PDA

View Full Version : Boat Latch- Launch And Retrive

littlemac
02-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi guys,

i am thinking of buying one of those boat latch launch and retrive devices that are bolted to the winch post and tow eye in the boat.
has anyone got one or used one and what are they like to fit.

cheers

brett

Vitamin Sea
02-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Brett

I've had one fitted to the Haines for about 18mths now, they work very well, makes launch/retrieve a simple 1 man operation, also takes a lot of risk out of the operation. ( Have had mates and wife get smashed on the hand, wrist from the winch handle whilst launching:o )

Easy to install, all I can suggest is check out the length existing "D" shackle bolts on your boat and make sure the ones on the latch are as long, I had to chop into the boat to get the nuts on mine.

Cheers

Bill

littlemac
02-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks Bill,

i have seen the website and they look the goods. they send you a couple of "D" shackles with the kit??

cheers

brett

John Buoy
02-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi guys,

i am thinking of buying one of those boat latch launch and retrive devices that are bolted to the winch post and tow eye in the boat.
has anyone got one or used one and what are they like to fit.

cheers

brett

Custom made but works a treat and does the same thing.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/729/boatlatch.jpg (http://img143.imageshack.us/i/boatlatch.jpg/)

With a little slack in the rope and fitted prior to launch i fit it
and if the boat moves back and tightens on the rope
i just sinply motor forward to remove the ring and rope.
It saves me getting in and out on solo launches and quite easy to install
and use.
When loading the boat onto the trailer i just simply lean over the side
and place the ring over my hook (which a custom galvanised U bolt cut down)
and boat will only slide back a tad.
Jump out and do up the winch and safety ;)

Regards Frank

littlemac
02-10-2009, 02:24 PM
thanks frank,

looks lik it does the trick

cheers

brett

hakuna
02-10-2009, 07:32 PM
I am buying one for my boat, watched an old bloke (pensioner)at Forster on holidays launching/ retreaving a 7m Joshua boat, no effort at all by him. Backe down , drove foward few inches, it unlocked and he drove straight off, same coming back on, bumped the front roller , clicked on and he just walked over the front and drove off.
Thought it was a great idea

cheers

sleepygreg
02-10-2009, 09:08 PM
My next boat will have one fitted. I think they are a top idea, as a lot of my fishing will either be done solo or with someone who is not adept at assisting in launch/retieval.

Greg

littlemac
02-10-2009, 09:21 PM
they make it look easy.
the more i think of it the i want one

cheers

brett

joe 09
02-10-2009, 09:37 PM
i have one on my Yalta 555 and it is real easy to use.

soulfish
03-10-2009, 05:22 AM
I have one they work a treat , L & R boat latch

cheers

lethal098
03-10-2009, 09:12 AM
brett, are you planning on fishing solo???? would have thought you would have plenty of mates to take hint hint, when we gonna get her wet. cheers Lee

littlemac
03-10-2009, 09:01 PM
brett, are you planning on fishing solo???? would have thought you would have plenty of mates to take hint hint, when we gonna get her wet. cheers Lee

hey lee,

i want to get it for when i move down to the bay so it is a bit easier for the wife, she is still learning. i spoke to tim today he is out next weekend, so we might try and do something the one after that. ps i bought myself one of those r-jayz berly bombs, they work at treat.
i used it up the cowan ledge the 2 weks ago ago and we got a good feed of cod the biggest going 65cm and the smallest was about 50.

cheers

brett

trueblue
03-10-2009, 09:56 PM
I thought about one for my trailer, but my boat doesn't always come on perfectly straight enough to latch - ie, would miss by an inch or so.

I solved the problem for myself by splicing up a piece of rope that is exactly the right length with an eye each end...........

One end is looped over the front bollard cleat, other end is sitting there ready to use.

I drive the boat on, leave it in gear, and then go up the front and with a practiced flick, the rope goes around the back of my winch post, I catch the other end, and hook it onto the bollard cleat.

out of gear, boat slides back 6", and climb off and winch it on fully and away I go.

Same theory as the photo above with the rope from behind, I just go over the winch post.

littlemac
03-10-2009, 10:11 PM
thanks true blue,

it its sound to easy that way, i think i might be lazy or cant get the ropes right, i think i am still keen on hitting the post and knowing it locks in by its self.

cheers

brett

trueblue
03-10-2009, 10:19 PM
if you go with the locking latch, just make sure your trailer rollers allow the bow to land in exactly the right position every time - ie, dead in line with the latch.

I would have had to put a couple of extra rollers on my trailer to achieve that, and for a couple of unrelated reasons didn't want to put more rollers or guides on.

littlemac
03-10-2009, 10:25 PM
thanks true blue,

that is my only concern, i have HH 600r Breeze on a dunbier trailer and i am not 100% happy with the way it sits at the on the trailer or comes on at the winch post. i have adjusted a couple of rollers but i think i need to do it with the boat off it. i suppose it is a reason to put the boat in the water

cheers

brett

lethal098
04-10-2009, 01:45 PM
brett, yeah no worries, i am away at the indy/gp on the weekend of the 25th but other than that am keen to get out again, we got some great kings and ajs at a place i have near hutchies in 35 metres of water, oat is alost there, every thing is bent up just need to weld and paint then install and we will be done. cheers Lee

littlemac
04-10-2009, 07:02 PM
soungs great lee,

cant wait to see the boat

cheers

brett

Marky Mark
04-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi Brett, I've bought but not yet fitted a boat catch, this device has v shaped stainless jaws and a thick retractable pin which does the catching. Unlike the latch style the boat doesn't have to be in a dead straight line for it to catch. Hope to fit it during the next two weeks or so and will let you know how it goes. Its for a 5.3m plate CC, about 1.25 tonne BMT.