PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Starter Problems

PeterInSA
13-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Have a Blue Band Mercury 85HP its had little use by me in the last 20 odd years that I have owned it. Last summer sometimes had problems starting the engine prior to me going out the next day. I would turn on the ignition and the motor would go clunk, turn off then on again a few times and the starter would kick in.

This year had problems with the solenoid on my Cruiser when out Gold prospecting 100Kms from the nearest small town in Northern WA so am now a bit more sensitive re starting problems even thou have a second motor on board.

I suspect that it’s the solenoid, the manual has no detail on pulling this item to pieces any comments appreciated.

Will do the resistance checks but the solenoid could well check out OK as this problem only occurs occasionally.

Having NOT read the manual in detail, when hard to start I have turned over the starter sometimes for more 15 sec and have not waited 2 mins before trying a restart. This may also be the reason for the starter not kicking in. Its not a battery problem have a charged 700cca unit on board.

Peter

Aunty Jack
13-10-2009, 08:55 PM
I was havining a simaler problem with mine 70 merc,after a lot of pulling apart [starter] I added an extra earth strap.seems to be working ok for the last 3months or so.

PeterInSA
14-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Swampman, was that earth from the starter or Solenoid to the motor frame or earth back to the battery.

Thanks
Peter