PDA

View Full Version : bass boat crash

ashh
01-10-2009, 10:13 PM
old but sends chills down your spine watching the slow mo playback about 2 mins into vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI&feature=quicklist

Pommy Matt
01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
unconscious in the water for 10 minutes? So what was the cameraman doing?

Ricardo
01-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Wow that dude is very lucky to be alive :o

Jabba_
02-10-2009, 05:42 AM
unconscious in the water for 10 minutes? So what was the cameraman doing?

If someone is involved in an boat accident such as this, and there wearing a PFD1, then the safety precaution is to leave them in the water (if it is safe to do so) until they regain consciousness... This is so you can then speak with the victim and figure out if there are any neck and or spinal injuries..

If in such a case there was a spinal injury, and you drag the victim into the boat unconscious, you most likely going to make the injury much worse,, it is better to leave them in the water until paramedics arrive...

Far side
02-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Just stupid is what it is
Another example of darwinism in action driving that type of boat at speed across the wake.
Funny he had a pretty standard cranium size pity there were no brains to fill it

swabio
02-10-2009, 06:51 AM
I find it mildly amusing that their message after all that is to just wear your PFD & kill switch lanyard...

How about drive your bloody boat responsibly in the first place..... and not be a walking anus for a camera......jmho

stevej
02-10-2009, 07:39 AM
no worse then many other water users along the nepean river here in sydney

were just lucky or unlucky the river isnt wide enough for them to get the angles they need to jump like that

picture this rivers 150m wide 4 boats a breast of each skiing up the river and little old me heading down stream hugging the right getting abused that i should pull over

bluefin59
02-10-2009, 08:29 AM
The only message i see people should be taking from this is dont drive a dick especially with a fully trimmed out motor ,what a tool ...matt

Zooter
02-10-2009, 08:34 AM
What a tosser!!

Needed to say something like "IF GREG WASNT DRIVING THE BOAT LIKE A TOOL HE WOULDN'T OF ENDED UP IN THIS POSITION'

Must of been watching race boats on foxsports before he went out!!

Fine if he wants to kill himself, But what if there was a tinny with a family onboard coming the other way. Hopefully that twit will never get back behind the wheel again.

Pommy Matt
02-10-2009, 01:21 PM
If someone is involved in an boat accident such as this, and there wearing a PFD1, then the safety precaution is to leave them in the water (if it is safe to do so) until they regain consciousness... This is so you can then speak with the victim and figure out if there are any neck and or spinal injuries..

If in such a case there was a spinal injury, and you drag the victim into the boat unconscious, you most likely going to make the injury much worse,, it is better to leave them in the water until paramedics arrive...

That could be important info - what is the correct procedure in this event? Leave them, assuming they are floating the right way, until help arrives? What about checking vital signs, CPR etc? What if its rough and they are bouncing around - wouldn't they be better on a boat? If you have no choice, what is the best way to get someone in the boat with the least risk of causing more damage?

Swindells
02-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Vote #2 for the darwin awards. Big outboard, little brain.

Jabba_
02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
That could be important info - what is the correct procedure in this event? Leave them, assuming they are floating the right way, until help arrives? What about checking vital signs, CPR etc? What if its rough and they are bouncing around - wouldn't they be better on a boat? If you have no choice, what is the best way to get someone in the boat with the least risk of causing more damage?

Always check for vital signs, that is #1.... and yes off coarse CPR if the victim is not breathing and heart has stopped... ((In that case you will have to pull them onto the boat or land if your close enough to shore....))
But even if the water is choppy, the victim is better for them to float in the water then being lifted and dragged into a boat without the aid off a stretcher...
In water your body is near weightless, and getting dragged over the edge off the boat gravity is going to put enormous amount off strain on the spine..

You should also have a person in the water with the victim, and if possible wade the victim to calmer and safer water...

I am no pro, but I have done my Bronze medallion and St Johns first aid courses to have some understanding in what to do in a situation like the one above..

team_mongo
02-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Jabba,

I am very concerned about your statements.

The quickest way to die at the scene of an accident is loss of airway - in the water and on land. Unconscious patients cannot be assumed to have a patent airway.

The general approach to a unconscious person is

DRABC
Danger
Response
Airway ( with cervical spine control)
Breathing
Circulation

The Australian resuscitation council state "Note: THE AIRWAY TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER ANY FRACTURE (including a possible broken neck)"

See http://www.resus.org.au/policy/guidelines/section_2/2_3_nov95.pdf

George

Jabba_
02-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Well would you not check there air way is clear, as it is one off the Vital signs (Breathing)....

The airway can be cleared while the victim is in the water, a PFD1 will support the victims head while he is unconsciousness... You can also aid the support off there head also..

BILLY THE KID
02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Jabba,

I am very concerned about your statements.

The quickest way to die at the scene of an accident is loss of airway - in the water and on land. Unconscious patients cannot be assumed to have a patent airway.

The general approach to a unconscious person is

DRABC
Danger
Response
Airway ( with cervical spine control)
Breathing
Circulation

The Australian resuscitation council state "Note: THE AIRWAY TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER ANY FRACTURE (including a possible broken neck)"

See http://www.resus.org.au/policy/guidelines/section_2/2_3_nov95.pdf

George

Agreed , better to have a broken neck and breathing, than not breathing and assuming a broken neck

Jarrah Jack
02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm wondering how much of a difference it would if the motor had've been trimmed better ? Any racers out there?

Jabba_
02-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Agreed , better to have a broken neck and breathing, than not breathing and assuming a broken neck

So are you saying it is impossible to check someones vital signs while there in the water....

I tell you, if I was in a situation with a fractured neck or spine, and you dragged me into a boat without properly restraining me to a spinal board and you caused unrepairable damage to my spinal chord, I would sue your ass off...

I would rather be left to die then to end up a para/quadriplegic

BILLY THE KID
02-10-2009, 08:25 PM
So are you saying it is impossible to check someones vital signs while there in the water....

I tell you, if I was in a situation with a fractured neck or spine, and you dragged me into a boat without properly restraining me to a spinal board and you caused unrepairable damage to my spinal chord, I would sue your ass off...

I would rather be left to die then to end up a para/quadriplegic

The last comment is the stupidiest thing anyone could say

You might wish it , but what about everyone else it would affect ?

Your family , Knowing you would rather die then someone help you ?

The person that has to sit there and watch you die cause you dont wanna be injured ?

Your dead , they gotta live with it !

Sorry but if a person is unconsious and not breathing and has neck /back injuries etc . and try to sue you for resusitating them then the would have a hard call in the courts doing it .

Same thing with C.P.R , if they have a broken rib keep pushing their chest to keep the heart going and deal with the broken bone later

I have questioned the legal liability side of things due to work and have been told that if someone is unconcious and not breathing then do what you need to keep them alive .

Personally i wouldnt hesitate to help someone in a life threating situation if it meant them surviving and being in a wheelchair because of it .

In my opinion it would be piss poor taste if someone saves your life then you sue them for it , specially if it meant seeing ya kids and family again , even from a wheelchair ;)

Old mate in the video was EXTREMELY LUCKY he floated up on his back as that force could have torn his PFD off completly

Scott nthQld
02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
I agree with everything Jabba has said (except that last line, and having done his First Aid course he should know why).

You can check vitals whilst the patient is in the water, if unconscious you don't just assume they'll be right, you must continually monitor them, even if they are breathing as they can stop at any time. If and only if the patient is not breathing should they be removed from the water, thats if they are intact. If there are any serious lacerations, then they must be removed from the water to stop the bleeding, not only might they bleed to death, but you are also removing them from potential danger (ie sharks), not only that, but water inhibits the bloods ability to clot.

Anyone who has done their first aid would know that anyone administering first aid is protected from liability unless they clearly show negligence, leaving a patient in the water who is not breathing for fear of a broken neck or spine is one in this case.

For the vid, these bass boats might be deigned to run a high powered outboard, but I'll bet my car and boat that this one was over powered, something about nothing but the leg being in the water at WOT keeps telling me this....complete tool, lets just hope he learnt his lesson and doesn't tryo to pull any more stupid stunts, otherwise people might just be better off of things don't end so well next time.

Salad Fingers
02-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Umm.. that is probably some of the worst driving ive ever seen.

I don't think its necessarily a problem with this boat in particular, it's just stupid driving to cross a wake like that?
I mean the dude is in a bass boat with not a very fine entry angle, it's not like it's gonna cut through it properly it's gonna slap and lift, and slap and lift it did.
I'll bet if I slammed my stacer through a wake like that even at its slow WOT speed of ~60kmhr I would probably get rocked around a bit.. this is why you wouldn't do it..
Thats my opinion anyway.. always easy to comment on these things in hindsight. :P

Midnight
02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Gday,
First up, I just gotta say, another w@nker yank in a w@nker bass boat!

I have driven Haines hulls grossley overpowered that would have handled that wake crossing. Heap of sh!t boat driven to match!

That said, from a first aid point of view, I was trained to perform full CPR to a patient in the water, the airway is easily achieved thought the bodies natural bouyancy being hips low in the water naturally angling the head back and there is next to no pressure on any body part other than where the life vest supports the patient around the rib cage.
The neck and spine can be well looked after with the patient in the water until a spine board arrives.
Obviously, if there are 14 foot Tiger sharks circling then, get the man outa the water before he is eaten!!!

Cheers, and hang onto it!!

Myles

edit for apparently you cant call someone like the driver a w@nker! or it blocks it

team_mongo
02-10-2009, 10:18 PM
This is straying off topic, but I think is an important one.

Firstly, most people would agree that being unconscious in the water puts the victim in danger. So as a general principle, on balance, is better to move them to a less dangerous place such as a boat, the shore etc.

Second, almost all spinal injury occur at the time of the accident, ie when there is huge amounts of energy accelerating and decelerating the body. Moving victims after the accident, much less energy and movement is usually involved and thus risks involved in further damage are are usually very small. Ideally, we would not like any secondary injury, but rarely this is unavoidable to save a life. An example would be cutting of a c rushed leg.

Worsening of spinal injury is very unusual, much more is the case of delayed resuscitation. That is observing, and not intervening. The outcome from this if they survive is usually severe permanent hypoxic brain damage.

Several reasons for not intervening,
Firstly most people have some idea of resuscitation, but dont feel confident.
First responders are also worried they can hurt someone who is already injured.
Thirdly, even highly trained people are worried about getting sued if anything goes wrong. That is unfortunately the world we live in. I know of many examples of this being the major concern of highly trained first responders. This no doubt has lead to many unnecessary deaths.

Over 90% of people with high cervical spinal injuries when questioned are glad to be alive.

Resuscitation guidelines have changed in 2006. You no longer check for vitals prior to CPR. If the vicitm is unconscious, unresponsive, not breathing normally, not moving then start rescue breathing and chest compressions. This is would be very difficult to do in the water.

I cannot say what the single best thing to do is, so long as you do your best. If you are honestly concerned about spinal injuries then dont move them, Just do your best.. You'll be surprised how "easy" it is to save a life..

Have a look at http://www.resus.org.au/public/arc_basic_life_support.pdf

oldboot
02-10-2009, 11:13 PM
I have heard all sorts of CPR arguments, but most fail to consider that in the majority of cases, maintaining the airway is all that is required, ( I have friends who are professionals and practice and train this and they agree), it is most unusual and unfortunate to actualy have to huff and puff and jump on someones chest.

the PFC1 is specificaly designed to turn the unconcious patient over and hold support the head in a way that maintains the airway.

on the matter of water being a danger..........that can not be assumed......moving the patient may present a greater risk.

those of us that have had risk assessment pounded into our heads.........( for me 3 training courses in 2 weeks all had risk assessment in them)

you have to consider level of hazard and level of risk.........if it is fresh water close to shore or assistance... both the hazard and the risk are small relating to water.......the level of hazard and risk associated with moving the patient incorrectly supported are both very high.

getting someone even concious , co operative, and fit over the side of a boat, presents many risks both to the patient and the boat & crew.

In first aid now....they are realy pushing.....if the patient is breathing on their own and does not have any pressing issues ..... and they and you are not in danger........... observe, maintain the airway......and DO NOTHING till qualified help arrives........it does assume that help isnt far away.....but....

If it was very rough and there were munchies about the situation changes.

cheers