PDA

View Full Version : stacer - how to add underfloor storage ?

datamile
12-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Now that we are getting to point where a family boat trip looks more like carrying enough for a 2 week holiday I considering adding under deck storage.

If I take up the deck to see whats under it, what do I need to be warry of if I'm looking to add storage ? Is the floor providing any strength/stress member to the hull ? Is it ok to have things lose ?

Rear of helm appears to be floor large sections of deck with a access hole at the rear for pump access etc. Not sure what is under the front bowrider sections.

black runner
12-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi Data,

I have a 2005 460 runabout which looks about the same vintage as yours.
Appart from the swivel seat bases, You'll find that there's not too many other screws holding the floor down, and the small amount of floor area that you would break into shouldn't affect the bit of stiffness that the floor adds, especially if you screw around the opening.

It's good practice to take the floor up every season anyway to check that no sinkers or other items that may cause corrosion have found their way down below.

You will also find that the floor ribs have transverse crossmembers welded to them which the floor is screwed to - its these that provide significant stiffening to the hull and shouldn't be modified unless you get advice from a boat builder/naval architect first.

If you add under floor storage you will need to redistribute the floatation that you remove so there is no loss.

You would be best to make an insert (or source a tub) that fits between the ribs so that items are contained and don't just lay loose on the bottom sheets. Don't forget a bung for drainage.

It would be worth having a word to your local stacer dealer for some ideas as underfloor storage was an option on these models.

Cheers

Luc
13-10-2009, 09:35 AM
I did that in my tinny to add extra storage.

Lift the floor, pick a place between the ribs, remove enough foam to create the space, cut floor & use the cut piece to make the lid.

As mine was to store the anchors & ropes, I used carpet to make the container and before putting it in, I cut up one of those foam tiles to put 2 layers of padding on the hull before fitting the carpet. the carpet container allows for drainage and makes it easy to remove the anchors/ropes for a good clean.

Luc

oldboot
13-10-2009, 10:05 AM
before you do any of this sort of thing you need to have a serious look at your flotation......if it isn't a recent boat ( last couple of years) it my be a bit shy on flotation to start with.

cheers

datamile
13-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Not sure how much floatation if any is installed. It's 2005 boat, and there's none in the rear after the fuel tank.

black runner
13-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Not sure how much floatation if any is installed. It's 2005 boat, and there's none in the rear after the fuel tank.

Hi Data you will find floatation under the floor between the ribs when you pull it up. Mine (2005) has big wedges of polystyrene (the cheapest type) cut to fill the void beneath the floor and bottom sheets and as with yours none down near the transom. This is where you can relocate the styrene you take out plus add some more while you are at it. Make sure it is retained at the extremities of the transom and chines so that a well/water collection point is maintained around the bilge pump.

Cheers