PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Injuries

Good_as_Gold
02-10-2009, 09:49 AM
G-day

Who has some good pics of their fishing injuries?

1st one got snapper spike bronken of in knuckle then bad bone infection requireing surjury.

2nd bare feet and fileting knifes dont mix the photo was taken 2days after, it would not stop bleeding, Notice a piece is missing it stuck to side of boat.

Vitamin Sea
02-10-2009, 10:16 AM
ouch x 2

Cheers

VS

Noelm
02-10-2009, 10:49 AM
probably the worst thing I have had happen (besides all the hooks and cuts and stuff) was once I was sort half kneeling on a bow rail to get ready to jump off onto the jetty, I somehow slipped and the rail went between my big toe and the next one and split it all the way to the bones on the top of my foot, eeyouch did that look bad, and hurt like buggery a day or so later. Never did like bowrails that are just the wrong height ever since.

nidrac
02-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Haven't got any pictures but my worse would probably be stepping on a stone fish, got me 3 times on the ball of my foot, got infected, leg swelled up to just above my knee, spent 4 days in hospital and on anti-biotics for another 3 weeks. Could have had another very bad one when my old man was trying to cut the throat on a 70+cm trout when it kicked the knife out of his hand at me, missed my thigh by about 5cm and hit point first into the tinny hard enough to put a decent dint.. could have ended very badly..

Nidrac..

Swindells
02-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Sick... as... a dog, gonna vooomit... ouch. that looks painful.

Stingray spine to the foot *wince*

filleting knife to the hands

Fish spines to the... most places.

Pinched by a crab.

Yabby claw under the fingernail. yeow!!

Hit a sand bar at night, and found myself laying on it with various ouchies.

Mangrove jack bite to the finger, drew lots of blood and i swear he enjoyed it, i let him go for his valiant effort.

ThePinkPanther
02-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Hmmmmmm, lemme think! No pics but:

1. Stingray barb through left shin .......... aaaggggggghhhhhhhhhh
2. Hit by a catfish eel ............................. eeeeeeeeeeecccccchhhhh
3. Hit by a scorpion (lion) fish ................... ooooooooooowwwwwww
4. Hit by a Happy Moment ........................ haaggwwwwwwwwwyyy
5. Bit on left calf by 4 kg tailor .................. yyyyyaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

............... but good news. never in over fifty five years of constant fishing been cut by a knife or had an imbedded hook!

Swindells
02-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Hmmmmmm, lemme think! No pics but:

1. Stingray barb through left shin .......... aaaggggggghhhhhhhhhh
2. Hit by a catfish eel ............................. eeeeeeeeeeecccccchhhhh
3. Hit by a scorpion (lion) fish ................... Ooooooooooowwwwwww
4. Hit by a Happy Moment ........................ haaggwwwwwwwwwyyy
5. Bit on left calf by 4 kg tailor .................. yyyyyaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Catfish eel, scorpion fish AND a happy moment, all toxic or poisenous... that's an effort. a painful effort. ever been hit by a snake, spider, scorpion or centipede??

I got hit by a centipede on the foot, though it was going to explode, hurt like hell.

Bitten by a st andrews cross spider on the ear, but i don't like to think about that too much.

PinHead
02-10-2009, 03:16 PM
only my pride cos i cannot catch a legal snapper.

lusco
02-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I had the same injury as Pinhead.And it hurts like hell.

Ricardo
02-10-2009, 05:51 PM
I have had a hook in my left butt cheek courtesy of some clown who casts without looking ::)
Tried to kick a cat fish of a jetty only to get spiked in the side of my foot through my shoe (that one hurt for hours)
A few cuts here and there from knives & fish spines, nothing requiring stitches though.

justjack
02-10-2009, 11:26 PM
not a fish but a mud crab breaking 3 fingers and ripping my tendons out of the top of my right hand, only have 20% feeling in that hand now, and a 4ft whaler shark bitting onto my calf after trying to free him from a net washed up on the beech

Chamelion
02-10-2009, 11:29 PM
only my pride cos i cannot catch a legal snapper.

You need to take that big lovely boat of yours out onto some reef :)

b j p
05-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Stingray barb in the quad and my quad spasmed, hurt like buggery.

Most painful things I've seen was when I was while I was working at Urangan Anglers Den in Hervey Bay. After the morning rush the boss would send me out to the end of the jetty with some spare bait supplied and some terminal tackle in case people were running short. As anyone knows who has fished on a busy jetty, you have to have your wits about you. Lots of people each fishing with way too many rods and generally way over the top for the type of fishing they are doing. I seen a guy wind up to cast on one side and hook his mate in the back of the neck on the otherside and snap the line because the hook wasn't coming out of his neck quickly. I also cried for him!

Another story started a fight out on the jetty. A guy had a hook in his hand between his thumb and next finger (in the web) another guy came up and said he knew he to get it out, which was by tieing fishing line around the gape and pulling sharply. The guy agreed and did this, as he pulled the line the hook snapped in two, the guy turned pale white. His mate started pushing the other guy.... eventually an ambo was called.

Crazy stuff!

wind rider
05-10-2009, 09:10 PM
seen a mate steep on a gaf. point up thru the middle of his foot. forgot to put it back in the gunnel out of hte way.

ROBENDOG
05-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Baiting crab pot clip and pushed it though middle of my palm all the way through my hand. Ouch! Insult too injury......no crabs!!!!

BayDog
06-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Treble in R ankle
Treble in L hand (in the palm) requiring surgery to remove.
Crushed finger from mud crab (nerve damage that took 3 months to heal)
Split cheek from when the line snapped while fighting a pike eel and the rod came back and hit me in the face.
Lots of prawn spikes basically everywhere that take weeks to come out.
As an oyster nut you can imagine the cuts! Worst one almost took off my little toe and required several stitches.

And lastly my dad tried to feed a pelican and if you've ever seen the yellow coloured hook on a pelicans beak....you can imagine what that does to a human hand!

samsnap
08-10-2009, 03:23 PM
'And lastly my dad tried to feed a pelican and if you've ever seen the yellow coloured hook on a pelicans beak....you can imagine what that does to a human hand!"
Hee Hee imagine how the poor fella was that fronted up after "Mr percival" tried to grab the wrong bit of bait & ended up with "Mr Personal" - We couldn't stop laughing at the poor B@@$tard for hours!!! - He needed surgery.
Or the sheepish Dad who had managed to completely lodge all 3 gangs of a lure into the back of his 10yo sons head - after swearing to his wife that nothing could go wrong fishing off a jetty!
Sammy xx

Peter4
08-10-2009, 03:52 PM
October 2007 - got a 'green' barra to the boat at Monduran. He flipped as I was taking the lure out of his gob and I ended up with a treble hook through my thumb.

Had a few painful minutes as the fish continued to jump before the treble was snipped. See pic...

Spent Saturday night in Bundy Hospital.

Remainder of hook removed from thumb after 11 (yes 11!) needles!!:'(

Damned67
08-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm really starting to consider starting to crush the barbs on my trebles.....

jtpython
09-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Treble off a Xrap into my leg with 40 cm spano attached don't ask me but managed all 3 pionts at on stage in my thigh. Managed to end up with not able to pull one out it had to be cut out.
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/16052009009.jpg
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo159/jtpython/16052009008.jpg

Ricardo
09-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I am sitting here having a few quiet beers, after looking at that last photo I might go and give the rum a nudge :o
jtpython that hook was bloody embedded mate :(

jtpython
09-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Was bloody painful let me tell ya

Good_as_Gold
09-10-2009, 10:11 PM
After all of these injuries I reckon a few rumbo's have been downed. Bring on the Pic's

ifish86
19-10-2009, 07:05 PM
fishing over at fraser had a bream jump out of my hands and spike me in the wrist took me a month or so to relise there was a bit stuck in and had to go to the doc's to get it cut out. more of a mad story than a injury

Adam_G
02-11-2009, 08:03 AM
I did this helping a woman untangle a rope she had wraped around her prop off point lookout. The edge of those stainless props is sharp and no the motor was not running. Took the photo in the hospital just before getting stiched up.

Makes you realise how bad it would be if you really hurt yourself at sea, it's a long way back to land when there is a bar to go through.

Bear001
03-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Luckily havent got the trebles RIGHT through yet, but Im sure the day will come.
Especially those owners....ouch.

Too many to list, but the most common for me is serious bruisin(yeah soft I know). :-[

Here's a photo of my broken left hand & guts after last trip to Satellite Reef up near Cairns.

Came crashing down off the top of a rogue wave on the way out & knees went out from under me - fell around the centre console whilst still hanging on and broke the top 3 bones in my hand.

But didnt stop me fishing for the next 3 days...hence the stomach bruisin.....;D

Cindy

funkngroovy
04-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Not me but a mate,,,,, fishing the four beacons, he launched a big bait on the 'sleeper rod' at the south east marker. It hooked on some cunji.
As he pulled at the 80lb mono to snap the line, the leader broke sending the big round lead back to his knee at high speed.

We didn't know what happened, we were just pissing ourselves laughing at our big mate screeming in pain on the floor of the 6m tinnie.

We became sightly more sympathetic when we realised what had happened.

Went on to catch a 24kg tuna later that day on an old alvey that was buggered, so it was well worth it

Geoff-
04-11-2009, 05:55 PM
I am sitting here having a few quiet beers, after looking at that last photo I might go and give the rum a nudge :o
jtpython that hook was bloody embedded mate :(

Jesus I'm glad I poured myself a triple before seeing that, and it still brought a tear to the eye. I reckon if I'd just blundered in here sober I would have spewed, how do you get all 3 hooks embedded that deserves a medal!! :o

blueline
04-11-2009, 07:28 PM
this is not me, i put this up as a thread and it disappeared and no one will tell me were it went as its not even in my user pc as being sent, so here it is
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/hitcho1/th_fish.jpg (http://s611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/hitcho1/?action=view&current=fish.flv)

samsnap
05-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Cindy - you just crack me up mate - Hard Core or what!! Most fellas would wimp out - GO THE GALS!!!
I Broke my Coccyx (ass bone for those not in the know!) Hit a wave, flew back only to land on the corner of the glass esky right in the middle of the Butt Crack - and a 2hr wave smashing trip back - could not sit down for ages - it still hurts today years later if I sit wrong.
Sammy xx

Noelm
05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
just on the trebles in the hand thing, my mate and I were jigging Kingfish one day, they were coming in quick, he got a smallish one and it was sort of dangling off his rod, so he grabbed the line and started to let the line slip between his hands so he could get to the fish to get it off, but the hooks pulled out, and the treble was propelled at great speed (by the weight on the rod tip) straight into the the bit between his thumb and pointer finger, all three points of the 6/0 trebles right to the hilt, Jesus did he squeal and yell, we had to go to Hospital to get it out.

snapperbasher
06-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Well heres my best 2 injuries. 1st one lost the top off 2 fingers hooking the boat trailer up and 2nd one a treble hook stuck in my hand with a fiesty mack still attached to the lure::)

Cheers lochie

rabbi
06-11-2009, 10:13 AM
G'day,
Geez you blokes knock yourselves around trying to have fun!!!
I have had a few but one that comes to mind is a coupla years back I was fishing with a m8 on the wall and I hooked a large jew.
Sea was ruff and my m8 gaffed the jew easily but a wave hit it and jammed the gaff between some rocks. I went down into the wave zone and dislodged the gaff and as Stan was pulling it up another wave hit me and the fish, and somehow the wave washed the fish behind me as I got washed backwards onto the fish which had the point of the gaff protruding and ended up with about 60mm of 6mm thick gaff embedded in my left butt cheek bout 50cm left of centre!!:o.
At this point I heard one of the spectators on the wall say "bullseye"!
My mate at this stage was holding over 100kg on the gaff and told me to get off in no uncertain terms.
I keep offering to show people the scar but no takers so far.
Cheers.

FNQCairns
06-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Well heres my best 2 injuries. 1st one lost the top off 2 fingers hooking the boat trailer up and 2nd one a treble hook stuck in my hand with a fiesty mack still attached to the lure::)

Cheers lochie

Mate can you elaborate? Need to file away for future reference what I should never do when hitching up:o.

Was it a crush or a chop? bloody hurt that's for sure!!!!

cheers fnq

snapperbasher
06-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey fnq,
It was a clean cut::) long story short I was hooking the boat up to the back of the car and it was on a bit of a slope and it ran away from me and slammed into the back of the ute. I had hold of the coupling handle and didnt get my fingers out of the way quick enough and the top of the coupling was level with the underside of the ute tray and it sheared them off like a guillotine:'( one finger tip landed on the tongue and the other one on the ground. Both of them are gone at the knuckle.

Cheers Lochie

Noelm
06-11-2009, 01:07 PM
only one thing to say to that, eeeyyyeeewwwouch!!

Geoff-
06-11-2009, 01:14 PM
G'day,
I have had a few but one that comes to mind is a coupla years back I was fishing with a m8 on the wall and I hooked a large jew.
Sea was ruff and my m8 gaffed the jew easily but a wave hit it and jammed the gaff between some rocks. I went down into the wave zone and dislodged the gaff and as Stan was pulling it up another wave hit me and the fish, and somehow the wave washed the fish behind me as I got washed backwards onto the fish which had the point of the gaff protruding and ended up with about 60mm of 6mm thick gaff embedded in my left butt cheek bout 50cm left of centre!!:o.
My mate at this stage was holding over 100kg on the gaff and told me to get off in no uncertain terms.
Cheers.

50cm left of centre? you have a huge arse!! ;D

call of the day from the spectator, bet you were glad it wasn't really a bullseye!

Bear001
06-11-2009, 02:34 PM

Cheers lochie

Lochie.......YOU WIN!:o

Axl
07-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Dont have any pics but I had a hook inbeaded as far as it would go under my thumb nail one day fishing of the rocks at Amity.
Once I got it out and got over the pain the next fish I caught was a happy moment.
Still today I am not to sure how as I was being extremly careful having heard some horrble stories about there sting it managed to get me on the same thumb.
Ouuuuch
Needless to say that finished my fishing for the day and I resorted to drinking.

tailorboi99
07-11-2009, 09:39 PM
The worst Fishing injury I've had is a deeply cut toe whilst wading on Sunshine Beach, culprit was a large Crab of some sort (Couldn't identify at the time).

Cheers Tom

3rd degree
08-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Had a hook in the hand a couple of times, and watched it happen to a few other too.

One mate left a big hardbody up the front of the boat, and shortly after when we dropped an anchor the treble got stuck in the rope and as he was feeding the rope through his hand, another treble embedded itself in the side of his hand and the weight of the anchor on the end drove it in hard! We chopped it of at the skin and to his credit we stayed out another 6 hours before heading in and running him to the doctor.

Cheers

Jim

rabbi
08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Hehehehe. 50cm left of centre!!! what was I thinking?. I meant 50mm.
Wish I did have an arse that big, it woulda given me sum padding wen I got washed of the rocks recently:confused:

deepfried
08-11-2009, 03:17 PM
No serious injuries for me, well other than having my pride dented not landing anything at times. Some of those mentioned here though are harsh.

Cheers lochie

You still got out for a fish didnt you the day after you shortened them or do i have you mixed up with someone else. Thats nuts if it was you :o .

G'day,
Cheers.

Ouch . Is that the bent gaff you still use. Could make a joke about stinky jews and your butt but wont ;D . All i can say is that cant have been the gaff stonecold picked up that day because it missed.

snapperbasher
08-11-2009, 06:53 PM
yeah deepfried I was back on the water the next day. Takes more than a couple of short fingers to keep me off the water;D .

rabbi
09-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Hi Deepfried,
Yeah thats the one mate.
Probly why the seagulls keep following me and I can catch beachworms a bit easier now ;D
The story I heard was that you paid Stonecold $20 to miss. Hehehehehe :)>

M8, got hit by a wave in the dark on the wall bout 6 weeks back and did a superman dive into the rocks.
Made the mistake of turning my back to the ocean for 10 seconds!! Wont be doin that again!
Nothing worse than freefalling in the dark knowing theres a barnacle covered rock waiting for you at the bottom.
Walked out with a bad limp, bruised hip and ribs and knocked the end off one of my fingers (and spread a bit of claret around) and broke my new reel :(
Stan and another bloke there seemed to get to me way too quickly when I crashed. I still reckon I was pushed;D

deepfried
09-11-2009, 04:45 PM
yeah deepfried I was back on the water the next day. Takes more than a couple of short fingers to keep me off the water;D .

Now thats commitment to your sport. I would like to see the NSW origin players show that heart.

Hi Deepfried,
Yeah thats the one mate.
Probly why the seagulls keep following me and I can catch beachworms a bit easier now ;D
The story I heard was that you paid Stonecold $20 to miss. Hehehehehe :)>

M8, got hit by a wave in the dark on the wall bout 6 weeks back and did a superman dive into the rocks.
Made the mistake of turning my back to the ocean for 10 seconds!! Wont be doin that again!
Nothing worse than freefalling in the dark knowing theres a barnacle covered rock waiting for you at the bottom.
Walked out with a bad limp, bruised hip and ribs and knocked the end off one of my fingers (and spread a bit of claret around) and broke my new reel :(
Stan and another bloke there seemed to get to me way too quickly when I crashed. I still reckon I was pushed;D

That $20 was cheap when it saved my hurt pride ;) . When i heard about that fall i think i felt it as well, knowing the area you went down. Not nice at all. Hope your all healed. BTW i didnt pay Stan $20 for it so dont blame me.

scott

stonecold
09-11-2009, 05:19 PM
That reminds me I should review my life insurance policy

Steve B
09-11-2009, 08:41 PM
October 2007 - got a 'green' barra to the boat at Monduran. He flipped as I was taking the lure out of his gob and I ended up with a treble hook through my thumb.

Had a few painful minutes as the fish continued to jump before the treble was snipped. See pic...

Spent Saturday night in Bundy Hospital.

Remainder of hook removed from thumb after 11 (yes 11!) needles!!:'(

Ha ha, remember that day well Pete when you turned up at the houseboat in that storm!!!!....you did well to keep fishing!!!

Heres a pic of what I did to my mate at Faust ABT comp last year!!!

Cheers Steve

rabbi
10-11-2009, 10:29 AM
$20!! Now thats good value for money.
I'd probly insure that kayak and that yella piece of plastic you have been throwing around too S.C.

Peter4
10-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Ha ha, remember that day well Pete when you turned up at the houseboat in that storm!!!!....you did well to keep fishing!!!

Cheers Steve

lol - is he still your mate??;D

Pete62
10-11-2009, 11:56 AM

Cheers Steve

Note to self, wear full face helmet when fishing in the Frenzy8-)

Pete.

fbawlgf
10-11-2009, 05:31 PM
not as bad as some of these but we p@ssed our selfs laughing.couple of mates and i went mud crabbing once with good results.beno was holding the biggest one up for a photo and start mucking around and the crab grabed his nipple.after some screaming he let go of the other claw and old crabbie grabed his thumb (and dame near broke it off) of his other hand.when we stopped laughing we felt bad for a little while

Keechie
10-11-2009, 08:06 PM
wow some shockers here mine is no where near as worse. have had the usual hooks in hands and legs and the eyebrow.. thanks sis. By far the most dangerous was cast netting in jacksons creek. casting into the back eddies of the pylons i threw the cast net not realising the rope was around my ankle and as i threw the net forward it got stuck on the side of the boat. This then proppelled me out of the boat to smash my head on the side of the boat to be trapped under the net under the hull and hit my head coming out again haha. Only resulted in concussion so can't complain.

nic

PNG1M
14-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Got bit by a snake just above the ankle on Fraser Island back in the 90's while collecting wood for our camp fire.

We were Nth of the Champagne Pools and it was approaching high tide, it was just on dark and my lady friend at the time couldn't drive a manual. So we were stuck..!!

Luckily for me the snake only got one fang in properly. The other just scratched the skin. My whole leg ached from toe to hip and I had a night of hallucinating dreams.

Wasn't dead by morning so thought I'd survive. Stayed there for three more days limping around with a leg that felt like it'd been corked by Mal Meninga.

Got back to the mainland to a doctor and he freaked out. He made an incision and removed a blood clot that'd formed under the bite area and he said I should count his my blessings that the snake only got one fang in.

The girlfriend might've woken up next to a stiffy..!!?? What the..?

PNG1M
14-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Once at Suki, PNG a club member allowed one of our local guides to have a go of his baitcaster. He got the hang of it and hooked a big black bass.

The bass dived down and got caught up in a snag. The local guide was all excited and wanted the fish. Since the water wasn't all that deep he decided to dive down & try to dislodge the fish.

He went under and eventually came up a minute later with his hand streaming with blood and one of his fingers ripped open.

He had found the fish and when he tried to handle it, it flipped and a treble from the lure imbedded into his finger (yes, while he was underwater tangling with a black bass). The lure was still in the basses mouth!!

The guy had no choice but to 'put the big ones in' and tear himself free or he might've drowned. He ended up with quite a severe injury to his finger.

Lucky one of our fishing club blokes was an ex-military med and he had a professionally stocked first aid kit. Back at the guest house he patched up the guides finger after jokingly picking up a machete! You should've seen the whites of the guide's eyes when the machete was raised above his finger. (We're such jolly jokers)...

Anyway, on subsequent visits we checked on the guy. Eventually he got full movement back to his finger. The fishing club made a rule that only members are allowed to use the gear - definately not the locals...in case of accidents.

BREEZE470
25-11-2009, 06:56 PM
O M G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just speechless ... OUCHY