PDA

View Full Version : Fishing/Boating Tips

charleville
26-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I reckon that 'tis about time that we had a thread giving general handy hints or tips in relation to boating or fishing.

I see such threads in the woodworking and metal working sites that I also frequent and amongst the chaff that gets presented in those threads, there are often some useful ideas.

So to start the ball rolling, here is one from me...

When I go fishing in day time, I usually apply lots of zinc cream to my face - pretty well covering all of it, in fact.

The stuff that I have on hand in the boat just happens to be either blue or hot pink (sold in lipstick type applicators) so I do look a bit absurd when I return to dry land. Accordingly, I am usually pretty keen to remove it asap on the way home in the car.

The best things that I have found for removing that zinc cream are the moist baby wipes. The el cheapo home brands are just as good as the more expensive brands like "Wet ones." The zinc cream comes of really easily with those wipes and an added benefit is that on a hot, sunned face the moist wipes have a nice cooling effect. 8-)

Anyway, that is my modest contribution. Do you have one, please?

:)

Scott nthQld
28-09-2009, 10:57 AM
my tip is very simple....REMEMBER THE BUNGS!!

Personally, I don't put mine in until I get to the ramp and put them in as part of the normal rigging procedure, why? wel I've had them work loose and fall out a couple of times on the way to the ramp, which resulted in me having to go home instead of fishing, so now they are safely stowed in the glove box, and so far have twice stayed there until I was halfway down the creek and remembered them!

Noelm
28-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I guess a rather obvious tip for the early morning boaters, is to get everything ready the day before, fuel, general check all sorts of stuff can be done, all the gear ready to be loaded into the boat, saves all that running around in the dark and frazzled nerves, and embarresing moments at the ramp if everything is ready to go.

TimiBoy
28-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Don't let anyone else do the essential stuff, EVER!

If someone says they've put the bungs in, CHECK!

Make sure the aerials are properly secured. Leave nothing to chance. You are the Skipper, you are in charge. If something goes wrong, it's your ar$e in the sling, not your Deckie's!

R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I-B-I-L-I-T-Y!!!!

Cheers,

Tim

Nic
28-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Good thread! My suggested tip is:

If you like fishing with SPs/soft baits, always keep a pack or two of SnapBacks (or Strike Kings) on board for emergencies. They're pretty well indestructible so they're a godsend on those days when pickers are shredding your favourite SPs. Can save you quite a few $$.

Chamelion
28-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Don't let anyone else do the essential stuff, EVER!

That's my golden rule.. My mates now know that if I want something done I'll ask.

PinHead
28-09-2009, 04:31 PM
That's my golden rule.. My mates now know that if I want something done I'll ask.

I am the same..leave me alone to get my boat ready and No..I don't want a hand cleaning it later...prefer to do it myself.

I even prefer to do the anchor duties myself.

trueblue
28-09-2009, 05:57 PM
don't start your boat motor at the top of the ramp, never ever.... not even for a few seconds

must be in the water or have the muffs on

sid_fishes
28-09-2009, 06:45 PM
there seems to be a trend here
i get everything ready except the food /drinks and dunny paper, and
i wash it when i get back home
done once done right
ian

gaz066
28-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Get yourself a tender rope ( short enough not to hit the prop if it falls into the drink) connected to the bow , it makes launching and retrieving much easier on your own. Also practice ( in quiet times) getting your boat on and off quick so as not to clog up the ramp.

Lucky_Phill
28-09-2009, 07:48 PM
With all new crew / deckies, show them where you hide life jackets, EPIRB, flares and buckets.

Ask if they are radio familiar, can drive a boat and read a GPS / compass.

Apply patience at the boat ramp.

De and re-rig in appropriate areas and NOT on the ramp.

Pre-tie bait jigs.

Occy strap down loose items.

Remove all hooks and sinkers from rods for the trip home.

As a deckie ALWAYS offer money for fuel / bait etc to the skipper.

and many many more.

phill

bigjimg
28-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Check your winch strap/cable/spectre regularly cause if it lets go on the wrong end loooook out deckie.Also tell the missus who might be on winch duties never run their hand along cable.And always keep some dunny paper in the boat for those that can't wait and never tip the contents out when the shute is out.That is just not on.Jim

sleepygreg
28-09-2009, 08:59 PM
A Tip I learnt off an experienced skipper in my early days : If you are taking people out that you dont really know....establish who can and cant swim....in his words "that way I know who to look for, and who can help if we go in the drink". It can also help in who you direct to put on life jackets in certain situations. Whilst I can swim, I am not a strong swimmer...I guess thats why this tip sticks in my mind. Trips out in my boat (when I had boats) always involved a similar spiel to that required to be given by commercial on water/air operations.....everyone had to know where all the safety gear was and how it worked, and I was reluctant to go out without at least one other member of the crew knowing how to drive the boat and operate the radio, if no one else did it was a trip that stayed in enclosed waters or heavy traffic areas.

Greg

STUIE63
28-09-2009, 09:55 PM
always sound around when you spot a seasnake as there is normally a reason that he is where he is
Stuie

Scalem
28-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Always make sure when explaining how a self inflating PDF life jacket works, no passenger who is below the age of 10 can hear you:-X;D Make them wear a special kiddies model. ;)

Make it clear to any deckie that the 5 mins rigging the boat before backing it down the ramp is the skippers' time, and not any other time to
Tell a joke, or let him know how Aunt Ethel is doing, or any other meaningless dribble that might distract him from his very important tasks. If you don't remain quiet, suffer the consequence of being blamed for any manor of things, like forgetting the bait, or the bungs, or to turn the car lights off, or lock the trailer or car etc etc. You are allowed to interrupt in a emergency only, such as "we are sinking" or " you have reversed the trailer deep enough as I can't see it anymore" or the reason the boat won't come off the trailer is because you have forgotten the ratchet tie down and the leg of the motor is dragging on the ramp because it is not trimmed up high enough.

Scalem

trueblue
29-09-2009, 07:17 AM
if you usually tie your boat up at a pontoon to pick up passengers or when getting the trailer, it is very handy to make up a couple of ropes with spliced eyes on both ends - exactly the right length for your usual pontoon deck cleats

this way its a really quick and easy tie off and release, especially if you are getting someone else to tie off to the pontoon - no need for knots, its just, "put that loop over the cleat"

BGG
29-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Regularly check the air pressure of your trailer tyres. It's amazing how many people check the tow vehicle and totally disregard the trailer that can be carrying a lot of weight.

aussiefool
29-09-2009, 08:38 AM
If you tend to leave the ear muffs on the motor after flushing, attach a chain/rope to them ..... that way if you forget to remove before launching they pull off as you push the boat into the water

PinHead
29-09-2009, 04:29 PM
With all new crew / deckies, show them where you hide life jackets, EPIRB, flares and buckets.

Ask if they are radio familiar, can drive a boat and read a GPS / compass.

Apply patience at the boat ramp.

De and re-rig in appropriate areas and NOT on the ramp.

Pre-tie bait jigs.

Occy strap down loose items.

Remove all hooks and sinkers from rods for the trip home.

As a deckie ALWAYS offer money for fuel / bait etc to the skipper.

and many many more.

phill

I love the "hide" the life jackets bit Phill.

I am very guilty of hardly doing any of those items you mention except for 4 and 5.

mookyandlumpy
29-09-2009, 06:08 PM
i always try to take into account who is coming on the trip and plan a day that will accommodate them , like if you have kids your time fishing will be very little if they are inexperienced, re baiting etc , good weather would be a must

as for the boating, i have a check list a go over the night befor with the usual: put bungs in , find boat keys , check saftey gear etc ect

PinHead
29-09-2009, 06:52 PM
mooky..I have all that covered..I never take the bung out and the boat keys stay in the ignition all the time.

One thing I do if fishing solo...I put the boarding ladder down just in case I go A over T out of the boat..bugger of a thing to try and climb back into without the ladder down. That almost happened to me one night on the 30'. Wife was asleep in the cabin with the door closed..i was fishing on the duck board..slipped and nearly went overboard..I thought then how would I have climbed back on.

finding_time
29-09-2009, 07:07 PM
If your taking some newby's fishing offshore and they tell you they dont get sea sick, dont believe them and shove 2 travacalm down there throut one hour before you head out!;) It will save the day ,nothing worse than listening to some guy/gal you have taken out there to enjoy themselfs, dying for the next 10 hrs!! :o And i also hate to see mates begging to go back in when i warned them i wasn't going to if they didn't take the offered tablets and got sick!!;) ;D

Ian

Ps Always happens when the fish are bitting!:'(

Dicko
29-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Anyone with an open boat, pack a spray bottle of plain water under the console or somewhere handy.

(you buy 'em at the supermarket for a couple of $ or use something like an old spray and wipe or window cleaner bottle).

Use it for rinsing salt spray off electronic screens or sunnies before wiping them so they don't scratch.

You can use it on your face for a freshen up and cool down on those hot summer days too.

STUIE63
29-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Anyone with an open boat, pack a spray bottle of plain water under the console or somewhere handy.

(you buy 'em at the supermarket for a couple of $ or use something like an old spray and wipe or window cleaner bottle).

Use it for rinsing salt spray off electronic screens or sunnies before wiping them so they don't scratch.

You can use it on your face for a freshen up and cool down on those hot summer days too.

that's a good one Dicko

gtphantom
30-09-2009, 09:16 AM
If you've ever been harrassed by your wife and your mates partners when your away on a "family"fishing holiday spending to much time fishing and not enough time holidaying I always make time to have a ladies day. Generally pick a good day and don't fish myself , just do all the deckie stuff! We've had great success in the past as well as winning a few hearts. The ladies love it and it's amazing how many brownie points you win that you can call back on later. It's like fishing with two brokem arms but also a lot of fun-- I reccomend it

thelump
30-09-2009, 07:52 PM
As my old man and Uncle (a waterpolieman of some 25 years)used to drill into me if anchoring never turn the motor off until the anchor takes hold and never pull it up until the motor is running.

SgBFish
30-09-2009, 08:13 PM
There are 3 routines that you don't want to rush.

Hooking the trailer on to the car and at the ramp in or out.

castlemaine
30-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Keep fingers and feet well clear between boat and jetty. You'll only do it once.8-)

Salad Fingers
01-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Biggest tip especially for new boaties i reckon is to just take it easy.

Don't listen to idiots at the ramp telling you hurry up, do it slow, do it right.
That is until you get a hang for everything, then go quick and get out of everyones way.
I see this happen time and time again when launching/retrieving at boat ramps.
Newbies trying to rush because idiots are yelling at them. It ends up taking longer when something goes wrong with a newbie than just letting them be and chillaxing a little.

Swindells
01-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Put some of those moisture absorbing crystal packs (like what you get with some flat bread bags, shoes etc) in your tacklebox with hooks and lures to help stop them rusting.

Carry a small sharpening stone in your tacklebox and ALWAYS enure your trebles are sharp before they hit the water.

Guys with aluminium boats, never leave sinkers rolling around on the bottom of your boat.

There are new bag limits, sizes, no take species and green zones, make sure your up to date before you head out.

That's my bit, some good advise being given, keep it up fellas.

WalFish
01-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Lists, drills and check-lists. That is how this skipper works with his crew.

Get the boat all ready the night before. Tie it down, tackle etc in, ice in eskies to pre-chill. Drinking water and snacks in, check safety gear, re-check safety gear and give trailer the once over - tyres, grease bearings and hitch - can never have too much grease.

In the morning - bait, cold drinks and snacks in, hook up the trailer and off we go. Even have my wife quiz me before we start the car - motor (trimmed up and locked), safety chain, lights and hitch, jockey wheel up. Then my 5 and 7 year-old daughters mimic their mother and we go through the same drill again.

At the ramp its a well rehearsed drill. My wife and I do it all regardless of who is coming along. Tie-downs off, bungs in, life jackets on kids, unlock motor - leave trimmed up full, back boat down ramp, kids in boat, launch with skipper on board, wife parks car and trailer. Always the same - never fails.

Ropes - similar to TrueBlue's idea, I have mooring ropes 4 metres long with a spliced eyelet in each end. Easy for one person to loop over bollard on pontoon 'lassoo' style and attach both ends to your anchor bollard.

Most importantly, just be patient and courteous at the ramp, and give others a hand who may not be so lucky to have a great crew.

Just my 2 bob's worth.....
Wal

Goldfinch
01-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Well...it's all been covered pretty much. All I can add is.....Go fishing as much as possible as it's better than working and great for your sanity!!!

Don't stare at the person who needs a hand at the boat ramp. Help him or her out and it'll make your day and theirs.

Oh yeh.....if you take the Mrs....take the porta potti.

Cheers
Dave

Redspeckle
02-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Should always wear some kind of shoes when at the boat ramps lunching and retrieving so don't cut feet on rocks /glass or accidentally steep on some kind of stone fish gives you some good grip on the slippery boat ramp also wear them inside the boat while fishing stops getting feet sunburn /dropping of any hooks and catch any of those fish with the sharper teeth

When retrieving the boat onto the trailer have long rope one part tied to the bow the other end tied too the transom end but have the side tied opposite to the current
at the boat ramp so can pull the ass end around straight and will help put the boat on straighter and won't have to wade in the water at the boat ramp to push back end around against the current

also when launching you have the same long rope tired to the bow want have to get wet as much to put the boat off the trailer onto the beach or boat ramp /pontoon

I hope this helps

Mitch

Adivad
03-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Make up a check list. Laminate it and put it in the boat to check as you get ready.
Save it on the computer so you can add things to it as you think of them.

yellowbeard
03-10-2009, 05:52 PM
there seems to be a trend here
i get everything ready except the food /drinks and dunny paper, and
i wash it when i get back home
done once done right
ian

Sid maaaate, I've heard of some Cheap Charlies in my time but you wash your dunny paper -- and dare I say re-use it?:-/

Keep fingers and feet well clear between boat and jetty. You'll only do it once.8-)

And importantly you have to tell all guests NOT to try to help when docking as it's they who do the most horrible injuries to themselves in trying to grab the dock etc.

Best advice that I can give to all boaters is: sell the bastard and go beach fishing.:(

Hey, Sid_Fishes ... I just got the name thing. That's very good:)

http://melchettmike.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/rotten-vicious3.jpg

TheRealAndy
03-10-2009, 07:57 PM
IF you are fishing solo, USE YOUR SAFTEY LANYARD

thelump
03-10-2009, 08:11 PM
[quote=yellowbeard;1079995]Sid maaaate, I've heard of some Cheap Charlies in my time but you wash your dunny paper -- and dare I say re-use it?:-/

They are a cheap bunch up here mate. Although the moisture is refreshing on those hot days!

Haji-Baba
04-10-2009, 11:30 AM
And if you clean your fish at the ramp don't drop the frames in the water nearby.

It is dangerous, unsightly and if you need to advertise that you have had a good day, tie them on the back of your boat for the trip home.

Feed the pelicans with the smaller frames by all means but don't expect that they will consume or move the bigger frames.

The resident croc. is not there now to remove the large frames.

The Bongaree ramp is a classic example and just because there is a cleaning table provided doesn't suggest you can dump everything in the water.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

Haji-Baba
04-10-2009, 08:31 PM
On another note.

Always check your fuel supply and know your fuel usage.

I always carry twice as much fuel as i expect to use on any one trip.
That has worked for me for fifty years.

If you use a fuel tank with a vent in the cap make sure it is open besore you put to sea. It is quite amazing to see how a plastic tank will concave with the suction from the fuel pump.

We are all required to carry drinking water, we use 2 liter milk bottles as ice contianers in the esky and that could be extra water in an emergency.

A quick rinse off and back into the freezer ready for tomorrow.

Don't release your safety chain on the trailer until you have the boat ready to
launch. Also make sure the shackle is only finger tight.

If your budget will allow, an electric winch with a remote lead or cord control will
make recovery so much easier. It also allows for single person recovery if you are sometimes a lone fisherperson.

Spend a bit of time around a ramp on a quiet day and most people will be only too pleased to offer advice and suggestions.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

ronnien
04-10-2009, 09:29 PM
a bit of common sense.

ron.

gtphantom
08-11-2009, 03:45 AM
I don't know if any of you fellas have ever used a product called reodourant --it's made by Castrol and is an anti-bacterial/detergent. a charter boat operator put me onto it --it mixes with just about any quality water and has a 'bubblegum" purfume -- it's totally bio-degradable and virually kills off any unwanted odours instantly. we've been using it for a couple of years now we give the boat a tub on the way back in with this stuff --amazing how much more pleasant it is when the boat doesn't smell like a fish-mongers boot lingering for a couple of weeks at home! the only drawback is I've found is I have only been able to get can in 20 litres and its nearly $200-- I got a couple of mates to chip in and we divied up a keg between us cheers

Geoff-
08-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Lists, drills and check-lists. That is how this skipper works with his crew.

you've got the whole family well trained!! ;D The other thing is DON'T RUSH. When you rush you forget something.

funkngroovy
09-11-2009, 07:45 AM
As said earlier, help others on the ramp if they need it.

Saw about 10 people watching as a bloke struggled with a snapped winch cable at Charis a while ago.

I ended up having to come back in to help. AMAZING how stupid and inconsiderate some people can be.

charleville
09-11-2009, 09:44 AM
This one seems so basic that perhaps it hardly warrants including here but what the heck, here goes....

Whilst ice is by no means a major cost on a fishing trip, a couple of bucks saved here or there does not do any harm, especially when added up over a year, say.

Neither does not having to stop at a garage on the way to the ramp just to get ice. Plus, if you can produce your own ice to take fishing, it is sure to keep the latent greenies in us all better sleepers at night. ;D

Anyway, over the past few months since acquiring a bait freezer so that I can store bulk bait bought cheaply at a fish wholesaler, I have gotten into the habit of reusing plastic milk bottles for one last purpose before they make it into the recycling bin.

Milk bottles make ideal ice packs so after every use of a milk bottle, it gets rinsed and filled with water and placed in the bait freezer. After use, the fresh water in the milk bottles gets emptied onto some pot plants as they make their way from my my boat to the recycling bin.

The interesting thing about this practice is just how much my wife likes doing it as well. The is something "green" in following this practice plus there is some sort of inherent guarantee that the pot plants get watered every now and then. :D

Also, I am reminded that I need to go fishing when the freezer gets to be overflowing with frozen milk bottles ;D ...

http://img.skitch.com/20091108-fhyd24gqejb96p3x7pjkm85amm.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/charleville2/ngwhi/skitched-20091109-093146)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/charleville2/ngwhi/skitched-20091109-093146) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

I tend to use about ten of these frozen 1 litre milk bottles on each trip and that seems to do the job very nicely in my large esky.

When a bucket of salt water is added out in the boat, a good slurry effect is produced when the small 1 litre bottles are used but of course, you will use which ever bottles your family buys.

By following this practice every time that a milk bottle gets emptied in the kitchen, there is likely to be a supply of hardened ice always available for your fishing trips and very soon, the practice just become a no-brainer.