PDA

View Full Version : Have boat manufacturers changed construction

PinHead
26-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Looking around at various boats and started wondering:

Have fibreglass boat manufacturers altered their construction of transoms to accomodate the extra weight of 4 stroke outboards.

A check of the Yamaha site shows that the 200hp 2 stroke weighs 192kg and the 200hp 4 stroke weighs 269kg. That is the equivalent of having a bloke sitting on the transom..and a whopping extra 150kg if using twins.

Have any of the Australian builders altered their designs to compensate for this?
A couple of the overseas builders state that they have yet difficult to find information regarding this on many of the other makes.

mull dog
26-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Gday

I know that alot of the manufacturers in their specs not only give a max horsepower rating but also a max transom weight (just to cover their arse no doubt)

cheers

Jabba_
26-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I am sure that Hains group increased the max transom weight on the Victory from 240kg to 269kg to accommodate the extra weight off there Suzuki 4stoke..... Had they not increased the transom weight the max HP in a 4st would only off been 175hp.....

As far as I know, and been told, nothing has been done to strengthen the transom... That said, the transoms in the Seafarer are bloody strong, and could easily hold the extra weight

Lovey80
27-09-2009, 12:06 AM
I know that Webster has. The new models all have extended hulls about a foot longer at the back to add the extra bouyancy required in the rear. I have to admit that it was needed. I repowered with a 50hp 4 stroke and it is noticable the extra weight on the rear of the boat. I am even considering having my older model customised to be like the new ones.

Cheers

Chris

TimiBoy
27-09-2009, 06:36 AM
From 2006 Cruisecraft have added an aluminium C section over the top of the transom on the 685 (don't know re other models) for it's entire length, but only if they know a Verado is being fitted.

Cheers,

Tim