PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable for Moreton Bay?

MBPaddler
09-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm thinking of getting an inflatable boat for Moreton Bay (with a 15-25Hp motor?). I have a 2 and a 4 year old who love the water, but obviously can only take so much time out there before needing a play.

I kayak on the bay quite a bit, but don't have a lot of experience with powered boats (we had an inflatable when I was growing up inland). An inflatable with perhaps an aluminium hull seems perfect for launching from anywhere, pulling up on any island/sandbank if the kids want to play - and also for me to get back into the water should I run into a sandbank at low tide (due to my obvious inexperience). Being the kids' mum (not dad :P ) this would all occur at low speeds!

Does this sound like a good plan? A crazy plan? I do use a 6Hp inflatable rescue boat sometimes with a group I volunteer with, but I'm guessing doing the boaties licence would teach me most of the safety stuff I'd need to know outside of what's simply common sense.

Thanks!

White Pointer
09-10-2009, 10:10 PM
G'day,

I've been thinking of selling a boat that I have but then thought of keeping it for close in-shore crabbing around Scarborough. I also have a 6M plate boat and, frankly, the other boat is just taking up space.

What I have may well suit you, but you be the judge.

Its a Rosco Bass Catcher canoe.

It's 4.3M long and just 0.95M wide.

But is does have Rosco twin outriggers - and when these are rigged it's wider than a trailer boat - very stable.

It also has a Rosco single sail with pole, mast and boom and quality S/S fittings.

It also has a sailing rudder that I made using marine varnished timbers, a disused Yamaha outboard mounting clamp and plastic sewer pipe. It works!

It also has 2-year old 3.5Hp 4-stroke Mercury outboard (very light) with very few hours but due for service on time - not hours. Therefore licencing is not required, but I would still recommend getting a license. This also comes with a wash-out bucket full of fresh water and soluble oil, a wheeled outboard stand and a heavy duty static stand for transport and doing the washout.

It sits on a fairly new galvanised full roller trailer that is able to be pulled apart. It is not a trailer I would recommend for the boat, but I've done a fair bit of work on it to make it acceptable. The trailer is recently re-registered.

Safety gear includes two aluminium and plastic paddles and 1 x male and 2 x female adult flotation devices for paddling. You would need to buy PFDs for the babies. I also have two "White Owl" timber paddles but these are made for me and my wife to our height.

I reckon it would cost me around $7,000 to replace it, not including hours of work making rudders, transom mounts and setting up trailers. If I sell it I would be looking for around $5,000.

If you or others show interest I might advertise it here. PM me if you want to have a look.

White Pointer

Blackened
10-10-2009, 06:26 AM
G'day

Why an inflatable... why not poly or tinny for your described intent?

Dave

Argle
10-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Id be looking at a tinny or poly as Dave suggested, higher sides, and possibly a flat carpeted floor for one would be a real advantage with little ones on board, another is the ease of mounting a bimini for shade - also a must with little ones on board. Keep looking and asking questions, there are no stupid questions when you are new to something and there are plenty of people here who are happy to help.

Cheers
Scott

grey_inflatable
10-10-2009, 06:18 PM
hi mate i have a ex surf rescue inflatable with a 30 hp i realy like it, it is very stable hop in and go, i take my out to mud island from the bris river but i find that its a long way in such a small boat, but were in the bay you going and how far out because it gets pretty rough and choppy. the ride in my boat can be wet and rough does not worry me but the wife makes me slow down. my next boat will be bigger and heaver, but i still would keep my inflatable, we camp on the beach and muck around in the surf (bar crossing practice;) ) and good for river fishing in the shallows.

P.S hope the kids can swim.

cheers

MBPaddler
10-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks very much for all the answers. WRT a tinny - I've been told inflatables are a softer ride, and also more stable? I'm not really sure what a poly is? (sorry) Thanks again for the great answers! Wouldn't want to get the wrong thing :S

oldboot
10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
An appropriate RIB...( rigid inflatable boat ) will probably cost you more than a similar aluminium,will be heavier and therefore more costly to power..and then there are the punctures.

how a boat rides depends on two things...the shape of the hull and the weight.

inflatables have many good points bit the cost of ownership is high coppared to a simple aluminium hull.

as for safety......most of the new boats have much better floatation than in the past.

for the bay you will be looking at 14 foot with 30Hp minimum.....you could get into something new for about $8000.

going 16 foot will give you considerably more comfort and safety margin... but more cost.

cheers

Blackened
11-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Thanks very much for all the answers. WRT a tinny - I've been told inflatables are a softer ride, and also more stable? I'm not really sure what a poly is? (sorry) Thanks again for the great answers! Wouldn't want to get the wrong thing :S

G'day

Generally speaking... Inflatable will be more expensive, and you will loose internal room because of the tubes, and they're not ideal for fishing (punctures)

Aluminium (pressed) can be harsh riding, but not too bad... great all rounder, easily bought and sold.
(plate) great alternative but we're talking bigger $$ here. characteristics more like that of fibre glass.

Poly (Polycraft) aka plastic is ideal I believe, next to no maintenance issues, weighty like fibreglass so it rides well.

Fibreglass, one of the best but can be easily damaged cosmetically, more hp. required for a given length and arguably provides one of the best rides.

Best off putting up a criteria of what you require, what vehicle you have to tow with, budget and let the suggestions come your way!

Dave

MBPaddler
11-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks again for the answers, can I ask if it's ok for a Polycraft boat to rest on sand banks and be pushed back into the water the way tinny's can? I'll have to look into them more.

Blackened
12-10-2009, 06:07 AM
G'day

Yes it is, but keep in mind the weight....

Dave