PDA

View Full Version : Hartley

aussie_true_blue
28-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I have a Hartley Vixen runabout and need to ask questions of a boatbuilder or someone who has had experience in dealing with some wood rot that is in the side decks.

cheers Bob

Noelm
28-09-2009, 03:45 PM
only one answer to that from a boat builder or a carpenter or whatever, cut it out and replace the timber.

aussie_true_blue
28-09-2009, 04:36 PM
The main thing I wanted to find out about is, the deck is around 10"wide around the area the rot is in and I have to cut about 3"off would it still be structually sound? or should I replace to strip I cut out??:-/

the damage is from under the cuddy cabin?? right thru to the stern both sides

Chimo
28-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Usually you replace it.

Do pay special attention to the drainage of fresh / rain water from the sites. Do not allow fresh to pond.

Cheers
Chimo

aussie_true_blue
28-09-2009, 04:50 PM
yeah thanks I know about the fresh water thing and timber boats but the damage was done a long time ago when it was left out in the weather for some time. Up until I got it a couple of months ago it had been under a house for near 20years but in really windy weather rain could blow onto the hull

Moffy
29-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Hey True Blue,

With my hartley i'm fixing up - i've cut out two pieces of the three piece chine - it is a 3 piece layered chine (i.e. i've removed 2/3 of width of the chine) - for probably 3/4 of the length of the hull - To fix this I will be sistering in 2 replacement pieces of chine - will be as good as new once done. can't see any reason why you couldn't do the same. (then you won't have the question of is it strong enough...)

funny - i'm working on mine under the same temporary car port set-up as in your photo - have to get it finished before the wet season starts but.......

Cheers,

Moffy

Swindells
29-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Generally all the rot has to be cut out and replaced, for smaller areas or harder to get to areas, you can stop the rot and reinforce the timber with epoxy and TPRDA, or a monoethelene glycol based rot repair kit.

The best method is definetly to replace the timber.

If you want the rot repair stuff, send me a PM and i'll give you the details and the people who can give you the advise.

aussie_true_blue
29-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah Moffy, there isnt a real lot of space to work under. What hull do you have?

I will be moving mine shortly up to the shed in Tiaro so the wet wont be any problem and I'll have plenty of room to work and as its will be on 8acres can make as much noise and dust without annoying the neighbours.

All ready had the local council phone to see if I have a business at home as someone complained about the noise of the power tools and the dust from sanding.

cheers Bob

patrol50
29-09-2009, 08:50 PM
mate built a hartley triler sailer 20 years ago and still have it and have fixed a couple of other timber boats - as the others have said cut out as much of the rot as you can and then roughly size oregon or a quality pine, hoop is good (miranti not my first choice thou) to approx fit in the cut outs - then fix in place with 2 pack epoxy west or similar and add filler i.e commercial type fillers or sawdust is good to the glue to use as a bog to fill in the gaps - let it dry sand it all back and will last more than 20 years
se you rob -
ps good stuff workin on timber boats just love the smell of cut oregon

sorry should add wear gloves when mixing the 2 pack glues and using it - gives you bad dermatitis believe me - and i always put glue on both bits of timber being joined and screw in where you can with bronze nails or other fixing etc - forget this glue on one side of the timber only crap - put it on both and same with the marine ply glue on one side of the ply and glue on the timber it fixes to and then nail or screw

aussie_true_blue
29-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Sunstate Timbers at D/bay have both hoop pine and spotted gum, which I have been told are good boat building timber and will do the job of replacing the timber, and they will plane the timber to any size or thickness I need for low cost. Havent been able to locate any other timber on the northside ( not that I looked that far as they are close to me)

cheers Bob

patrol50
30-09-2009, 12:56 PM
id go with the hoop pine bob if it was me prob a bit easier timber to work with and you dont have to be real exact with the cut size of the fill in timber bits - 2 pack epoxy glue bog is very strong - so 12 mm gaps to fill in is ok
cheers rob

Moffy
30-09-2009, 02:42 PM
True Blue,

Its an "extended" Hartley Scamp - a mate's dad redesigned the scamp slightly adding a foot to it (turning the 15 into a 16 footer) - He made 6 of them at once 19 years ago - Mine i am fixing up as we didn't keep the floor sealed properly, water got in and rot developed - another one (my mates - he bought it off his dad, the builder) i am going fishing in on Saturday and is near as good as new. can't count the fish we have pulled over the gunnels of these two boats!!

This time around I am fully sealing mine with Bote Cote Epoxy (using the TPRDA mentioned above for first coat) on all new timber and as a stop rot on some hard to reach/replace sections etc.

Moffy

aussie_true_blue
30-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Been talking to a person who is familiar with the hartley range and he seems to think that having 7"wide decks made from the 20mm timber would be strong enuff.

His quote was -"Should this for some reason be a problem then a couple of inches narrower (in my opinion) wouldn't be significant. The old girl has probably been around for many years and thus the shape would be well and truly set. Other than the unlikely event of getting rammed from the side, the existing frame work (unlike those spinless stitch'n glue things) would maintain much to the status quo. This no doubt would be further enhanced if there is additional items such as seats, storage, bulkheads or whatever down her sides".10" decks are probably more of an advantage if one requires to walk along them to access the bow area re anchor etc. and to keep a bit more water out....the Vixens tend to be rather good at deflecting the wet stuff...... other than that probably no great benefit.
A chap up in SE Qld has been building a Vixen for a while.... he doesn't even have any side decking, having opted for a sleek modern design look.

The old girl is around 30years old ( not to be mistaken for the missus);D;)
:-X
cheers Bob