PDA

View Full Version : Scratch repair?

Chamelion
01-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Hello,

Courtesy of my children trying to help clean the boat a couple of panels on my windscreen have a lot of scratching, thanks be to the rough side of kitchen scourers.

Is it correct that I can sand the panels back with some 800 and then 1500 grit wet and dry sandpaper and then polish it up with a polish of some sort?

The windscreen is brand new and to say that I'm annoyed is an understatement... But you can hardly get angry at them for helping, can you? :-/

Up until this the boat was starting to look better than when I had bought it.

Cheers,

Matt.

svranjic
01-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Are the panels painted?

You could get the marks out with a rotary. A rotary will buff out 1500 grit marks easily so that is one option open to you - wet sand up to 1500 grit then polish

I think if you wet sand up to 2000grit you can hand polish them out? Im not sure but someone else should be able to verify this.

Do you have a dremel? they are another option as they come with polishing tips... would be a bit easier to use than a massive rotary.

If the panels are painted you need to be careful not to strip the paint back.

Hope this helps!

foxx510
01-10-2009, 06:43 PM
I'd try some 2000 grit with soapy water first as a test, and go back to the coarser grade only if you need it, then back to the 2000 grit to finish. Use the finest possible to get the job done. Then put in some hours with a proper liquid plastic screen/visor polish, these work well. I think MGuires make a decent one.