile phone on a plan.

cheers fnq

ozscott
16-10-2009, 10:05 AM
1. No lets not get feisty, life and death is much more important than that

2. My recommendation on this? This post should get the flick.

3. Then maybe not? maybe people do need to be aware of so called safety alert systems that are not up to or any where near acceptable standards

4. This system is certainly not acceptable by any standards

No I agree that its certainly not acceptable by any standards as a replacement for an EPIRB and a Radio, nor the first thing to go for....BUT as long as it doesnt divert you when on a boat why not use it after those things have been deployed if you want to to alert family say. It is useful if not in a boat of carrying an EPIRB (I take mine 4wd ing but most dont).

As for the life and death comment - please, we are not children. I have assumed from your previous post that you have a close association with this stuff, but we are not imbeciles. You reaction is, with respect, an overreaction, particularly given that PP HAD explained himself and clarified before you got to posting....Oh I know lets bash PP, we can all join in and get on our high horse....Im heading straight for Raby Bay now to round up the folks and the pitchforks...we can do it southern style...yeeha!

Cheers

Mister
16-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah well thanks I get your message too. Good then discuss the following points then.

So do you chuck yer crappy old Blackberry, Nokia phones in the bin and move over to Apple? Of course you do as this is a Boaties dreams all come true in terms of tremendous safety issues.

Boaties Dreams, tremendous safety issues ???????????

It certainly doesn't replace the marine radio or EPIRB though this latter unit is almost replaced due the GPS in the Apple iPhone

So a GPS in an IPhone has almost replaced what? Meaning an Epirb ????

As this is a serious SAFETY issue. Maybe our Webby might consider making it "sticky" for a while?

A serious safety issue, I think not.

SatNav
16-10-2009, 10:34 AM
1. Ozscott, Make no mistake with what I am saying, I am not bashing PP or anybody else but I am definately bashing the message as the message deserves to be bashed hard, extremely hard

2. These types of devices and there are others in this same category might have a place but that place is at the bottom of the barrel with regard real safety-of-life systems, they are certainly not an alternative in lieu of.

Scott nthQld
16-10-2009, 10:57 AM
This whole thing is just a gimmick by apple to make money under the premise of safety, nothing more or less. Let me guess though, the people you have on your 'emergency list' also have to have an Iphone? if not, then how does the software (mapping etc) work on the other blokes phone? What if like many people, the persons to be contacted doesn't have a flash wizbang phone that cannot recieve emails, view maps of any kind etc?

The thought is appreciated PP, and it could be handy in some situations, but is certainly not something to be relied upon in lieu of any other standardised safety equipment.

Like I said, a gimmick by Apple to get us to surrender our paychecks in the name of safety, absolutely nothing to get excited about. Also, since when has safety been a subsciption service? and do these 'rescue' (and I use the term very, very loosely, like a 50c hooker) credits ever expire? Too bad if someone bought these credits, didn't use them for 3 months or longer and then when they finally have the occasion to actualy get any benefit, only to get a message to say "your credit has expired, please call 1800 scrw uova to purchse more via credit card"

trymyluck
16-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Didn't that lad die with his mobile phone beside him because phone reception was dead ? Save 1 ? How many will first with putting their life in the hands of a mobile phone first?

Who would be that stupid to put their life in the hands of a telco. Simply can not believe some of the comments made above.

nuff said on this

The lad died after trying to convince the 000 operator that

1. He was lost.

2. He was genuine.

3. He was in serious trouble with no water.

4. That he needed help.

5. Until his phone went flat.

As to who would be that stupid to put their life in the hands of a telco, I was only wondering the other day just how many lives had been saved by the use of mobile phones.

Mister
16-10-2009, 07:47 PM
As to who would be that stupid to put their life in the hands of a telco, I was only wondering the other day just how many lives had been saved by the use of mobile phones.

What we do know from last week-end the count is -2 to 0

PinHead
16-10-2009, 08:00 PM
1. No lets not get feisty, life and death is much more important than that..it isn't really..it happens every day..nothing to panic over..it happens to everyone at some time..as the great Jim Morrison said..No one gets out alive.

2. My recommendation on this? This post should get the flick. Nope..leave it go

3. Then maybe not? maybe people do need to be aware of so called safety alert systems that are not up to or any where near acceptable standards does that include EPIRBS? and the so called sat system that is running out of puff or whatever as you have allude3d to previously

4. This system is certainly not acceptable by any standards if it saves one life then it is worth it

PinHead
16-10-2009, 08:03 PM

nuff said on this

I cannot believe that comment...how many lives do you think that calls to 000 have saved..all run through telcos.

SatNav
17-10-2009, 01:41 PM
"it isn't really..it happens every day..nothing to panic over..it happens to everyone at some time..as the great Jim Morrison said..No one gets out alive."

1. Then some have a hankering to make it sooner than latter.

"Nope..leave it go"

2. Yes definately agree with that. Users need to be aware of what is a novelty and what is not

"does that include EPIRBS? And the so called sat system that is running out of puff or whatever as you have allude3d to previously"

3. Epirbs have very clear and very rigid standards. Epirbs also do not rely on GPS, not even GPS Epirbs. As for "GPS running out of puff" that's nothing more than "what if" and the dream world of the GAO.

4. On the subject of telco's? Well they don't and haven't had a good reputation of late have they? It's not the number they might save it's the number they have lost and in that business loosing just one (1) through incompetence is one too many.