PDA

View Full Version : Tinny anchor well idea - thoughts?

foxx510
27-09-2009, 12:27 PM
We are looking at putting an achor well into our 4.15 seajay tinny. Rather than go down the traditional route of having the anchor well as a box with sides inserted into the front decking, would it be feasible to put it further forward, almost right up the front, and just put a rear section in, using the hull as the two sides of the triangle. Does that make sense? The base is already there as the front storage area. I probably need to take a pic to show what I'm talking about....

It would be fully sealed and drained. Would it be a safety issue being much further forward? The aim here would be to retain as much forward storage area as possible. The normal anchor wells can get in the way of that.

FNQCairns
27-09-2009, 12:47 PM
When my tinny was being built I asked my builder if he could do something like that with a hatch in the deck above, he told me he couldn't because he cannot weld to the outer skin here.

I suspect he just fobbed me off and I took the hint as i don't like paying for businesses r&d, the standard one is 'just' good enough.

I can think of a few ways to do it myself and none would weld to the skin of the tinny.....worth a go if that's what you want.

cheers fnq

foxx510
27-09-2009, 12:51 PM
If I were to do it I'd use angle down the sides of the rear section, and probably just sika to the outer skin to seal it. The hatch could be tricky to get neat though. Would I need a hatch? Would it be unseaworthy without it? It wouldn't hold enough water to be dangerous, as far as I can see.

FNQCairns
27-09-2009, 04:13 PM
A hatch is just nice, keeps everything inside when coming down of a big wave, still that depends on how deep the well part is I suppose. mine only just does the job of containing a full 70m of 12mm rope with the hatch closed, without the hatch the rope would have jumped out often.

I like the sika idea also a drain hole would be good addition either to the outside or into the bilge if you have an auto bilge pump.

cheers fnq

Jarrah Jack
28-09-2009, 01:37 PM
The previous owner of my tinny put in an after market plastic one. The drain hole is far too small and clogs up too easily with the muck from the anchor and anything else that finds its way in there like sand and leaves.

I find with the 4.2 that a full anchor well is not really a safety issue and could probably help level out the boat,then again I keep clear of big seas.

nidrac
28-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Fox,

its not quite the same as what your trying to do but we put a vertical piece of aluminium on the front of our 4.2m dory and its completely sealed so no water gets in, using the shelf that was already in there as the bottom, we keep a fair bit of stuff up there and it hasn't made a difference to the performance of the boat however just keep in mind that it moves the most out of everywhere in the boat so things do bounce around a lot so the hatch is a good idea... i can't see why you can't weld on the front sides of the boat after all most of the shelves in the front of boats are welded on the sides...

Cheers, Nidrac

foxx510
30-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys. We are going to think on it a bit and just strap a 20lt square chem drum with the side cut out onto the bow for now.