PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Boat Info

colourco
04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Hey Guys, we are looking to buy a boat for fishing on Port Phillip Bay. I suppose the only fixed idea we have is for a boat size 4.9 to avoid life jacket rule. Other than that we have looked at the Quintrex 490 escape with a 60hp Susuki 4 stroke for about $33000.00 and the TABS 490 with a 90hp Mercury 4 stroke for abot $34000. So our budget is mid 30's. We have had very little boating experience so are looking for something safe - any brand. Would love to get some opinions from you guys. Thanks Mick

P.S could someone explian the pros and cons of pressed aluminium vs plate

Jarrah Jack
04-10-2009, 09:35 PM
I have fished the bay in a lot of different contraptions and recommend a deap v glass boat over your tinnys any day. The short steep chop you can get on the bay will see the Haines Hunter type hull ride much softer than a tinny and will get you to where you wish to go much quicker and therefor out of harmes way if it does blow up.

Having said that, with your budget, you should be able to go out on a few test trials and see for yourself the difference in ride and go from there. No point on going out on a flat day though. Form your own opinion and let the salesman prattle on.

As for the difference between plate and pressed, just do an advanced search on this forum. Its all been discussed before.

colourco
05-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Cheers - we have thought about fibreglass but were concerened about bangs and bumps (being fairly new boaties). If you were going to buy a glass boat in our price range which boat would you lopok at first?

robothefisho
05-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Somthing like a haines hunter 520 Breeze. Could probably get one new around 35 just from a quick look on boatsales if you were good at negotiating. Don't worry about knocking a glass boat around, they repair alot easier than aluminium.

Argle
05-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I can recommend the Haines Signature 493F, best ride in that size monohull boat. You could probably get a new or damn near new for that money, set up with a four stroke. The latest Suzuki 90 would be a better option as the older versions were too heavy for the boat and as such there was a lot of these sold with a 70hp Suzuki fitted. In my opinion the boat would be better with a 90. There are plenty of reviews of this model around, check out Sea Media's site as they have a large range of boat reviews in and around the size you are looking at. I have two young kids 4 & 6 who love getting out in the boat and the Signature has nice high sides and a soft ride and isnt too "tippy" For what its worth my boys wear life jackets at all times when they are on the boat, the key is to get a good fitting one that is comfortable for them to wear.
Good luck in your search, attached is a pic of my tub

Cheers

frankgrimes
05-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Other option is plastic(Polycraft) - ticks all your boxes.

Zero maintenance hull, and strong as....no need to be concerned with bumps/bangs etc, plus excellent ride.

5.3 (Warrior) should fit nicely into your price bracket(Preference is to go max hp on the polys)

http://www.polycraft.com.au/530_warrior.php

Also, regardless of life jacket rule, I would always make kids wear life jackets in boats.

Mick

Jarrah Jack
05-10-2009, 02:17 PM
The haines signiture 493 is an excellent boat and you will feel very safe in it. It won't be too big to handle at the ramp with a good drive on trailer.

The previous comments are correct as far as horsepower goes, a 4 stroke 90 would be great. Don't discount a secondhand boat as long as you get it checked out by a professional.

colourco
06-10-2009, 07:49 AM
I've had a look around at the glass boats but I think we need to go late 30's early 40's which is just out of our price range. Never heard of plastic boats but I'll look into it. I have spoken to a few people who suggest that unlike new cars , new boats do not drop in value first time used and the price difference between a good second hand and a new one is small. A few have suggested the aluminium boats are a rough ride but sit better at rest wheras a glass boat rides nicer but is less stable at rest. We are thinking a slow comfortable trip (or a quick uncomfortable trip in emergencies) and stable fishing is better than getting there quick and comfortable and then getting motion sickness. Is this a fair statement?

Noelm
06-10-2009, 08:06 AM
no truth what so ever in the glass and Alloy stability thing you mention, it is a design thing, not a material of construction that dictates stability, glass and alloy also are as durable as one another as far as scratches and dings go, maybe glass looks a bit worse for the same size scrape, but is not weaker, but it is easier to repair (I reckon), so some of what you have been told is not to be used to influence your choice.

Jarrah Jack
06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Have a look at boat point and ebay for an idea of haines prices. There was a good low hour 493 on ebay last time I looked at low 20s which gives you heaps of room in the budget to swap around motors if you want.

I own both a quintrex and a haines and there is only one I want to take out on the bay.

Argle
06-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Stability is not an issue for me, we are quite often having skiers climbing in over the back of the boat and even with another person hanging over the side helping them the boat is still very stable. You might want to try and organise a run in both a glass boat and then a tinny, you will soon notice the difference in ride comfort as well as the difference (if any) in stability. I have been in tinnys the same size as the 493 and there is no comparison in anything other than flat water but of course everything rides well on glass. Dont be in a hurry there are heaps of boats for sale at the moment and as mentioned before dont discount an older well looked after hull and an engine upgrade to keep within the budget.

Cheers

Zooter
06-10-2009, 03:03 PM
seriously mate take a Polycraft for a test ride!!!
If you havnt got a dealer near you , Im sure there would be a member from the PBO forums (poly boat owners forum) that would be in your area and happy to take you for a run :)

You cant hurt these things, You wont see a poly owner freaking out if there boat is sitting on some rocks etc at rest .lol