PDA

View Full Version : Electric Anchor Winch

ozassassin
13-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Finally made up my mind and got my electric anchor winch its a, HFF 600S Horizontal Windlass got it from muir marine at manly. set it up over the week end, I must say I never realized how easy it was to set one of these up, but now I have done one, I recommend anyone to give it ago.

After reading all the great recommendations from all the post off Ausfish, the things to do and not to do, i thank you all.

This all helped as I put my plan together, got all the recommended battery leads 14 meters (7 meters of each red and black), and connectors, shaping the aluminium reinforce backing plate, cutting holes and putting in extra support brackets for the anchor hatch.

Looked at the diagram planed my attack by marking everything out, got my wife and my 11 Year old daughter to help me with running all the cables, going around doing up all the cable ties connected everything up, tested it to make sure it was all going to work and hay presto, one Electric Anchor and one saved marriage, now we can both go fishing and not have to argue about who is going to pull up that back bracken anchor, now it'll be who's turn is it to push the button, I Love it when a plan comes together.

Chimo
13-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Oz A

Have you mounted the winch on the anchor well hatch?

Its hard t see but looks like you plated under the hatch and mounted the winch above the hatch. If this is the case are you not putting a lot of trust in the hinges and the catch?

I remember noting that when Seafarer mounted a winch above the hatch they appeared to then bolt the hatch down, so it was no longer a "hatch" and the cut a new hatch into the front bulkhead forward of the bunk.

If you load the winch up with a snagged anchor I wonder if you might find the winch, hatch and a section of wiring disappearing over the bow?

Hope I'm wrong and good luck with it anyhow.

Cheers
Chimo

TimiBoy
13-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Make sure you don't have too much rope in the well. The winch will tend to make the rope pile toward the middle, and will start to jam up as the pile gets to the bottom of the winch.

I agree you will need to make sure the hatch is well held down if you're putting a lot of load on the anchor.

They sure make life easier, good luck with it!

Cheers,

Tim

ozassassin
13-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi Chimo, the hatch is bolted down but can be unhitched to make access if i need to get inside if needed.
I agree mate the last thing i need is to see it go over the side.

Midnight
13-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Gday Oz,
Nice job, I wouldn't have a boat without a winch for all the reasons you describe!

Please dont take offence, but the position of your fuel line and squeeze bulb, directly over the batteries and next to the switches, scares the bejeezes outa me!

Is there another route that the fuel line can take on the other side away from that gear?

Cheers,
Myles

ozassassin
13-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Midnight, no offence taken,
you know, I never really looked at the fuel line position until you pointed it out, that is the way it come out of production from Signature when i picked it up, and you'd think they'd know what there doing.
you make a good point Myles, I will now look at changing the position of the fuel line and squeeze bulb, thanks for bring it to my attention Myles.

Eric

Jarrah Jack
13-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Good one there Eric.

I'm doing the same thing to my boat at the moment. I think it will be liberating and I can see I'll be moving around a lot more so hopefully more fish.

TimD
13-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Looks good Eric, we might have to organise another trip soon to test it out

cheers tim :)

Midnight
13-10-2009, 10:44 PM
No probs Eric,
In my experience boat yards tend to do what is quick and easy to get the thing out the door, have a look at how they wire most trailer boats, it is mediocre at best.

Yeah i didnt mean to detract from your good work with the winch, I just don't like seeing petrol near sparks!

Cheers Eric and enjoy the use of the anchor winch! You will wonder how you ever lived without one!

Myles

cormorant
14-10-2009, 03:13 PM
You can use r pins and then your hatch is still acessable for any jams rather than bolts The force should all be a shear force not a lifting force so a stainless guy could make up a several pins suitable for teh r pins to go through

is there a protector between the fairlead and the winch as the chain may bash crap out of your deck.

Looks good.

ozassassin
15-10-2009, 06:25 AM
Hi Tim D,
Yes we will need to get out so you can show me how to fish with soft plastic mate, as soon as i get a day off and the weather is kind we'll be off.

Eric

ozassassin
15-10-2009, 06:31 AM
Hi Cormorant,
thanks for the advice mate I will indeed look into your suggestion, I have realised that I will need more anchor points to hold hatch in place so defiantly look into it.

Eric

ozscott
15-10-2009, 06:45 AM
Nice looking winch on a nice looking boat. Mate how thick is the hatch cover itself? When I bolted on a slightly less powerful leccy windlass I bolted through 1.2 inches of foredeck glass over wood...and I was happy that it was that thick. Mine is overkill but I just wondered. The load on them can be high.

Cheers

ozassassin
21-10-2009, 12:33 PM
OK this is the latest change to my electric anchor winch set up, put in more braces and an angle brace to lock down the hatch to stop it from moving, i have tested it out by towing the car with the winch, i hope you agree it will not be going anywhere now.

Eric

TimD
21-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Looking good Eric :thumbsup:

cheers tim