PDA

View Full Version : Boat fill foams

microboss
11-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Here a question, on the back of what happened in Port Philip Bay recently (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26190609-12377,00.html). It is strange that in Australia even popular boats like Haines Hunter do not have a good floatation. Seems like any issue and the boat does not float, unlike the Boston Whalers. Why it is that Australia has no safety standards on the floatation of the hulls?

Pommy Matt
11-10-2009, 07:50 PM
My understanding is that new boats do have to have at least 'basic flotation' - this means the boat mustn't sink when swamped, but need not remain level and upright. Not sure exactly when this came in but it was along with the Australian Builders Plate - sometime earlier this year in NSW I think. It applies for boats up to a certain length - not sure but around 6m or so.
It is a good question tho why it has taken so long, and why only the basic v's level flotation. The US has had level flotation as a requirement on under 20' boats for many years, and most manufacturers build to tougher NMMA specs.

oldboot
12-10-2009, 12:13 AM
It seems most modern boats have "basic flotation"... but there are lots of not that old boats that would sink line a stone if they got full of water.

The tasmanian marine safety people considered it such an issue they published a leaflet on how to upgrade your flotation.

cheers

stinky-stabi
12-10-2009, 05:58 AM
thats why i bought a RBB.....safest way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jarrah Jack
12-10-2009, 08:26 AM
I also think what is just as bad or perhaps even worse is the lack of engineering standards for recreational hulls. How those Savage splitters where ever allowed out of the factory is beyond me. I contacted the marine board many times about them once and eventhough one of their inspectors said he would never take his family to sea in one nothing was ever done.

The head of the marine board of Victoria even denied that there was an endemic problem when I met him at a factory where two hull bottoms were being replaced.

Thankfully most have been turned into beer cans by now.

Stuart
12-10-2009, 08:39 AM
When my 7.35 meter centre console was under construction I installed over 2 cubic meters of high density foam in the hull and under the gunnels. It still amazes me that most boats over 5 meters dont have much of if any foam at all.

Stu

Noelm
12-10-2009, 10:36 AM
air is a much better flotation material than foam, and there is no danger of it becoming water logged, but of course, a hole soon puts paid to any air chambers, that's when adequate bilge pumps come into play!

cormorant
12-10-2009, 11:33 AM
air is a much better flotation material than foam, and there is no danger of it becoming water logged, but of course, a hole soon puts paid to any air chambers, that's when adequate bilge pumps come into play!

Problem with bilge pumps is they require power ( or strong arms) and are never big enough. Sealed air compartments corrode and get holes

Might be better with alow pressure air pump to keep pressure in holed pod than allow water in to be pumped out. Tough bladders have been used as well.

Best option is fully sealed polly with foam in it as it indestructable but again it needs to be designed in from the start with bolt down style decks so you can still access and maintain the hull. Hulls that are inaccessable will always worry me as there is nothing like a visual inspection of welds and glass bulkheads.

Stuart
12-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Air tight compartments are a bit of a joke in my opinion. Both glass and alloy will eventually fatigue and let the air out. If the hull is breached then air tight compartments will do bugger all. I would rather foam any day of the week. My naval architect also advised very strongly to apply foam. I would much rather take his advice over unqualified opinions.

Stu

lethal098
12-10-2009, 04:35 PM
if your boat does not have foam and floor is not removeable how do you put foam in, i have heard of a 2 pac type product but cannot seem to find it, has anyone had to go down that path??? cheers Lee

stinky-stabi
12-10-2009, 06:13 PM
just watch some of those products as some foam has a reaction with aluminium..
you must do your homework and do it well ....

nigelr
12-10-2009, 06:38 PM
if your boat does not have foam and floor is not removeable how do you put foam in, i have heard of a 2 pac type product but cannot seem to find it, has anyone had to go down that path??? cheers Lee

Depends on the configuration of your boat; microlen EVA sheet can be placed under the gunnels and inside thwarts, transom etc to good effect. Easier and far less messy to use than 2 pack etc.
Try doing a search for 'microlen' in this forum for some ideas.
Cheers.

oldboot
13-10-2009, 09:39 AM
the water logging issue in trailer boats is over stated in my opinion......if the boat is out of the water for the majority of its life and it has a drained hull.......that is most of us....... any of the suitable flotation foams will not get appreciably water logged in the time it is in the water.

as for any of the boats with unfilled air chambers......if those chambers get holed they will do nothing.

the pour in two part foams are available from marine suppliers....BUT.....they are very much frowned upon by the serious boat building community when poured into cavities.......especilay in boats sat at a mouring...........this sort of foam is heavy in comparison to others.........considerably heavier than styro......and when poured into the hull is there for keeps.......it retains moisture and provides no drainage.

some of the boat builders use the pour in foams to cast shaped pieces that are then placed in and are removable.....others pour the thwarts ( seats) full of the stuff.........this stuff does hold water long term if it is left submersed................it takes a while to absorb the water and some time to dry out............if the foam is off the bottom of the boat ( can drain) and the boat is out of the water and dry most of the time.....this stuff should not present a problem that way..........similarly with styro.

My view is that flotation in a bilge should be able to be removed without difficulty and should sit a little off the bottom of the hull to allow normal drainage of the bilge...........this then reduces the water logging issue and the corrosion issue, as well as allowing proper cleaning and inspection of the bilge

one reasonable option for enclosed spaces is to fill them with pieces of flotation material..........I looked at the pod on the new tub and saw 30 litres of flotation space... but only a 6 inch round access port.....so I cut up pool noodles into lengths and stacked them in the space.

oh on the subject of pool noodles.................I tested a piece for fuel reaction ( petrol).........I took a piece of pool noodle and stuck it in a jar of unleaded overnight.............no appreciable reaction or absorbtion.

EVA looks good but it is expensive.......PE is similar but a lilttle less expensive..... I have used both for oter purposes .........the stuff pool noodles is made off is available in sheets too...............havn't tried to source.

styro is problay the most fuel reactive.... but seems to be the lightest, cheapest and most easily available...........lots of the current boat use styro in the thwarts..............styro may not be the best choice but it floats possibly better than most and is very much better than no flotation at all.

OH.... BTW...reverse garbage had some big blocks of styro last time I was in there.........several less after I left.

cheers

Jarrah Jack
13-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Air tight compartments are a bit of a joke in my opinion. Both glass and alloy will eventually fatigue and let the air out. If the hull is breached then air tight compartments will do bugger all. I would rather foam any day of the week. My naval architect also advised very strongly to apply foam. I would much rather take his advice over unqualified opinions.

Stu

There are innumerable instances of naval architects getting it wrong going way back to that old English, pride of the fleet , tripple decker that sank when it opened its lower gun ports.

On the subject of foams reacting with alloy I know of one local very good boat builder that went out of business because he began using the wrong foam.

TheRealAndy
13-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I used to use bean bag foam in my trailer yacht. Put the stuff in thick poly bags and use one of those heat sealers to seal the beans in. Works a treat.

oldboot
13-10-2009, 10:44 AM
gun ports on a prehitoric square rigger have absolutely nothing to do with flotation in modern boats.

the simple fact is that an air cavity provides absilutly no flotation when it has a hole in it and is full of water......................and.....unless such air cavities are divided by several sealed bulkheads.....one decent hole can negate a large proportion of the flotation and the boat will sink like a stone.

even if there is sufficient remaining flotation to keep the boat sort of afloat..........unless the cavities are divided into small enough compartments the boat may heel uncontrolably.

If however you have a foam flotation system.....a hole will do very little to the flotation.
In fact of fortunate the hole may be able to be bunged up, the boat bailed out and run back to shore on the plane.

for example the young bro inlaws boat will float with the bungs out.....get it on the plane & it will self bail.

cheers

ozscott
13-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Is it physically possible to squeeze enough foam into the appropriate places (ie uner gunwales and transom with a little up the front) to keep an old 20 footer glass half cab floating upright even in modest seas.... I have read that Tasmanian Marine Safety article on adding bouyancy and doing my best I think I might just be able to stuff enough of the pieces the stuff under the transom and under the gunwales, but I am not sure....my point I suppose is is there any point being say .1 or .2 of a cubic metre short...are you just wasting time and money and encroaching on space unless you can get to the positive bouyancy figure that your boat requires (which on a rough calc mine is .76 cubic metre of flotation required)....any takers?

Cheers

oldboot
13-10-2009, 11:10 AM
As I have said before.....with a greedy eye for flotation it isn't all that hard to find places to stick a few litres here and a few there.

remember 50mm x 100mm x 200mm is a litre which is close as damit to 1KG of flotation.

remember in the words of the mechanic in mad max......a p p p piece here and a p p piece there.

cheers

ozscott
13-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks matey - I accept that. I suppose my question though is this - if you know that your boat requires say .7 cu of flotation (air or foam or combo) and you can only at best get .6 doesnt that mean that your boat will, when full of water disappear under you....I suppose though that there is full and then there is full...so .6 would save you if the thing was only say 80% full of water which is pretty bloody good.

Cheers

PS. Which means I suppose that stuffing as much in as possible above the waterline will translate to allowing much more water in the boat before it will sink versus no extra flotation

ozscott
13-10-2009, 01:36 PM
...errr...hold on am I right about that...doesnt the bouyancy provided by the extra foam only make a difference when the boat is completely inundated by water...ie until then the bouyancy added above the water line isnt making any difference....can an engineer or someone with actual experience in experimenting with the flotation of things help me out here...

Cheers

microboss
13-10-2009, 04:00 PM
interesting, thanks for replies.....

now another question, is there an Australian Hull with positive flotation?

I'm sure that if i were to crack the hull on my stajcraft she is sure to go down.

i know that Cruise Craft of some form of these hull, on special request, once again i am not sure how much of a 'positive flotation' she is.

Dicko
13-10-2009, 05:08 PM
This US Coast guard boatbuilders handbook is worth reading for anyone building or modifying an existing to boat for level flotation standards.

(the flotation section is towards the bottom).

http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/boatbuilder_s_handbook/downloads.aspx

Quite a bit of calculating (and converting to metric), but well worth it if your serious about not having your boat sink out from under you if swamped.

stinky-stabi
13-10-2009, 07:47 PM
aussie boats with positive floation would be ocean craft, ocean cylinder, whaler to name a couple and if you look into you will find there are quiet a few

Pommy Matt
13-10-2009, 08:09 PM
As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, it is my understanding that at least basic flotation is now a requirement on all boats sold under 6m in this country. Better late than never, but as the OP asked - why just basic flotation?
It doesn't seem to be common knowledge judging by this thread. I only found out about it whilst trying to sort out an ABP for a US boat that I am importing.

boatie_72
13-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Basic flotation is standard in all new boats sold less than 6m,

and yes unless the boat is fully swamped foam under the gunwales does not really count. If you are trying to achieve level you do not want all the foam under the floor you will require side paneling, also by putting scuppers it will help equalize the water in the boat, by this i mean, with out somewhere for the water to drain the boat might hold more water then what it has in buoyancy. Some boat builders more the aluminium ones will offer level on all their boats. Some even come standard.

Pommy Matt
13-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Level flotation has been a legal requirement on all boats in the US under 20 feet (6.5m) powered by outboards >2hp since 1978.

oldboot
13-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Quite a few new boats are plated for both basic and level flotation usualy the level flotation will be with a reduced capacity.

seajay plate for both basic and level flotation and offer "flotation to survey" on request....all commercialy used boats have far more stringent flotation requirements.

cheers

MyWay
13-10-2009, 11:05 PM
there is 1000 boat builders out there big ones and small ones and they are all claim their boat will float if capsize. why some one actually show us in moderate sea not flat water. Turn over boat or make big hole in boat and show to public what will happens .
So far as i know only one i saw will float if fill with water and was stabi craft.

Rest of boat they can say what ever they want to till i see i dont believe .
they can use many tables and mathematics calculation to calculate how much boat need foams or air chambers to float i dont believe.
i just hope no one of us will relay on their flotation

myway

oldboot
13-10-2009, 11:20 PM
there are quite a few boats out there with exceptional flotation.
A bloke up north is building banana boats that are not only almost impossible to sink they also self right.

there are more than a few boats that can match the stabi craft........any of the foam filled cavity glass hulls.( built like a surf board).....will be near impossible to sink.......the polly boats likewise.
any small boat built to survey should be near impossible to sink......any of the RIBs....that is why the government and many of the VMR's use them.

stabi craft have just done a good sell job.
turn your stabicraft on its lid and see if you can right it.

this flotation thing has be arround for decades....I have photo's somewhere of my old man and the staff of the townsville harbour and marine office all sitting in a fully swamped small dingy still upright way back in the early sixties............someone was pushing for this then.

cheers

stinky-stabi
14-10-2009, 06:34 AM
there are quite a few boats out there with exceptional flotation.
A bloke up north is building banana boats that are not only almost impossible to sink they also self right.

there are more than a few boats that can match the stabi craft........any of the foam filled cavity glass hulls.( built like a surf board).....will be near impossible to sink.......the polly boats likewise.
any small boat built to survey should be near impossible to sink......any of the RIBs....that is why the government and many of the VMR's use them.

stabi craft have just done a good sell job.
turn your stabicraft on its lid and see if you can right it.

this flotation thing has be arround for decades....I have photo's somewhere of my old man and the staff of the townsville harbour and marine office all sitting in a fully swamped small dingy still upright way back in the early sixties............someone was pushing for this then.

cheers

try righting any capsized boat ................. pppffffffff::)::)::)::)::)::)::)

oldboot
14-10-2009, 09:35 AM
for months we have been hearing how wonderful and marvelous the stabicrafts are.........truth is there are quite a few boats that perform as well if not better......AND they aren't uggy:P.

Any boat with a lot of ( or all) flotation high in the hull like a stabicraft and heavy like a stabicraft will be hard to right.... even in a small boat with no superstructure.

Any large boat that is not self righting will be very hard to right... but

as mentioned some of the banana boats will self right.....as will many of the boats with distributed flotation.

If you want to consider the matter look at most of the smallish sail boats......it is assumed that at some time you will end up on your lid and it is expected that the crew will be able to right the boat and continue.

In my view, secondary floation needs to be considered more in powered boating than it is.

cheers

Hell Boy
14-10-2009, 10:28 AM
for months we have been hearing how wonderful and marvelous the stabicrafts are.........truth is there are quite a few boats that perform as well if not better......AND they aren't uggy:P.

Any boat with a lot of ( or all) flotation high in the hull like a stabicraft and heavy like a stabicraft will be hard to right.... even in a small boat with no superstructure.

Any large boat that is not self righting will be very hard to right... but

as mentioned some of the banana boats will self right.....as will many of the boats with distributed flotation.

If you want to consider the matter look at most of the smallish sail boats......it is assumed that at some time you will end up on your lid and it is expected that the crew will be able to right the boat and continue.

In my view, secondary floation needs to be considered more in powered boating than it is.

cheers

Hey Old boot,

just regarding, your comment on weight, i've got a 529WXR and the hull is 535KG, now if i compare it to a "Quintrex 530 spirit hull that weights 590KG and they are a pressed boat. i know its just one boat, but i don't think you can say that all stabicrafts are heavy than other boats.

also i know i'd rather be in a stabicraft when the shit hits the fan than in the Quintrex

And as for ugly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder:D i like the look of the stabicraft as they are a little different looking than most boats. everyones got there own view on what is good looking, look at friends and mates and how they think there girlfriend or wife is hot/good looking and in truth they aren't:o . but after a six pack of rum and cokes they then to get better looking, lol

cheers

hakuna
14-10-2009, 11:16 AM
use pool noodles
not effected by salt water, do not water log, light and fuel has no effect on them.

cheap too, just hide them from the kids

1 noodle lifts about 100kg.

oldboot
14-10-2009, 11:44 AM
I noodle lifts 100KG...???? I dont think so......unless it is a BIG noodle about the size of 5 x 20litre drums.

may be 10 KG

cheers

hakuna
14-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Well I am 110kg and it floats me in the pool just fine, try it.

Stuart
14-10-2009, 12:31 PM
And where do you buy cheap pool noodles from?

Stu

stinky-stabi
14-10-2009, 01:07 PM
crazy clarkes or most of those cheap bric a brac stores
oldboot nobody's spruken how good anything is, but im with hellboy when the going gets tough i know wot i wanna be in. and my hull is only 430kgs for 5.2m not heavy at all

STUIE63
14-10-2009, 01:13 PM
so are the stabi hulls air or foam filled
Stuie

stinky-stabi
14-10-2009, 01:19 PM
so are the stabi hulls air or foam filled
Stuie

mine is air with 5 seperate compartments but you can have them foam filled in factory for an extra cost..also in hard top model the roof can be foam filled in the air compartment to reduce risk complete turtl manouver as fitted to AVCG 859's

Hell Boy
14-10-2009, 01:29 PM
the hull to floor in the stabi is also sealed to create an air chamber, so i guess you could add that as well to the 5 sealed air chambers.

Pommy Matt
14-10-2009, 01:47 PM

For the noodle to be genuinely supporting 110kg, all of you would have to be out of the water whilst you are resting on the noodle. I can float in the pool without anything under me at all. Are you really suggesting that 7 pool noodles would keep the average 15 foot boat afloat? :o

cbs
14-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Seems to be a lot of misconceptions regarding buoyancy foams and quantity requirements.

Firstly, as has been stated, boats less than 6m length and built after july 2006 are required to have a statement on the builders plate stating that foam flotation has been fitted and if it is "Basic" or "Level" flotation. The Australian builders plate standard also defines which standards/methods can be used to calculate the required amount of foam flotation. Standards that can be used include ABYC, AS1799, ISO and any other recognised applicable standard. Each of these standards will give reasonably similar answers, but do vary in their application. The notion that Australia does not have any standards in place is simply untrue.

Now the calculations themselves.....
The notion that 1 cubic metre of foam will provide 1000 kg is a rough estimate. Typically, one cubic metre of seawater will weigh 1025kg and buoyancy foam somewhere around 30 kg/m3 hence the net supportive buoyancy will be 1025-30 = 995kg. In the fresh, it will be 1000-70=970kg. Make sense?

Similarly, a 2000kg FRP or alloy boat will not require 2000kg of buoyancy to remain afloat. Why? Because of the relative density of the hull material and the water. This is also the reason that a single pool noodle may/will support a 110kg person in the pool. People are mostly water after all. Don't believe me? Try attaching 110kg of lead/fibreglass/alluminium and watch it go to to the bottom.

Each of the standards that can be used to determine foam quantities will address this match between hull materials and water. Further, and in the case of AS1799, the final swamped waterline, superstructure weight, equipment/outboard mass and load mass are all considered.

The calculations themselves are not too hard, but do require some effort to get the right answers after comprehending the relevant standards. Unfortunately, a lot of boatbuilders are not adverse to sitting down, intepreting the standards and correctly applying the mathematical concepts. This leads to a situation in some cases where unless they are enforced/checked by a third party a "she'll be right" attitude is adopted and the result is a possibly inaccurate guess by said builder which unless followed up with a practical swamp test could be devastating.

The commercial side ie survey vessels, is of course much better regulated in this regard.

I say all this from the position of someone who has on occasion, had to perform these calculations as part of the industry, for a number of vessels of different size and function.

hakuna
14-10-2009, 04:05 PM
I didn't want to get technical, thats cool, thanks cbs well explained

cheer

rooboy98
14-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I recently rebuilt my 4.1m tinny and decided to install microlen.

One photo shows how much polystyrene foam was originally installed. I managed to the install 2 micolen sheets shown in the other photo. Each sheet was 2.4m x 1.2m x 100mm thick. I reckon most people will be surprised at how much foam can be fitted. The other two photos show it installed below the floor inside the casting deck hatch and also installed directly underneath the casting deck floor so I didn't lose any floor space inside the forward hatch.

Cheers,
Roo.

nigelr
14-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Great job roo, makes the old tinny a lot quieter too, I reckon!
Mind you, your tinny is a lot better looking than my Stessco lol!
Cheers.

TheRealAndy
14-10-2009, 07:39 PM

But you are more boyant than a lump of fibreglass or aluminium.

Pool Noodles also break down in UV and do get waterlogged

oldboot
14-10-2009, 09:58 PM

Yes but...the human body is close to neutraly bouyant.....how else do you think you can float on your back or swim.

air is 100% bouyant.....foam holds air... that is why it floats....for all intents and purposes we estimate flotation as 1KG per litre of foam or 1 tonne per cubic meter or 20kg for a 5 gallon drum or 205 kg for a "44"

so to make my 16' center console positivly bouyant....it needs to have over 600 litres of flotation or about 3 x 44 gal drums of flotation.

that is a lot of pool noodles.

cheers

TheRealAndy
15-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Yes but...the human body is close to neutraly bouyant.....how else do you think you can float on your back or swim.

air is 100% bouyant.....foam holds air... that is why it floats....for all intents and purposes we estimate flotation as 1KG per litre of foam or 1 tonne per cubic meter or 20kg for a 5 gallon drum or 205 kg for a "44"

so to make my 16' center console positivly bouyant....it needs to have over 600 litres of flotation or about 3 x 44 gal drums of flotation.

that is a lot of pool noodles.

cheers

Not so sure about that. How heavy is you 16' CC? The boats I used to race are 20ft and weigh about 500kg with half that being a keel on the bottom. I have a photo here (will post up tonight) of a boat that is still floating after being completly swamped.

Noelm
15-10-2009, 08:07 AM
OK then lets just recap (tongue in cheek) a Stabi is much like the Titanic, unsinkable and as ugly as, pool noodles could save the world, they can support 110KG using just one! air floats! any floatation is better than none (at least thats true) people have tried everything to make their boat unsinkable and believe they are correct! foam high up above water line helps the boat somehow when it is not sunk! anything I have missed?

samson
15-10-2009, 09:14 AM
The way i see it with USL codes the way they are maritime want safe ship wrecks not safe fishing boats so putting as much foam in a boat especially above waterline is all they care about.

finga
15-10-2009, 09:57 AM
We all should be using polyboats.
They cannot sink...even if cut into 7 bits.
The poly itself is buoyant.

Noelm
15-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't want to get stuck with the piece with the motor bolted to it! or, we could all use boats made out of pool noodles, all zip tied together, or better still a poly boat filled with pool noodles, sorry, I will not post on this again, it's just that I have been off for a few days and I am all silly untill I get all depressed again.

Hell Boy
15-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't want to get stuck with the piece with the motor bolted to it! or, we could all use boats made out of pool noodles, all zip tied together, or better still a poly boat filled with pool noodles, sorry, I will not post on this again, it's just that I have been off for a few days and I am all silly untill I get all depressed again.

You did forget one thing Noelm, what about the pool noodle home made lifejacket to go with the pool noodle boat.:D ohh now what colour pool noodle should i use:P

ozscott
15-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Does anyone see a problem with me liberating some space on deck by sticking all the pool noodles that I would have put up under the transom and gunwales on top of bimini....its above the water line....I was thinking zip ties and they could just poke upwards at various angles...I might look like a thistle/dick head but I WOULD be a floating one at least....

Cheers

stinky-stabi
15-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Does anyone see a problem with me liberating some space on deck by sticking all the pool noodles that I would have put up under the transom and gunwales on top of bimini....its above the water line....I was thinking zip ties and they could just poke upwards at various angles...I might look like a thistle/dick head but I WOULD be a floating one at least....

Cheers

i think your on to something scott, or could that be on something .lolololol;D

Noelm
15-10-2009, 02:42 PM
OK, I think we have had a few giggles from what is quite a serious topic, but it seems we are all concerned about safety, and how things should, but still look for the cheap way out, manufacturers could build most boats that would be next to unsinkable, but as soon as they do, price goes up, and the cheap model next to it without all the added safety "stuff" gets the sale.

gr hilly
15-10-2009, 04:01 PM
roo youve made a job for me im off to buy some for my 4.2 tinny well done not only the safety factor but a lot more quite here fishy fishy thanks for pics glynn

oldboot
15-10-2009, 09:02 PM
make a boat out of pool noodles......why not.....there are people who would do it just for fun......if you could get them in say 5 metre lengths you could make a ripper........the darwinians have a whole fesitival arround beer can boats.

then you could get all involved in the whole wooden boat thing...wood floats.

Have a look at hannu's boat yard.......he was concerned about the flotation of one of his designs...and thaought he should put some air chambers in it......till he tried to sink it.

there is a picture if him sitting in the boat on its side... wood floats.

as for my CC... it weighs 860KG on trailer....I estimate the trailer at 200Kg......I'll know for sure in the next couple of days when I weigh it on the new trailer.....or weigh the old trailer unladen.

cheers

cormorant
15-10-2009, 09:45 PM
pool noodles far to ugly - you guys are not taking this issue seriously- I think darth vader used pool noodles to keep the death star afloat in space diddn't he? He always carriesd that collapsable noodle as well. Did Carrie Fisher ever get any noodle?

I'm using ping pong balls - anyone suggest a glue that also floats??

Noodles rule

Balls rule more

PS Thanks for the laugh Noel

PSS If anyone is cutting up a polly into 7 bits and hanging on can I be there and watch please?

datamile
15-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Would rubber bath ducks work ?

cormorant
15-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Would rubber bath ducks work ?

My balls and his noodle will fluck your duck anyday

Tangles
15-10-2009, 10:03 PM
This topic is off track!!!

Ive been using Ping Pong balls for years, Pool noodles,, GIVE ME A BREAK!

How many posts did it take you redneck michelin star fishos to work that out?

And I challenge you maths whizzes to do the maths on that?

And the answer is not..."if you need foam your f...k'd.. thats a different equation.

Noelm
16-10-2009, 07:51 AM
except for the bit about being off track, I have no idea what you just said!

ozscott
16-10-2009, 08:04 AM
PSS If anyone is cutting up a polly into 7 bits and hanging on can I be there and watch please?

Arggh...So...there is a use for poly boats afterall...cut them into pieces and stuff them into glass boats gunwales for extra bouyancy...

Cheers;D

oldboot
17-10-2009, 10:41 AM
If anybody has a poly boat...I'd be happy to provide the chain saw;D. ( damn, no chainsaw emoticon).

cheers