PDA

View Full Version : yalta craft wins my weapon of choice

BUCA T
01-10-2009, 05:46 PM
heys lads, would like to thank anyone that has replied to any of my post over the last few years regarding questions on several brands of boats and outboards. Ive been researching and peppering blokes with questions about their boats for years trying to choose my new rig. With alot of scrutiny and test rides i have finally ordered a yalta craft fisherman 2000 ( 555) with a 150hp four stroke yammy. Now the hardest part will be waiting for it to rock up.

cheers again for everyones input

buca t

Dantren
01-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Exiting times Buca. I bet you will be stoked with that rig. Without being nosy, what's the damage for that sort of package? PM me if you want. Dan.

MickInTheMud
01-10-2009, 07:01 PM
9 and a half weeks I waited.:'(

Picked mine up today.;D

555 with 150 4stroke.( order hydrolic steering for another grand ;) )

I supplied my own sounder and VHF which Marine Tune fitted (Lowrance and p79 tranny)

Saturday morning we hit the bay. ;D

I know they sold about 27 at the show and 6 in the week afterwards, how long do you have to wait?

Also I asked for the stereo. They didn't have any of the 200watt systems so they threw in the wizz bang 500 watt jobby.:o

Cheers Mick

Enjoy the wait.

Kdog
01-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi Buca T

Mate, you wont be disapointed. They handle the rough stuff with ease, which is good for us older blokes!!:)
They can get a little bit uneasy at rest though,but no worse than a lot of higher priced brands, but thats the compromise of having a deep V.
You should get great fuel economy out of the Yamaha four stroke.Hope you can throw some pics on when collect the new addition.

Cheers
Kerrod

BUCA T
01-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Yeah fellas, i got hydralic steering , bimini, rockets clears and all that. Im putting my own electronics in. It came to $47,500 from marine tune, so by the time i get it decked out with the rest of the gear i want and the name up the side it will probably go close to 50 . When i test drove one out of central quennsland where im based it was blowing 20knts and it rode superbly in the messy pus we get up here when its blowin. I was happy to trade a bit of stability at rest for ride quality. will definitly post some pics up of the rig when shes done

buca t

CT
03-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah fellas, i got hydralic steering , bimini, rockets clears and all that. Im putting my own electronics in. It came to $47,500 from marine tune, so by the time i get it decked out with the rest of the gear i want and the name up the side it will probably go close to 50 . When i test drove one out of central quennsland where im based it was blowing 20knts and it rode superbly in the messy pus we get up here when its blowin. I was happy to trade a bit of stability at rest for ride quality. will definitly post some pics up of the rig when shes done

buca t

Where abouts in CQ are you mate? I'll be keen to hear how it handles the local conditions.

How did you make the decision for the 150 over the 115? I struggle to make up my mind which way I want to go.

Cheers
Craig

gr hilly
03-10-2009, 12:45 PM
g,day nice choice ,way back i baught a new 19 c hainshunter with a 175 merc. my best mate had a yalta same moter, we had a ball we went every where darwin cairns all the islands on the qld coast they both were fantastic boatsif i was to buy one now and if hunter was still invlved id buy a yalta so i think your rite mate you have done your homework well done now you will enjoy good one glynn

BUCA T
03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
CT i live i tannum sands , we seem to get that washing machine close short crap especially around the harbour when its blowing and the yalta punched through it really well in 20knts. The choice of the 150hp over the 115hp was fairly simple. I figure your better off putting max or close to max hp on your boat, you can always back off the throttle. The only thing i was stalling at was the initial purchase price, but i will have this boat for a while so i mite as well get the outboard im happy with. A few lads on this site have the 115s on the 555 and are very happy with them and im sure they go well and are very economical, but i figure with the 150 i will be able to cruise at less revs so it shouldnt burn that much more fuel and then i have the grunt up my sleeve for watersports and the occasional flat water blast.

buca t

littlemac
03-10-2009, 10:41 PM
hey buca t

congrats on the boat, i think you will love it.
as long as you are on the water having a good time thats what it is all about.

cheers

brett

CT
05-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I usually fish out of Gladstone (live inland at Bilo) so I'll read your reports with interest. Stability at rest is my only concern. Agree with everything you said about the 150. I've been eyeing the second hand market though and have only seen one come up this year. It was in Brissie and the bloke down the road bought it so now I have to look at it and drool!

Cheers
Craig

AnthonyL
05-10-2009, 05:32 PM
This is the boat that I am looking at too for my next purchase. What made you decide on this one compared to others?

honda900
05-10-2009, 05:44 PM
BucaT,

Nice one, hardest part is the wait.. There was an Yalta appreciation thread a while a go, might be to worth a look to wet your appetitite. (boating forum, Search)

Regards
Honda.

BUCA T
05-10-2009, 07:20 PM
anthonyL, there were lots of reasons i finally chose the yalta. I have been researching and trying to figure out which boat around 6m would suit me best for years. I was even considering a platey. I went to the brissy boat show and went there 3 days crawling all over the boats in the range i was looking at. At the end of it the yalta was the boat i thought best suits the fishing/ boating that i will be doing. Ive been in plateys and haines around the same size and after going for a test ride in my local area in 20knts winds the yalta impressed the hell out of me. The stability at rest isnt as good as a platey but thats the trade off i willing to make in return for a soft ride instead of getting pounded all the way home from the reef when it blows up. I was also impressed with the size of the v berth in the yalta, this will make overnite trips with the mrs comfortable also.

buca t

SgBFish
05-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Buca.

Honda is right there are a number of threads on mods different owners have made. This one has most of mine. I have since added some guides to the trailer to allow me to drive it on.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=152279&highlight=yalta (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=152279&highlight=yalta)

I have had mine for 3 years and recently had it at Somerset in the fresh tubing with the kids. It looked out of place until it blew 30 knots. They are a very versatile boat. She normally lives offshore.

The only other thing I would consider adding to mine would be tabs.
They are a hull that rides better the harder you drive them.
Scott

Scalem
05-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Good choice Buca.

I've got about 35 hours on my 115 4S, and loved every minute so far. I need to start making plans for the banks and further afield, but right now having a ball playing in close off shore waters and the bay in conditions I might have pee'd my pants in the old boat, no challenge in the Yalta.

Delivery times will always go longer than they originally advise, then I think they get too busy stacking on more orders ... Just be patient.

Scott, I agree on the Tabs. The boat will list to the side where strong wind will be coming from, then rights itself for a while if you steer away from the wind.

There are one or two smaller mods I would make, and still can, but not worth mentioning unless you want to PM me.

Scalem

thelump
06-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Buca.

Honda is right there are a number of threads on mods different owners have made. This one has most of mine. I have since added some guides to the trailer to allow me to drive it on.

Hi Scott
would be very interested to know what you did with your trailer. Mine is a pain in the butt.:(

honda900
06-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Here is one of the links, Yalta owners roll call.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=138982&page=2&highlight=yalta

Scott,

cant find your trailer post either?

Regards
Honda.

Scalem
06-10-2009, 05:37 PM
For those considering this rig and trailer - do as I did by talking to other owners on AF and listen to the good advice I recieved. It cost me $700.00 for an upgrade to the Dunbier drive on, and by the sounds of it, money well spent.

Scalem

TheRealAndy
07-10-2009, 08:36 PM
The yalta 555 is probably going to be the boat I end up with. I nearly bought one of an AF member 2 year ago but was having issues getting a client to pay bills at the time so did not want to spend the cash.

Been looking at some of the 7+ metre boats lately but I am strugling to justify the cost. I think the yalta represents great value for money. Shame it does not have a bigger fuel tank. 2 years since I have started looking at a bigger boat to buy and still looking!!

BUCA T
08-10-2009, 06:14 PM
andy, i think is very hard to find the perfect boat, its a case of finding a boat that suits your fishing/boating best. A bigger tank in the yalta would be handy but most other glass boats around that size carry about the same. good luck with choosing your new rig, test drive a few before you spend your hard earned.

buca t

TheRealAndy
08-10-2009, 08:09 PM
andy, i think is very hard to find the perfect boat, its a case of finding a boat that suits your fishing/boating best. A bigger tank in the yalta would be handy but most other glass boats around that size carry about the same. good luck with choosing your new rig, test drive a few before you spend your hard earned.

buca t

I wanted to go for a ride in the yalta but the guys at marine tune said i need to sign a contract first. Maybe I should not wear the thongs and ripped fishing shirts next time! Might drop in next time I am down the coast in my suit!

Seriously though, not many dealers are keen to take you out for a test drive. Too many tire kickers I guess. How do you convince them that you are serious? I got the cash, maybe I need to show them a bank statement?

BUCA T
09-10-2009, 05:26 AM
andy,
i signed a deal with marine tune i would buy the boat if i was happy with the water test. I ended up getting hold of a bloke that owned one in central qld where i am based to go for a strap in to save me heading down the coast. You would think the lads at marine tune would have a demo boat there to take you for a strap without putting to much pressure on you to buy one. Obviously not. I would keep wearin my fishing clothes to the shop but mate, if they dont want to serve blokes dressed like fishos they shouldnt be selling boats. It mite be worth getting hold of some of the AF members with yaltas they have been very helpful with alot of questions i have had, and maybe if you swing them a carton or 2 of their favourite poison they mite be willing to take you for a strap in their pride and joys.

cheers buca t