PDA

View Full Version : Tinoo

Momentum
27-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi all, i posted this in the boating section but didn't get any responses so i thoght i'd post it here and see how it goes. I am contemplating buying a 3m tinoo to use in my local river (which is more like a creek). Will be casting lures mostly with a little trolling. Just wondering if anyone has fished from one of these. How stable are they? Can two people fish from comfortably? Are they easy to paddle or would an electric be the go. Tossing up whether to get one of these or to go with a dedicated fishing yak. Any info or opinion would be appreciated. Cheers

Luc
28-09-2009, 02:28 AM
Go to a dealership than handles them & ask for a test trip.

Luc

StevenM
01-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Have seen them in the flesh and I would not fish out of one. Espesially for the coin they want.

You either want a tinny or a kayak and this thing is as it says, both a tinny and a canoe.

Slap, slap, slap slap, slap....heavy....no thanks

stonecold
03-10-2009, 12:22 PM
mate I luv my yak. I took a couple a tickets in a cancer council raffle last month. 1st prize was a tinoo. I was happy to pay for the tickets having been touched by cancer, but I wasnt all that keen on winning the prize. If you look you can buy 2 sit on top kayaks for close half the price of a tinoo

oldboot
04-10-2009, 10:35 PM
There was a review in one of the mags........they seemed enthusiastic ( of course)

It occurs to me that these are nothing like a kayak.....and realy nothing like a canoe.

calling a spade a spade.....they a are a small punt................nothing new realy.

the yanks would call it a "duck flat"

If you think it will paddle like a canoe...I don't thinks so.

however if you arent keen on a canoe or a kayak style of fishing....they could be an alternative.

the big one is 3meters long and about 900 wide and realy flat bottomed....so they would be a lot more stable than an canadian.

I recon they would be all right with alecky.

I was tossing with the idea of one......but they are a bit exy.........you can probaly get into a smallish conventional dingy for about the same price.

now back to the duck flat......the yanks have been building these things for years in all sorts of sizes and materials.....the rich guys buy them in alluminium...........the poor guys knock them up out of plywood...fast and loose...only expecting it to last a season....and build another next year.

google "duck flat" or "pirogue"........or go to duckflat.com......there are heaps of sites.

almost all local aluminium boat makes do a punt of some type.....check them and compare the prices.

cheers

Luc
05-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Have to agree with Old Boot.

Having tried to paddle a canadian canoe with a double ended (kayack) paddle, it was hard work and the canoe is more streamlined than the tinoo.

Rowing would be easier, an electric on the transom better and IMO a bowmount the best.

At 3M long, I'd prefer to use a punt for the extra beam, higher sides and better carrying capacity. As an example, the SeaJay 3M punt has a beam of 1.42M, depth of 0.52M and can carry 3 persons. There's a big difference in weight, 60Kg for the punt and 35Kg for the tinoo but the punt gives you much more boat.

Given the choice, I'd go for the punt. If you don't fancy a punt, get a kayack (sit on or sit in as you prefer).

Luc

oldboot
06-10-2009, 10:20 PM
trying to paddle a full sized canadian with a double ended paddle just wont work.....you will get away with it in a small narrow one.

interestingly you hardly hear of people rowing a canoe.....but with a bigger canoe it is quite viable AND quite efficient.

some time ago there were commonly available full sized punts that were about 1 meter wide.

look in the used boat section of epay and you will come across a few.

if you look past the fishing mags...there are some quite interesting small boats available.

unfortunately most "modern" boat designs assume petrol powrered and traveling on the plane or are derived from such similar.

If you want something that works efficiently off the plane (apart from a canoe or kayak) you realy have to build it your self.

there are heaps of designs out there....both free and otherwise.

google "hanu's boat yard" for a start.

cheers