PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable Pfd Trouble

ipswichfisher
05-10-2009, 09:47 AM
I, Along With A Lot Of Other People Did Not Know That Inflatable Pfds Are Required To Be Serviced Every 12 Months As Per The Expiry Dates On Or Near The Canister.
At A Somerset Comp On The Weekend Two Fishers Were Sent Off The Water By Fisheries And Threateneda $200 Fine, Not Sure If Or Not They Were Fined Because Their Inflatable Pfd's Were Out Of Test Date.

Some General Comments Were That They Cost About $30-35 To Be Re-tested And Others Said You Can Do This Yourself If You Obtaine The Appropriate Paperwork. I Checked Mine And They Expired In September.

The Ruling Was That If You Have Standard Pfd1 On Board As Well It Is Ok.

If Anyone Can Let Me Know Where Or How To Get These Things Tested, That Would Be Appreciated.

ipswichfisher
05-10-2009, 01:13 PM
I Have Just Found Out From Tackle Store That A Company Called Marine Safe In Slacks Creek Will Test And Certify Them For You Phone 38081988. Cost $34.10 Each.

Swindells
05-10-2009, 01:41 PM
That seems pretty strict but if you want inflatable pfds they have to be in good order or they are useless.

Must take you a long time to type anything out if you putting capitals on the start of every word?

foxx510
05-10-2009, 02:17 PM
You can service them yourself, if you are competent. For a Burke manual PFD :

Remove the gas canister and weigh it on a digital scale, write the weight and date on the cylinder. Check the firing mechanism and replace the firing indicator. Replace the cylinder. Inflate the PFD using the manual inflation tube and leave it overnight to test for leaks. Fully deflate the pfd and refold according to the manual. Note the service date on the service tag.