PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year and place to target Tuna Species In Brisbane

JRJR
02-10-2009, 12:10 PM
I'd like to know the best time of year and where and how to target tuna species around Brisbane.

I heard you can catch longtail in Morton Bay. What about bluefin etc?

What is the best time of year and what part of the bay please?

I know they are probably not the best eating but I am mainly targeting them for the sport as I'm sure they go hard and I intend fishing from a Kayak of which I have an electric motor attached and have a range of 12km return. (6k out and 6k back)
Before I attract too much flak, I carry VHF marine radio, flare, mirror, life vest and a reasonable amount of experience fishing offshore (just not experienced in catching a lot-more qulaity than quantity)

I heard you can get tuna on trolled minnow lures, live bait,and tossing metal slugs at them but my info is purely word of mouth and theoretical.

Cathing a nice big longtail or similar would be a dream.

Any help would be welcome.

jack_attack
02-10-2009, 02:30 PM
A longtail is a Northern blue fin tuna. Fishing from a kayak I would suggest leaving from Bribie around 8th ave (surf side) and heading north until you find them. Best time is winter with the westerly winds. The Mackerel tuna are the mainstay but there is good lontails at times.

Smithy
02-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Feb-May would be the best times. You can find jelly bean mack tuna nearly all year round. The front of Bribie would be the best bet or further afield from Caloundra to Noosa. Inskip Pt would also be a good option for a yak in say May.

bigjimg
02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Like has been said.You might want to pack a parachute into your kit,a 20kg longtail hookup and you had better pray he heads south.He he he.Jim

JRJR
05-10-2009, 06:27 AM
A friend of mine caught this on his Yak:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=136593

Horse
05-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Another option is to head out of Cleveland or Manly. LTs work the Paddock area to the north and west of Peel Island and up past Harries. Possibly its a bit more protected than the Northern Bay

finding_time
05-10-2009, 08:52 AM
I think i would try the area out the front of Bribe Is , there in that area all year but late summer is when they really fire. Smithy is also spot on about Inskip point at rainbow beach also in the passage between tincan bay and inskip point is a well known hang out and is very protected!

Ian

webby
05-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Try the current lines from Harries north to the fours, and the pearl channel current lines.
Frigates, Bonito and Mack tuna like to bail up bait around sandbanks off the current lines.
Drifting the current lines or slow trolling pillies or live baits (yakka) is one of the better options in trying to find one.
Quite often if anchor near a shipping channel beacon, and floating a livie out will also get one interested, especially if there's live bait hanging around the beacon, if not your a chance of getting a doggie.
Also be prepared to up anchor and chase, as they can strip a fair old wack of line off in a very short time.
Otherwise it tear around the bay till you find them, and there usually not in big pods either.
Once the water temp improves they'll start showing up more consistently.
regards