PDA

View Full Version : Need to put steering back together

Coontakinta
08-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Ok, I'm back with a dumb question:-[

Am ready to put my steering back together. Is never seize, graphite grease, or standard marine grease the best option for lubing the shaft / rod. The bit that moves infront of the motor?

The steering is the cable type, not hydraulic, if this maters & is there any pre-fitting maintenance, lubing that can be done to the spiraled shaft behind the sheath?

Will also re-grease the steering mechanism (the bit behind the wheel) so again of the three above is one better than the other?

Sorry, but am a REAL NOOB at this sorta thing:-[

sjp2
08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
i think you had better d/load the instructions before any regreasing etc , i have just installed one and there is no recomendation for any regreasing except the rod

datamile
08-10-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm sure past threads have said never to use grease as it will just go hard over time and lock up your steering. I'm sure gear oil on the rod was the recommendation.

Jarrah Jack
08-10-2009, 09:07 PM
As I have learned from reading some previous threads it is ok to use quality marine grease, not the type we use on wheel bearings. BRP and Suzuki make their own. I just got some quicksilver stuff from the local yami dealer the other day.

It is anti corrosive so you can use it on the prop shaft and various bolts on the motor as well like the diode bolts. Its makes them easy to undo next time.