PDA

View Full Version : Standard ULP faised out mid 2011

Axl
01-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I saw on the news the other night that standard ULP will bee no longer avaliable by mid 2011 after reading some of the threads on this site saying that premieum ULP is not good for 2 strokes and E10 is out of the question for me even in my car I wonder what 2 stroke owners will do? Any thoughts?

Duckfish
02-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Hi There,
That can't be right. If all the reports on E10 are true, we are in deep pooh. I hope the oil companies find a soluton to our problems.
Duck

WalFish
02-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Yep, its true. Heard it on the radio the other morning when they were talking about the RACQ investigating the growing price gap between standard and premium unleaded.:o

Might have to run the boat on premium just to avoid the E10 and all the goodies it brings........ I don't see what all the hype is over E10. I tried it in my BA Falcon for about 3 consecutive tanks. Didn't notice any power loss but I lost about 5% range on one tank which far outweighs the cost benefits.

What will other boaties run theirs on????

Cheers
Wal

Noelm
02-10-2009, 08:26 AM
premium will be OK in a 2 stroke, but it is not necessary, so to use it now is just a waste of money, E10 is fine in almost anything that is newish and does not stand around for ages getting "old" E10 is only a drama in older motors because of problems with rubber lines and O rings and stuff like that.

Swindells
02-10-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't know how this E10 is cheaper then standard ULP, i have ethanol here at work to use in various products and it costs us over $3 p/ltr.

lee8sec
02-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Run Premium ulp, wont worry a 2 smoke, just wont benefit either. Leigh

oldboot
02-10-2009, 10:30 PM
there seem to be some small engine mechanics that "have a problem" with higher octaine fuel.

I simply can not understand why.

generaly motors are specified on " minimum octaine".

Back in the days when we had a telecommunication system that was run in the public interest.....(don't get me started)......telecom used to run every thing on either super or diesel......they never seemed to have a problem with any of their stationary motors, mowers, chainsaws or whatever.

if anybody can come up with an argument as to why, higher octaine fuel could be a problem I would be interested i the reasoning.

cheers

TimiBoy
03-10-2009, 06:23 AM
I can run E10 in the V-Rod, but I will not use Ethanol blends as a matter of principle. I avoid it in my diesels where possible, but that is getting harder...

We have a Global food shortage, but we are replacing food crops with fuel crops to satisfy political agendae re climate change and fossil fuels. The Greens are starving people, but they don't care.

Tim

lee8sec
03-10-2009, 07:12 AM
I think it goes back to the "good old days" when we had super & std(regular). The super had HIGH quantitys of LEAD and wasnt recomended for 2 smokes.
We still run 2 smoke bikes on shell leaded 100 octane race fuel but they get pulled apart for regular maintanance. Leigh

there seem to be some small engine mechanics that "have a problem" with higher octaine fuel.

Back in the days when we had a telecommunication system that was run in the public interest.....(don't get me started)......telecom used to run every thing on either super or diesel......they never seemed to have a problem with any of their stationary motors, mowers, chainsaws or whatever.

if anybody can come up with an argument as to why, higher octaine fuel could be a problem I would be interested i the reasoning.

cheers

oldboot
03-10-2009, 09:11 AM
I can run E10 in the V-Rod, but I will not use Ethanol blends as a matter of principle. I avoid it in my diesels where possible, but that is getting harder...

We have a Global food shortage, but we are replacing food crops with fuel crops to satisfy political agendae re climate change and fossil fuels. The Greens are starving people, but they don't care.

Tim
Oh don't get me started.

the state government are pushing ethanol from grain crops, most of which demand exceeds production ( barly in particular).........this will force up the price of grain fed meat, and eggs....( but the loony vegy greenies think that is great)..... they don't want to know about producing it from saw mill waste or urban green waste.....which one way or another produces " harmful green house gasses.
we have a sugar industry that is in decline........one of the most efficient things to produce alcahol from...... but the greens and dovernment support grain over sugar.

talk about producing methane from sewage or electricity from timber waste......and no one wants to know.

Oh what a crock.

cheers

Flex
03-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I have never understood why anyone would use ethanol.
It's energy yield is only 2/3 that of petrol.

so that means you need roughly 1.3l of ethanol to produce the same output as 1l of petrol.

Consider ethanol blends at 10% are only a few cents per litre cheaper than standard unleaded, if you do the maths, then on an average 50l tank of fuel you actually come out almost even if you consider the energy yields of each fuel.

Also as you would all know, ethanol is hydrophilic, aswell as slightly heavier than unleaded. which is really bad for boaties, and anyone who leaves their car sit for long periods.

tunaticer
03-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Bring on the worlds first nuclear powered outboard!!!!

Has anyone investigated gas conversions for outboards seriously yet?

Mrs Ronnie H
03-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I saw on the news the other night that standard ULP will bee no longer avaliable by mid 2011 after reading some of the threads on this site saying that premieum ULP is not good for 2 strokes and E10 is out of the question for me even in my car I wonder what 2 stroke owners will do? Any thoughts?

Hi
I started a thread not so long ago about our local servo only offering E10 at all of their pumps. :-X

After contacting Caltex, shell etc they have assured me that standard unleaded will remain available at all major petrol stations .

There response was that could you imagine the PUBLIC OUTCRY if it was completely removed from sale.

Ronnie

Roughasguts
03-10-2009, 04:55 PM

cheers

Just a thought here old Boot. I think Higher octane fuel doesn't last as long as the regular stuff so goes off quicker and does some damage to the little tackers.

But on using Pulp in outboards I have read that carbon build up is so much quicker in the combustion chamber, and valves. Probably the same for the 2 banger as the operating temps are fairly low and maybe this carbon can't burn off. I know Pulp is good for cleaning fuel lines and injectors but it's in the combustion it can go wrong.

Anyway the jury is still out for me unless I see it in me own motor I won't say for sure.

I also know E10 ain't no good for the needle and seats in me carbs they went green and became pitted from corossion.

Cheers.

PADDLES
05-10-2009, 07:56 AM
it's crazy isn't it ronnie, the only service station in town, it opens up super early because boaties are a major source of business and they then put all their fuel as E10 so boaties are reluctant to use it. i'm now going to have to r00t around with jerry cans when i used to just fill up there all the time. so i guess this is a warning to any of you guys that put your boat in at beachmere, fill up at the fuel depot at the bribie turnoff.

BaitThrower
05-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I often use PULP (V-Power) in my Yammie 30hp 2-stroke. Seems ok and no problems so far. I add a bit of fuel doctor to every tank too (whether or not that does anything beneficial who knows).

Mrs Ronnie H
06-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Hi Paddles
Crazy no-- downright stupid -- but then I wouldn't expect anything less from that bloke at that servo. Between our boat and our 4b he misses out on about 400 bucks each time we fill up. Contacted Freedom fuels but they never replied to me.

Incidentally if you ask them if that fuel is ok to use in your car of course the answer is yes but they wouldn't put it in writing for me.

About time we started a petition or something I reckon and presented it to HIM.
Even have to go to the roundabout now for lawn mower fuel.

Ronnie

Axl
06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks to all whom have comented so far.
I am upgrading at the moment :D current boat is for sale in the classifieds :D and I have the option of going to a 4 stroke on the new rig however with the hours that I do in my boats and waying up the service costs (Info obtained from previous threads) I think that I will stick to the 2 bangers now I know that P/ULP wont hurt them.

Cheers Troy

PADDLES
07-10-2009, 08:42 AM
how big is your new rig indian? if it's a reasonable size (ie. >4m) and you're buying it new, then don't get a 2s if you can afford a 4s or di2s. the resale and even maybe demand will be a whole lot less when you need to get rid of it.

Axl
07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Paddles thanks for the advice mate8-)

The new rig will be a 5m Brooker Discovery CC from Cunninghams Marine.
I was only thinking about the service costs as I will probally only do 20-40 hours a year max the 4s will need to be serviced yearly where as the 2s can go for a couple of years.
I hope not to be selling this boat for many years.