PDA

View Full Version : Top dollar for old motor

Jarrah Jack
07-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi All Just thought I would let you know that I just got over $4000 for a '85 115 hp yami which is much more than I hoped. I sold it through ebay with a mechanics report which would've helped get the price up.

I can't understand why, when people are advertising boats and motors, that they don't include the compressions at least. I don't think they all want to hide a bad motor.

So if any of you are thinking about upgrading I can say that now, with the onset of better weather down south, is a good time to sell.

gazza2006au
08-10-2009, 12:02 AM
i think i seen the auction and i think the buyer is bloody crazy!

billfisher
08-10-2009, 07:00 AM
If you listen to 4 stroke salesmen they will till you it should be close to worthless (if not now then in a short time).

Pazz01
08-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Jesus, for our 97 2 stroke 200, we were offered 2k for it in good condition, done only 400 hours. If we could get that type of money for the old girl we'd upgrade.

Pazz

ozscott
08-10-2009, 08:38 AM
I have a 93 Yam V4 in excellent condition and low hours (about 400) properly propped for the boat. My mechanic tells me that I should get $4k with it on the boat running - I would be happy to water trial it if ever I wanted to sell it. But to pay that much unseen and not hands on (and for one that old) is a little insane....but well done mate.

Cheers

Noelm
08-10-2009, 08:47 AM
I guess it just goes to show, there is nothing cheap on Ebay! good luck to you I say.

Catweb
08-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Very well done. Did it turn into a bid fight or just one bid? What was your starting price?

Noelm
08-10-2009, 12:22 PM
If you listen to 4 stroke salesmen they will till you it should be close to worthless (if not now then in a short time).
I guess that goes for almost anything you are buying, yours is a worthless pile of junk, but the model he is selling is the best ever made.

Jarrah Jack
08-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Very well done. Did it turn into a bid fight or just one bid? What was your starting price?
It started at a bit over 2k so that means that there were two people keen to pay that price - thats how auctions work. The winning bidder said he would not go a cent higher and I guess the loser thought the same thing.
There are very few used motors in that hp range available. Some guys from Adelaide were very keen also.

bennyboy
08-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Did they ask if you will accept credit card as payment and ship the motor to Nigeria

gazza2006au
08-10-2009, 04:41 PM
i have also seen motors on ebay with people listing "one owner" they go for a small fortune!

FNQCairns
08-10-2009, 05:07 PM
For an 85! that is a good price...for you! Would be fair if it where 10 years younger I guess and in top condition.

I suppose in many peoples minds an engine just propels the boat, to buy one at or below 25% of new engine price then use it for the next 5 years for a cost of another 2-3k for fuel general upkeep is a bargain.

Some don't/cannot pull the gamble off but many do!

I have!.

cheers fnq

whiteman
09-10-2009, 07:20 PM
The Yammie 115 2s is a legend (I have one hanging off the back of my boat). You can still buy them and they still sell! Cheap to run and easy to maintain. Fuel not as good as the equivalent 4s but these things go like scalded cats and their power/weight ratio is brilliant. And you can't kill them.

That's why they are still worth plenty.

ozscott
09-10-2009, 07:34 PM
I agree with that mate - their ONLY problem was having tight water galleys (but to be fair the JohnoRudes in the V4 were also pretty tight) and so salt can build up, but cleaning them out is dead easy cause they are great to work on.

Cheers