PDA

View Full Version : Allycraft 425 Reel Mate. Anyone got one?

madman1
28-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi All,

Well the big Quinnie has finally gone to another Ausfisher who I am sure will enjoy her for many years to come.

Now, what to buy next?

The reason for the sale was because the 5.20 was way too big to beach launch and I always had to take the cheese and kisses along to get the bugger off the trailer.

I am seriously considering the 425 Allycraft Reel Mate probably with the 30hp Suzuki 2 banger. Brand new you can get them for around $7,100 plus a few extras.

They look the goods but are reasonably new to the market so I'm not too sure what to expect. Problem is that being in Mackay the dealers aren't much chop as discovered today.

A mate is sourcing one on the sunny coast but I'll have to cough a bit of dough for something I cant water test.

Does anyone have any feed beack re these boats, suzuki 30hp two strokes and lastly the Lowrance HDS 7 inch combo plotter / sounder.

Cant wait for all responses.

Cheers

Mark

geoffmck
28-09-2009, 09:01 PM
I am currently looking for a 4.2 open tinnie and the name that keeps coming up for price, quality value is Brooker. I have these prices from Cunninghams Marine.
4.10 Brooker Safari $4,350 Trailer Brooker $1,270
4.10 Brooker Fisherman boat only $3,440 & Brooker trailer $1,270
I am planning to put a 40hp Yamaha on mine but a 30hp on the Fisherman should be fine. Much deeper sides than the Quintrex/Stacer hulls. Good luck with your search. PS I have heard some good things about the Reelmate and Fismate as well so they should be fine.

gr hilly
28-09-2009, 10:04 PM
stessco 4.2 drive away 30 hp merc bamini cover ancre well side pockets front casting deck with storage welding needs the dags filing off here and there ride nice $7900 wondal rd marine here on the bay side safety gear too good luck hilly

wrxhoon
28-09-2009, 11:28 PM
I have a 425 Allycraft open runabout, I bought it new in 2000 and I use it in rivers. When I bought it she came with a 30 hp Yammie 2 st, I soon realised the donk was to small so I ditched it for a 40 Yammie 2 st ( max hp for this boat).

Never had a problem with boat or engine and she tops out at 25knts with a S/S prop.

If you fish alone a 30 hp maybe ok but I never go alone and I have a bit of gear in her too.

geoffmck
29-09-2009, 02:25 AM
Just saw the Reel Mate Ultimate on the Cunningham Marine web site. Looks like an awesome layout. Wonder what they are priced at?

DigFishing
29-09-2009, 06:12 AM
I agree mate,

Ring Ian Cunningham at Cunninghams Marine.

Outstanding service, quality, and price.

Cheers: Dave

Scott Ashe
29-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Hi mate,

I picked up my Allycraft 425 "Reel Mate, back in June and you right I don't think you could go past this hull with all the extra features that are included that come as standard.

I too have a 30hp, however I opted for a 4 stoke Yamaha (my second) as I have cerebral palsy and needed power trim and tilt, as well as electric start. I've put about 2 1/2 hours on her so far and cant speak highly enough of it.

I boat mine from Karee Marine at Rocklea, for $3000 including rego and safety gear. She sit's on a Redco sportsman Trailer with LED Lights and the winch cable from replaced with a strap. Trailer and outboard weresupplied and fitted by Wynnum Marine.

I have Nav lights, Anchor light, Garmin Colour Sounder, Marine Radio and full length cushions with press studs attached to the seats.

Cheers
Scott

BGG
29-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Madman
I've had a Suzuki 30HP pushing my Poly for the past 2 years. Starts first time every time and hasn't given a hint of bother.

supertinny
29-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Hey madman,
I got an allycraft 410 rino with a 40 merc. It cranks. The boats tuff.

funkngroovy
29-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Still waiting on mine. The Ally Craft factory is running flat out.

There are a few articles you can find including a glowing review in the back of this months QFM.

I don't think you can go wrong tho'. Good dimensions, 3mm bottom and the awesome price.

I ordered mine from Aloha Boats at Labrador. I comes with a Merc 30 a really good bimini and good oceanic trailer. I notice Karee is now offering it with wide sides.
The thing I like about them is the ability to customise them yourself. And for the drive away price, I don't mind spending another couple of grand on toys for it.

keen_angler
29-09-2009, 03:47 PM
I picked up my reel mate last month, have taken it out a few times in the bay and can say that for an open boat it is fairly dry.

I picked up a base package from Karee Marine and am slowly fitting it out myself I would would recommend Karee as they didn't try the hard sell, just supplied me with the facts.

You really cant go wrong for the price. Mine is with the 30hp merc

Homebrewpig
27-01-2010, 09:39 AM
I have had my Reelmate 4.25 for a month now. It has the Merc 30hp Electric start on it and goes well. With two guys that weigh 80kgs each and the gear it still pulls 24kts. Very happy with it.

Jabiru658
24-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Just put a deposit on a new Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 fitted with a 3 cylinder 30 horse Yamaha 2 stroke and a Bimini sitting on an 'Australian' brand skid trailer.

I agree with the earlier poster... much higher sides than the Quintrex or Stacer 4.2 metre open boats.

Coming standard with anchor well, front storage compartment and rear rails doesn't hurt ease of use either.

I've downsized from a 4.55m Polycraft with a Honda 50 because the teenager has moved out of home and fishing by myself the lighter alloy open boat is easier to launch and retrieve.

This is a picture of my Reel Mate, the cover is off the motor because I was having a closer look (pick it up next week after it's registered and the bimini is fitted).

http://g-s.smugmug.com/Boats/Ally-Craft-Reel-Mate-425/DSC0390/818063137_sQyeS-M.jpg

stevej
03-04-2010, 01:52 PM
went out today in some very ordinary conditions in botany bay
mate had bought the base version with the 2 thwarts and the front deck

lot of extras for the money
full width fuel rack battery rack behind the rear thwart
decent drained anchor well, easily get 50m rope chain and sand anchor in there
2 side pockets
front deck with hatch

needs nav light brackets on bow rails

in the slop we had today with a fair sized swell, id say 1m on a outgoing tide with a 15knot plus wind in th eother direction, it was reasonably dry only got wet side on and didn't bang at all unless we were going a little quick

comparing it to my 385 explorer the hull is not as stable but the ride was 100 times better i wouldn't have gone out in my boat in the same conditions

needs more then 30hp though i have the 3 cycl on my explorer and it scoots
mate has the same motor on this boat and with minimal gear on board and 2 lightweights it topped out at 19knts
maybe in better conditions and no wind you would d pick up a couple of knots

but your using 80% throttle to maintain 25kph

i was planning to sell my hull and buy the reel mate plus with the full floor and 2 pedistal seats and add the new trailer and 3 cyl 30hp yammy i just bought but decided not to no was 30 just isnt enough

Jabiru658
05-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Since my earlier post I've had a chance to take my Reel Mate out for a quick spin along the river. No performance figures yet as the yammy is still running 25 to 1 on the 1st tank but I didn't feel a need for more power and I was only using half throttle. This is on a flat river and not in a bay with swells or chop, a 40 might be better if that's where you primarily fish.

The boat isn't as stable as a punt/explorer style boat but I found it plenty wide enough and stable enough to stand up in and cast in the river and there was plenty of room to move around.

Lots of work to do yet, got to get a battery and figure out where to mount the fish finder and some nav lights. The front storage area works well for storing unused pfd's and the safety grab bag and bailer sit fine on top of them. Need either a seat or some cushions (probably both) I'd forgotten how hard (and how hot!) bare metal thwarts get after a while.