PDA

View Full Version : h hunter 650 classic

bigbrian47
02-10-2009, 05:59 PM
looking at upsizing, the 650 is on the shortlist of glass boats,
probably with a 200-225 4stroke.
a concern is any glass boat without glass stringers,
i understand the sealing of timber/ply stringers is the important bit,
how good are the modern h/hunters underfloor??
does anyone on here have one of these
if so what are your thoughts on them good and bad
cheers brian

littlemac
03-10-2009, 12:34 AM
hi brian,

i have the 600r breeze, i dont know whats under the floor but i know it does not move- very solid.
you cant go wrong with the HH the are great, they ride great and do everything they need you to do- i love mine

cheers

brett

Searaider 2
03-10-2009, 01:19 AM
Geday Brian ,
Mmmmmm dont know anthing about he HH,s but a 650 should be aTop sized boat .
Not long till our trip now .

bigbrian47
03-10-2009, 06:15 AM
call you this weekend pete

twist
03-10-2009, 06:42 PM
I never hear about many Haines Hunters having many problems.

ozbee
04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
i have had a small crack develop on the inside parallel to the rubber gunnels on the outside . structurally not bad as its only a thin cover hiding the upper hull fastened to the bottom . end result one phone call to dealer on to haines . they have oraginzed a high quality fiberglasser to repair no problemns even though over a 1000 k from factory. cant get much better than that.

Goldfinch
05-10-2009, 05:54 PM
I have the 600 Classic, 2006 model with a Yammy 4 stroke 200hp. Great boat all round. No structural problems in almost 400 hours so far. I only fish offshore and it get's a solid workout. Only difference with the 650 Classic is it is 50cm longer in the rear.

Great boat. Only issue will be if I ever have to choose between it and the Mrs ????

Cheers
Dave

Kill Bill
08-10-2009, 11:47 AM
looking at upsizing, the 650 is on the shortlist of glass boats,
probably with a 200-225 4stroke.
a concern is any glass boat without glass stringers,
i understand the sealing of timber/ply stringers is the important bit,
how good are the modern h/hunters underfloor??
does anyone on here have one of these
if so what are your thoughts on them good and bad
cheers brian

You wont have heard of any incidentals as a result of timber stringers being used because there has never been one under the current ownership. You would struggle to find any manufacturer who shows as much pride in their products or who spends as much time in QC.

julian1
08-10-2009, 12:08 PM
i can understand where the original questions comes from and i too think along those lines. HH have have a compromise that they believe offer structual integrity and manufacturing costs. to my knowledge there has not been any major issues with the current build process ans some say timber offers better shock absortion in hull ::) , however it has probably not been around long enough to tell in the current models. How will this process fair after 15 years ?? time will tell. Personally i would prefer a boat built without timber underfloor as per most survey requirements.

maybe you have to ask yourself how does a 15-20 old HH hold up these days ? most would have had new floors and stringers by now.

the 650 Classic is a very good boat, better than the 680 if you ask me for ride and stability.

Pazz01
08-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Julian,

Most 15-20 year old HH have had floors and stringers and transoms done by now. Ours is 20 and had the floor and transom done about 12 years ago. Stringers are fine.

From what I understand, the older HH have floor problems because moisture builds up under the floor if there is any excess water that does not drain out for some reason or another. The guy that did my floor said to put a few of these on the floor http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=156&item=66340&intAbsolutePage=1

He reckons that the floor will last forever then. So it's been 12 year and its still going strong.

Pazz