PDA

View Full Version : Jessica Watkins - on the move again??

ThePinkPanther
26-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Just saw it on Sky News that the lass - as we all knew - exhibited gross displays of negligence on her handling of the navigation equipment and understanding of Lat and Long.

Appears she did not have the radar alarm ON, showed a lack of understanding of the workings of some of the equipment and had made significent errors in recording her Lat and Long coordinates!

Additionally she has NO experience in sailing single handedly over lengthy distances and is considered to be highly inexperienced!

But that's just what the media says - and it will change hour to hour no doubt!

This kid is heading for serious trouble and maybe Dad and Mum should step in and exercise some responsibility by canning the crazy venture!

Of course old Mum is there on Telly saying "oh, it's just something she has always wanted to do!"

tin can marlin
26-09-2009, 10:09 AM
I hope she does not go i think that it is going to be a very hard ask for he to pull of such a venture. I also hope that her and her parents don't feel like you have come this far now you have to go as people will say it was a big joke etc. There will be no egg on her face she had a dream and if she does not acheive that dream she will not be the first. So maybe common sence will take over and it will take over and Jessica and the family will call it off. Plenty of time down the track to do such a venture who cars about records. And if they are put her life at risk just to break a record there is somthing wrong. IMO

Midnight
26-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Gday,
I couldn't agree more. She clearly lacks the experience required to handle what she is setting out to do. I have read all the supporting articles of how wonderful she is, and I don't doubt for a second that she is a determined and most likely, lovely young lady. However, no single handed offshore sailing experience, not one single handed Mooloolaba to Lord Howe, or down Sydney even.

As you say, couldn't have had the radar alarm on, or was in the bunk when she got run over by the ship. The East coast is extremely busy with shipping traffic and you must keep your eyes open! I have had them try to run over me in a 57 foot steel trawler, a much bigger radar signature than a 34' glass yacht.

I wish her all the best, but fear for her mental and physical well being in the Southern Ocean.

Again, I do wish her the best of luck.

Cheers,
Myles

PinHead
26-09-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26127059-1248,00.html

it does not look too good for her. But then there are probably managmenet agencies offering big buck deals if she is successful...hard to knock that back.

finding_time
26-09-2009, 11:39 AM
!

Additionally she has NO experience in sailing single handedly over lengthy distances and is considered to be highly inexperienced!

I dont know about the other statements but i do believe this to be wrong, she has sailed a boat solo to New Zealand , she had a observer onboard to access the trip for some sort of certification. The observer at no stage assisted in sailing the boat!

I'm in 2 minds about the trip ( i have a daughter) but i think it should be a balanced accessment on the facts and alot of info the media is publishing is wrong!

Ian

This is the passage that pertains to my above statement....

But she has the ability to do it."Jim Hawke, an Australian offshore yacht instructor who did a "mock" solo sail with Watson from Australia to New Zealand in January, was impressed with the-then 15-year-old's ability."She saps up knowledge like a sponge, she sorts it out, makes her own mind up," Hawke said.

And here's the whole artical

http://www.whynotad.com/advertising/Jessica-Watson

Ian

siegfried
26-09-2009, 11:51 AM
mummy and daddy are gunna do well out of the book be she live or dead, theres bad dudes with guns n $hit out there hows she gunna handle that. Its a stupid stunt that responsible parenting could have avoided. And (yawn) it aint like anyone hasnt sailed around the::) world before

frankgrimes
26-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Just out of interest - What would a boat like her's be worth?

brisbane_boy
26-09-2009, 01:25 PM
mummy and daddy are gunna do well out of the book be she live or dead, theres bad dudes with guns n $hit out there hows she gunna handle that. Its a stupid stunt that responsible parenting could have avoided. And (yawn) it aint like anyone hasnt sailed around the::) world before

Too right, you would think the parents would of sat her down to a captian stabbin video and talked about what kenyan pirates will treat her like:-X It would be one hell of a trip love to be a fly on the wall

finding_time
26-09-2009, 01:56 PM
If you go to her site and see her planned route via nth New Zealand, Figi then down into the Southern Ocean i doubt she going to have any issues With Captin Stabbin ( who ever he is) Somalie pirates or any other pirates , but Cape Horn will be plenty of a challenge regardless. As i said i dont really no what to think about the trip but lets keep the discussion real!

Here's a link for her route
http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/route-rules

Ian

brisbane_boy
26-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Ian, The captain is a fictional character made famous sailing the high seas, you were close with route, very close;)

Scott nthQld
26-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Stupid little girl I'm afraid, MSQ released a statement yesterday saying that she was the one at fault, due to her lack of experience, and that she should not be doing it....here's a sure fire way to stop her....Charge her for the marine accident.

She shouldn't be doing it full stop, She lacks the experience, maturity and common sense to come out of it alive. At least mummy and Daddy will get a big paypacket out of it which ever way it goes.

I wonder who will be footing either the rescue, or recovery bills when this does go pear shaped?

finding_time
26-09-2009, 04:21 PM

I wonder who will be footing either the rescue, or recovery bills when this does go pear shaped?

Scott

Mate the family has take out a rescue insurance policy, so any cost up to 10 000 000 will be covered ! They were interviewed on the radio about 4 weeks ago and this was one of the questions that Greg Carey asked first!

It sounds like i'm defending her but i just defending the truth!

Ian

ifishcq1
26-09-2009, 05:32 PM
thats why they are called wafis (wind assisted fn idiots)
cheers

nigelr
27-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Tough call, her parents have the $$$, she thinks she has the will; apparently to them (and me, sorry for being cynical) it is no big deal in the scheme of things whatever eventuates.
Cheers.

trymyluck
27-09-2009, 07:51 AM
I don't know her or her family but i refuse to judge their chances of completing this dream of Jessica's on the medias reports, they have never let the truth get in the way of a good story in the past and they tend to print what the majority want to read. Good luck to her and I wish I had half her guts and if its stupidity for her to be attempting this then I probably already have half of that already.;)

Mark

Mister
27-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Stupid little girl I'm afraid, MSQ released a statement yesterday saying that she was the one at fault, due to her lack of experience, and that she should not be doing it....here's a sure fire way to stop her....Charge her for the marine accident.

She shouldn't be doing it full stop, She lacks the experience, maturity and common sense to come out of it alive. At least mummy and Daddy will get a big paypacket out of it which ever way it goes.

MSQ ????? You're kidding?

MSQ ????? Charge her? You're kidding?

Recovery Bills ?????? Get real the rest of the world owes us a fortune anyway for pulling so called experienced sailors out of the southern ocean, year after year

griz066
27-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Just out of interest - What would a boat like her's be worth?

Sunday Mail quotes $150K

griz066
27-09-2009, 06:45 PM
If she goes I have grave fears for her safety and very much doubt she will be ever seen again.

Mister
27-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Well without the Australian navy Bullimore would also never had been seen again either and Bullimore was 55 at the time, what's the difference?

Gen X/Y people should always remember the difference between those that stuff up when they should know it all.

PinHead
27-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Rescuing Bullimore cost us nothing..the sailors would still have gotten their wages if sitting aorund in port...running the ship is no different than it sailing anywhere else on the planet..a good training run for the navy that episode.

Mister
27-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Rescuing Bullimore cost us nothing..the sailors would still have gotten their wages if sitting aorund in port...running the ship is no different than it sailing anywhere else on the planet..a good training run for the navy that episode.

Good then it won't cost anything to rescue anybody else will it? Lets cancel the cost syndrome fear then.

But then of course navy ships always go almost to Antartica just for the fun of fit? The southern ocean is really fun, you ever been there?

finding_time
27-09-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm with pinhead on this one , good practice for the Navy to imho! I also know a sailor who was on the ship that rescued BULLIMORE And he reckons it was the highlight of his time in the service , so do many of his former ship mates! So maybe the southern ocean isn't that bad if your a gen X'er;) ;D

Ian

Ps. I thought the cost issue was resolved anyway, she's got insurance;) Also i cant remember jessie martin getting all this grief, is it because shes a girl??????? I think in many way a 16 year old girl may well be more equiped to deal with the phycological issues involved with a trip like this than a 17 year old boy;) And jessie martin has said the mind games he playied on himself were the hardest part of his trip!

Mister
27-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Jessie Martin is no longer the youngest around the world sailor anyway. Come on people lets keep up with the times.

TJ Bear
27-09-2009, 09:12 PM
I wish the girl all the best, any long distance solo voyage is a challenge and I hope she has fare winds and sea's all the way round. God bless the adventurous as it is their spirit that push us all forward. Drink deep from the cup of life or know not the taste.

Scott nthQld
27-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Jessie Martin is no longer the youngest around the world sailor anyway. Come on people lets keep up with the times.

Yeah, pity that some of us could use a bit of common sense.

Isn't one of our favourite sayings on this site is future behaviour can best be predicted by past behaviour?

It obvious by the report released by MSQ, NOT the media as some of you requiring a bit of common sense would believe, that the girl was at fault, she 'dosed' off, didn't have alarms set that would've been able to help her avoid the collision and now she's having another go, because she has a 'dream' and its what she wants to do.

How many 16 year olds really know what they wanted to do, hell the only thing I wanted to do when I was sixteen involved booze and birds (not the feathered kind). As for Jesse Martin, well he had his nay sayers as well, but at least he got a lot further than straddie on his attempt. Gender is a non issue, if she was capable, good luck to her, but she's clearly proven she isn't end of story.

FNQCairns
27-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Yes exactly...and how often do our forces get to called upon to only do good, paid for more than once in just morale IMO.

cheers fnq

sleepygreg
27-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I would rather have our forces out their performing good deeds than shooting at people.They train for both, and 'live training' in both doesnt happen often. I dont have a problem with our defence forces doing this stuff, the only cost difference to them sitting in port sucking their thumbs, and going to rescue someone is the fuel......and that would be a genuine training exercise. Why not have a Naval frigate 'shadow' her on her journey....another 'training excercise'. Everyone wins, and she stays safe. They could incorporate all sorts of exercises for RAAF and RAN around this venture, just trying to think outside the square here.

Greg

Lovey80
28-09-2009, 03:02 AM
This trip she did to NZ... would this world attempt still be legit if she did the same thing? I know its not solo but if there is no help then it sort of is her sailing around the world and some adult as a passenger. I guess the being a lone with no one to talk to is a big part of a solo trip I guess.

I wish her the best of luck. I have no doubt I was mature enough to undertake such a voyage had I been sailing from a very young age. However if I was her father there would be big issues with letting a 16 year old kid be out of the country alone on a boat. There are pirates all throughout asia not just somalia. I would be putting an armed person with the right skills on board as an 'observer' for these risks if nothing else. The elements are tough enough and I guess training can help over come bad seas etc but you can't train a 16 year old girl to defend against pirates. She's a sitting duck out there and if she does go I hope she gets lucky.

Cheers

Chris

Mindi
28-09-2009, 09:13 AM
I dont wish her ill, and if she goes I wish her a safe trip...but the evidence from the investigation doesn't suggest she is ready. Demonstrably wrong plotting, Lat/Lon problems, no planned course, no proximity alarm set in a busy shipping area, no fatigue management plan....
If she happens to make it in one piece that wont change the fact that this is relying too much on good luck and too little on thorough equipment and personal preparation. Her gender is irrelevant. It is tempting to speculate on the motivation for this, the idea that it is prospective financial gain is too sick to contemplate. It is hard for me to view the role of her parents positively. You dont just blindly support your kids unconditionally...you bring your experience and mature judgment to your support.
I hope she doesnt go.....and if she does go, I hope she abandons the project before she has a disaster she doesnt escape from.

seatime
28-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Listening to ABC radio this arvo - an interview with an editor of an Aus yachting magazine (forget which one).

Jessica Watkins (possibly Simpsonlike)refutes MSQ investigation and stated all equipment was turned on and claims a system malfunction??? not her fault!!! technicians are attempting to fault-find the system failure.
Can any techs confirm that these systems hold a history that can be interrogated for on/off applications?

I have a 16yr old daughter and consider her mature for her age... no way would I allow her to undertake something like this escapade!
I've seen the interviews with the Elle Bache (amongst others) promoted sailor and haven't understood much of what she said? "yeah like you know like yeah"

With seagoing experience of over 20yrs in oceans worldwide-wide - dodging hurricanes in the Nth Pacific, cyclones in the Sth Pacific, 20m+ swells in the Sthn & Indian Oceans, Ice in the Bering Sea... & 15m swells on the Australian east coast!!!
I'd be hestitant sailing solo on her intended route.

Still I wish her safe passage... and may the gods of the ocean be with you.

White Pointer
28-09-2009, 09:10 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26127059-1248,00.html

it does not look too good for her. But then there are probably managmenet agencies offering big buck deals if she is successful...hard to knock that back.

G'day,

I agree. And if she fails and dies in the proceeds the blood suckers will capitalise on that as well.

This is wrong! Sixteen year olds are in learning mode and need tutors to teach them. We learn every week how risk taking behaviour destroys young lives on our roads and we make laws and try to regulate them. We haven't solved that one yet. How can a 16 year old make the risk assessments to navigate the world's oceans alone?

Surely the parents are responsible. This is reckless and avoidable.

Regards,

White Pointer

Mindi
29-09-2009, 10:22 AM
yeah well one of the ironies of living in a free country is that you are generally free to do stupid and dangerous things which dont endanger others...!

Noelm
29-09-2009, 10:53 AM
it may well be dangerous and reckless and all the other stuff, but I guess what it all comes down to is, she is prepared to give it a try, might do it easy, might come to grief and require a very expensive resue, (like many others have needed) might make some cash from her story, who knows how it will unfold, but give it a try, no use to die wondering as the old saying goes. Anyone else here game to do it?

finding_time
29-09-2009, 11:29 AM
it may well be dangerous and reckless and all the other stuff, but I guess what it all comes down to is, she is prepared to give it a try, might do it easy, might come to grief and require a very expensive resue, (like many others have needed) might make some cash from her story, who knows how it will unfold, but give it a try, no use to die wondering as the old saying goes. Anyone else here game to do it?

I'm with you Noel! I've jumped of the fence and reckon if that's what she wants to do well that's really a decission for her and her parents, no one else. Lets forget about the cost issues of a rescues as more than likely it will be in someone elses back yard if it happens and they have insurance and really the pirate issue is a small one compared with the dangers presented by the ocean itself! At least she has a dream and is prepared to follow it , better than hanging round with a bunch of drop kicks and doing drugs and driving in fast cars imho! Go girl!

Ian

Ps Anyone who thinks her parents are doing it for the money isn't obviously a parent and i think her parents are showing enormous courage!

Noelm
29-09-2009, 11:45 AM
yep, fully agree, there is a lot worse things a young girl can do, around the world is quite a funny thing really, around the Equator would take forever, but what happens is they all go around as close to the bottom (or top) as possible as it is much shorter (like if you stood right on the south pole, around the world would take about 3 steps) but there is a couple of places that have to be 'rounded" before it is classed as around the World (if you get what I mean) because of the lower latitudes travelled, wild seas and freezing cold can be your enemy, especially when you consider that somewhere along the way she will encounter sh!t weather at some time, and fully expect to be "knocked down" that is rolled over 360 dgrees, something that is not to be taken lightly on your own! good luck to her I reckon, even if she only makes it half way, at least she gave it a shot.

seatime
29-09-2009, 12:18 PM
"knocked down" definition:
The event when a sudden gust of wind overwhelms the balance of a sailboat and puts the rail under and the sail in the water.

SgBFish
29-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Life is full of calculated risks.
We make them every day. Driving a car, boating alone etc.
She is making her own assessment of the risks and hopefully she has been well advised.
People are applying their own risk adverseness to the situation she is facing.
Hope she read “The Dove”.
I would not have picked a S&S 34 for the trip. What a nightmare of a boat downwind!
Hope she survives.

Noelm
29-09-2009, 01:29 PM
"knocked down" definition:
The event when a sudden gust of wind overwhelms the balance of a sailboat and puts the rail under and the sail in the water.
woops sorry, left a couple of words out there, it should have read something like, knocked down AND rolled over 360 degrees, keyboard is not typing what my mind is thinking!

castlemaine
29-09-2009, 02:30 PM
[quote=seatime;1078124]

I have a 16yr old daughter and consider her mature for her age... no way would I allow her to undertake something like this escapade!
quote]

This is called 'duty of care' ... you as a parent have a duty of care to your children. Are Jessica's parents accepting their duty of care to their child? Can they also accept the risks and concequences? Moreover can they live with themselves if things go 'pear-shape'?
I have a 16 year daughter and is a very competent driver but no way I'd let her drive to Cape York on her own.
Cheers8-)

Mindi
29-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Noel it's not the idea of "doing it" or "going for it" that I am concerned by, I agree your and Ian's sentiment of that for sure...it's the evidence that this particular young person is not showing the capability required to do it.....still... it's her life..!

foxx510
29-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Doing things this early in life also means a higher risk of it going wrong and never wanting to sail a boat in open waters again. I guess though she's weighed up that risk and sees the possible reward as being worth it. Man it's going to toughen her up, imagine the endurance that girl is going to need to get through this.....

Noelm
29-09-2009, 03:14 PM
it certainly will be a long and lonely trip, no doubt about it, there is a dozen things that can and probably will go wrong, not only the weather, but whales can be a hazzard, and no wind can be a pain as well as high winds, gear failure (always at just the wrong time) lack of sleep clouding judgement and god knows what else, but I guess the boat is capable of the task, it is just a matter of is she!

Whale Bone
29-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi all,
Im 16 and recently got my boat license, I have been around boats most of my ;ife and Dad has tought me a hell of alot of stuff regarding driving a boat safely, alot more that i learnt in the coarse. I think this girl is putting the peoples lives at risk who have to rescue her, shouldn't her parents agree t be paying all expenses for any rescue efforts. In the trial, she planned her trip so that she wuld be in the shipping channel during nightime, she set her coarse whilst she was still smack in the middle of the shipping channel, and would have put the autopilot on and went below for a nap. If she has shpwn this much stupidity in the trial, who knows what will happen t her in the actuall journey. As my Dad has tought me there is a big difference between having the good boat and technology and knowing how to use it safely.
Cheers

pog mo hoin
30-09-2009, 07:48 AM
I take my hat off to this young lady. sure there are risks, but I knew a young girl who was sitting in traffic and an excavator came crashing off a truck and killed her.
I would like to think that a young Australian like Jessica would inspire just a couple less cyber bullies, binge drinkers, baby bonus collecters etc. if she was my daughter I would make sure all I's are dotted and all T's are crossed.

If she was my daughter I would filled with more pride than you could fit on the plains of Africa, if she was my daughter I would be concerned and nervous as well. but as we all know what the knee Jerk media is like, if Jessica pulls this off she will be "OUR JESS" and there will be big deal made of it with Anna Bligh back on saying "YOU GO GIRL". And of course if she is unlucky and does fail one way or another, the media will have a great time saying I told You So. But at least this young lady is having "A GO". She is fulfilling a dream, a passion and a goal, what sort of young woman do you think she will turn out to be after succeeding with a dream like this.

Jessica and her spirit are the sort of future this country needs, she could be Prime Minister one day, with a sailing success or even failure story behind her. I just wish we could all follow our dreams as this young lady intends to do. Oh yeah ......Never pat a burning dog!!!

levinge
30-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Saw the news last night and quote by her!!

" I have a fatigue plan in place, just take 10 to 15 minute cat naps"

I think its going to take alot more than power naps to fight off fatigue.

She is heading fair smack into a venture that will most likely see her go missing at sea.

I just hope someone out there has the sense to wake her up before she becomes a statistic....

baitwaster
30-09-2009, 08:13 AM
If she ( or anyone else - male or female ) can't get past straddie without running into something, then solo around the world is not the job for them IMHO.

PADDLES
30-09-2009, 08:43 AM
i personally couldn't give a rat's whether she does it or not, like mindi says "it's a free country".

but i do question her parents motives and duty of care and i do question the idea of creating a "record" for for being the youngest to do something ........................ what's going to be next? someone sending a 3yo off in a boat in order to capture the "record" ............. what a toss!

by the way if any of you blokes are planning on anchoring up in the coomera river in the next day or so make sure you go nice and shallow where she can't run into you ................... :P

ThePinkPanther
30-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Listen Pog Mo Hoin, if this young lady was highly experienced, had extensive single handed sailing experience, knew how to use her equipment properly, had given a great deal of attention to planning her trip and above all, listened to advice, then I would agree with you.

Fact is she is none of the above and is quite the opposite. To ignore the advice from other highly experienced sailors and the marine authorities is not smart, it is simply stupid!

And of course when she gets into trouble then she will have no hesitation in calling for help at huge expense - and possibly danger - to her rescuers.

It's called common sense and responsibility! Clearly she has neither and should not be applauded for taking stupid risks when the project is clearly way beyond her abilities.

Sadly the lure of the proverbial $$$$$$$$$$$ will be a dominating factor in the decision making process!

For heavens sake she was virtually run down by a container ship in her own background when she should be at her best and brightest! How will she handle demanding and possibly dangerous conditions in foreign seas when suffering from the inevitable fatigue and unfamilarity of her surroundings?

You cannot on one hand call for boating safety - as I am sure you would - and on the other hand support reckless ventures such as this one!

Ya gotta fish or chop bait Mate!

Mindi
30-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Saw the news last night and quote by her!!

" I have a fatigue plan in place, just take 10 to 15 minute cat naps"

I think its going to take alot more than power naps to fight off fatigue.

She is heading fair smack into a venture that will most likely see her go missing at sea.

I just hope someone out there has the sense to wake her up before she becomes a statistic....

I saw her interviewed too.... its not that easy to put your finger on it but compared to Jesse Martin , similar in years (at the time of trip) , she seems years younger mentally. Admittedly very subjective but I thought she even looked a bit nervous/frightened .... her mother doesnt look frightened... hhmmmmm...! of course..she isnt in the boat is she. This kid's personailty as it comes across in the short interviews does not look like this is a self started/self driven project.

Ally Jack
30-09-2009, 09:22 AM
I think the idea was good in the first place sailing round the world, wind in the face nothing but you and the ocean but the reality that set in not far from home is something quite different.

I'm thinking she can't back out now as the sponsors have payed up for the boat and gear and they want their return (her trip and story)or their money back. Mum and Dad don't have the coin, so she has to go

Ally Jack

Chamelion
30-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I read last night that she has more qualification (if you hold that in any regard) than Jesse Martin did.
It also said that the offending ship changed course twice in the time between first noticing her and running into her, that her paperwork wasn't in a formal manner because it was 'just' her practice run down to Sydney and that two of three warning devices were operational on her boat.

It really looks to me like a case of first night jitters coupled with a useless ship crew that caused the accident rather than just her being inexperienced.

If she's going to do it she's going to do it... Get off her back and let her get on with it.

levinge
30-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I saw her interviewed too.... its not that easy to put your finger on it but compared to Jesse Martin , similar in years (at the time of trip) , she seems years younger mentally. Admittedly very subjective but I thought she even looked a bit nervous/frightened .... her mother doesnt look frightened... hhmmmmm...! of course..she isnt in the boat is she. This kid's personailty as it comes across in the short interviews does not look like this is a self started/self driven project.

Totally agree Mindi, High level stress on someone so young can ultimately lead to a rushed decision in an emergency and the end result will be a News Headline..

pog mo hoin
30-09-2009, 06:19 PM
I hope she is safe and fulfills her goal
I hope the loud nockers are as loud when she pulls it off
I hope that we can always agree to dissagree
I hope that the glass is half full for you one day
I hope that she sails into the Seaway on her return so I can be part of it
I hope she sells her story "How a nation slagged me and I stuck it up thier Bum"
Oh and never pat a Burning Dog

trymyluck
30-09-2009, 06:50 PM
As I said before I don't know her or her family or anything other then what you read and see on the tv. (I also saw a great documentry on the Tooth Fairy last week.;)::):o).I wonder how many others here actually know her or have first hand knowledge of the issue. I wish her all the best in her attempt and will leave the question of whether she is capable and prepared to those that have that responsibility and knowledge. Or maybe she should just listen to all the nayers and go grab a couple of eckies and get herself pregnant and on the rock n roll for the next 15 years.>:(
Out of interest I have 2 daughters, 21 and 23 and if one of them had come to me and said that they wanted to attempt something that was dangerous and a bit risky but had the ability to acheive the desired outcome with a bit of luck then I would have stood by them all the way. Yes I would have been a nervous wreck but that would have been my cross to carry.
Ability can be god given but there is only one way to get experiance.

On the other hand if she is being pushed by her parents than if it all goes wrong they will have to live with that. Not something I could live with.

Mark

White Pointer
30-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Noel it's not the idea of "doing it" or "going for it" that I am concerned by, I agree your and Ian's sentiment of that for sure...it's the evidence that this particular young person is not showing the capability required to do it.....still... it's her life..!

G'day,

She is 16 and in this country that means "child". So it is not really her life because she can't make a contract in her own name. She can't vote. She is not allowed to make the key decisions of her life, yet.

If she said she wanted to shoot heroin to see what it was like, would we say OK - have the experience and see if you get addicted? or would we condemn it? If she decided to drive on the roads despite not being old enough to have a license would we say OK, try not to wipe us out, or would we condemn it?

Think about the risks involved.

This is wrong.

Regards,

White Pointer

Bros
30-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Unfortunately I believe her parents are the driving force and if she finds herself in a position where even her reasoning would tell her to abandon the trip she will always be driven by her parents to continue.
It wouldn't be the first time the parents are living their life through their kids just go to a junior football game.

Chamelion
01-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Unfortunately I believe her parents are the driving force and if she finds herself in a position where even her reasoning would tell her to abandon the trip she will always be driven by her parents to continue.
It wouldn't be the first time the parents are living their life through their kids just go to a junior football game.

You reminded me of some of the people at my daughters representative try-outs... Erg, competitive much?

Dezzer
01-10-2009, 06:22 AM
She should stay home and create dribble on facebook, play Wii and use the word 'like' at least six times in every sentence spoken.

Would have thought the majority of folks who frequent a site that promotes the great outdoors and related risk taking activities (regardless of how good a boatie we think we are) would be more supportive.

Good luck Jess, on return your life experience will have you leaps and bounds ahead of your peers when pursuing future goals.

Mindi
01-10-2009, 08:13 AM
You reminded me of some of the people at my daughters representative try-outs... Erg, competitive much?

Well there isnt any evidence of that so its probably a harsh call.... but the possibilty is pretty ugly isnt it...it's certainly what I suspected when I saw some of the interviews.

I dont think the people expressing concern on this are necessarily knockers or glass half full people... I hope I am not. what if the kid was 15..? or 13..? or 12...?.....who is going to decide when brave becomes stupid. When she succeeds then it will require a 15 yr old to take the record...so its not a purely theoretical point.
It also depends on the individual's maturity. I still think that on balance this is a bad idea, but wish her well if she does it and good on her if/when she succeeds....

foxx510
01-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Yeah I don't think anyone in this thread are being negative or naysayers. They just don't want her to die, that's all.

Stuart
01-10-2009, 08:41 AM
I think she has demonstrated to all of us her ability so far. She is simply too young to have had any degree of experience on the water. She will get a big wake up call when she rounds the horn through the Drake Passage South America.

Stu

death_ship
01-10-2009, 08:29 PM
her oldies must be nutters

Apollo
01-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Don't know the girl, only what I have seen and read. Having a fair amount of ocean sailing experience, I must admit that I fear for her safety. I think that she is a little under prepared, but her first south sea front will sort her out fairly quick as to whether she will make it. That being said, I admire her courage and wish her fair winds and a safe return.

Steve

Jarrah Jack
02-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I have a bit of sailing experience and would never attempt such a thing. I admire her adventurous spirit and hope all goes well. It really is so much easier these days with modern communications, weather forecasting and the ubiquitious GPS.

I thrust Ian Tiernan's opinion, as he has done the same thing, and if he reckons its ok its good enough for me.

Chamelion
02-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I just heard that she didn't bother to log in with the VMR when she left port this morning.. I'm sure that'll give those against her sailing around the world a little more ammo at which to shoot her with.

PinHead
02-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I just heard that she didn't bother to log in with the VMR when she left port this morning.. I'm sure that'll give those against her sailing around the world a little more ammo at which to shoot her with.

she won't be left alone until she leaves Australian waters.
So what..big deal..she didn't log on..wow.

trymyluck
02-10-2009, 07:17 PM

I'd have to say that with the pressure of so many eyes watching her and hoping she screws up i'm surprised she got out of the port.
I hope it all goes well for her, mistakes will happen. Thats the only way to learn sometimes and become experienced I guess. Anyway half her guts.

Mark

trymyluck
02-10-2009, 07:18 PM

I'd have to say that with the pressure of so many eyes watching her and hoping she screws up i'm surprised she got out of the port.
I hope it all goes well for her, mistakes will happen. Thats the only way to learn sometimes and become experienced I guess. Anyway half her guts.

Mark

Mister
02-10-2009, 07:36 PM

Big deal, so what! I wouldn't either, why would you bother?

finding_time
02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Yep i had a laugh at the media reports that she didn't log on as well, apparently according to a "'SORCE" within VMR/Coastgaurd said 98% of boats log on?? What a load of shite i reckon it would be lucky to be 40% the media is really getting carried away with there attack on her!

BTW to all those that didn't read the link i posted , she has sailed to NZ and i'm sure she'll learn every day ! If she gets to sydney do you think they'll be chasing her???

Chamelion
02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey, I've been one of the few supporting her along the way... Don't shoot the messenger!

lippa
02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
i wish her the best of luck, but god, i worry for her. here's to a safe return to Australia, for the young lass

Black_Rat
02-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Burke & Wills had there critics many years ago 8-)

God speed & fair winds ! All the best !

Damo

Apollo
03-10-2009, 05:22 AM

Damo

Damo

You are a cheeky bugger!;)

siegfried
03-10-2009, 06:25 AM

Damo
And last I heard Burke and Wills went ar$e up. Nothing more than a spastic stunt by people who think money and not ability will carry the day. you blokes that reckon she has experience, wake up ...shes a bloody kid... whole things a crock of $h*t but I spose its got us fullas talking and thats what this whole stunt is about,right

trymyluck
03-10-2009, 08:16 AM
And last I heard Burke and Wills went ar$e up. Nothing more than a spastic stunt by people who think money and not ability will carry the day. you blokes that reckon she has experience, wake up ...shes a bloody kid... whole things a crock of $h*t but I spose its got us fullas talking and thats what this whole stunt is about,right

I don't think anyone here is saying that she is experienced, yes she does have some experience but there is only one way to gain it. What gets up my nose a little is that here is someone that is saying that I don't want to just sit around and experiment with drugs and sex and people just want sit back and bag her. Yes she may not complete her trip but if she is as bad as some think then she won't make it past Sydney let alone Cape Horn but i'm betting she will be a little better then that.

As has been already been said fair winds, fair seas and a safe return.

Mark

Bowser
03-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Personally I have huge doubts as to her ability to do this given recent events but if she wants to then do it. What I object to is people who take on these risky stunts and then require us, "the tax payer" to foot the bill on expensive rescues from which they make a motza and when they sell the book "donate" a pittance to pay for the rescue to salve their conscience.

Certainly challenge the limits and boundaries but when things go pear shaped, don’t expect someone to sail half way across the Southern Ocean to cut you out of your upturned boat.

Mindi
03-10-2009, 08:35 AM
I thought Burke and Wills was a pretty funny analogy too.... An expedition totally politically motivated and conceived... ill prepared...wrong experience..driven by "my state wants to be first"..."we can get to the top before SA"...........and all ended in bleached bones and tears..... lets hope not in Jessica's case.
Get over the idea that expressing concern about her capacity for this is "knocking" her....it isnt that at all....she looks like a good kid. Not sure about the parents gotta say.

Dicko
03-10-2009, 10:00 AM
This guy has put into words (from his own experience) a lot of issues I've been thinking about.

Jessica Watson: An open letter from solo sailor Mark CarlileArticle from: Font size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print Submit comment: Submit comment October 03, 2009 12:00am

MARK Carlile sailed solo from England to Brisbane over 226 days from late in 2006. He has tried to contact Jessica Watson since March to pass on his tips but his approaches have been knocked back. This is his advice to the 16-year-old sailor:

JESSICA, you're about to start on a journey that will change your life forever.

A non-stop, solo trip around the world is a huge task for anyone.

I know there are plenty of people saying "don't do it". I don't want to say that to you. All I want to say is that only you know if you're ready and capable. Your mum, your dad, your friends, family and sponsors can't know that. Only you can look into yourself and say when you're ready.

I delayed my trip for one year because I didn't think I was ready. When the time came, I was 34 and knew that I was as ready as I would ever be.

In-depth: Jessica Watson around the World
Pictures: Jessica Watson, solo sailor
For a long time before I left, I was really scared. To combat that, I wrote a list of everything that I thought could go wrong on the trip and how I would handle it. That made me feel much more prepared.

But there were still things that happened that I had never expected.

Nothing could prepare me for the 10m seas to the east of southern Africa, when I would surf the rolling seas in my yacht Ingrid – which is one foot longer than your Ella's Pink Lady.

I hope I'm never as terrified again as I was as Ingrid climbed uphill on the waves only to spear down the front, all the while as I hand-steered from outside. I was petrified her bow would spear into the water.

I hope I never feel as isolated as I did when I edged across the Indian Ocean, knowing there probably wasn't another human within 2000km of where I sailed.

I hope the adrenalin never pumps through me again like the two full days when pirates chased me off the west coast of Africa.

And I hope I'm never as in danger as the day when Ingrid completed a 360deg roll off Tasmania. A freak wave turned day into night in the cabin as water rushed in, before Ingrid righted herself about 20 seconds later.

But here's one thing – I hope I again feel as good as the days after I completed my journey. That feeling of accomplishment, after all of those days and challenges, was special.

Jessica, here's a guide to some of the things I needed outside of sailing skills. I know you have probably heard it all before but I just wanted to make certain before you leave Sydney this month.

LONELINESS

I was lucky because I had lived in London, away from my family and friends, for five years when I started my journey. I was used to being away from the people who meant the most to me and who helped me a lot over the 226 days.

But it's hard to get used to the isolation. Like you, I went through a very busy period before I left, making sure everything was right and dealing with things like media interviews and queries from family and friends.

Suddenly, you start your trip and you're with no one – not a soul nearby. After about three weeks, when the routine sets in and the excitement dies down, there could be a battle to overcome loneliness.

Make sure you carry Christmas and birthday presents so you can open them on the day. Anything for some normality in a very abnormal life.

FATIGUE

I had a rule of sleeping for only 30 minutes every six hours while I travelled through the world's busiest shipping lanes in the English Channel. I was very conscious of knowing exactly what was near me and had my radar alarm set to eight nautical miles. At one time, there were 10 ships on my radar. Once you're clear of those dangers, you should be able to sleep relatively normally.

PHYSICAL STRENGTH

I had 18 months with a physical trainer to prepare me for the journey. I did a lot of upper body and cardiovascular work because there is plenty of work when on board. I knew there would be plenty of sails changed again and again. And you might have to climb the mast if there is rigging failure – you'll know that's not easy. You need physical strength for that because you're trying to work at the end of a mast which is really a big pendulum. If you happen to fall overboard, you know that it will take a lot of energy to haul yourself back on deck. And that's all without mentioning the muscle wasting in your legs. You'll know that there's not much area to take a walk.

SKILLS

You really have to be a mechanic in case something goes wrong with your diesel engine. You have to be an electrician as well in case of equipment failure. You're in a very corrosive environment and you need to know your 12 volt electronics back to front.

And you have to be a doctor. If something happens to you out there, especially when there is no one for hundreds and hundreds of miles, you have to fix yourself up. I learnt how to give myself stitches with one hand by practising on an orange. I learnt how to give myself a needle. And I had to know what all of the powerful drugs on board were to be used for.

You need to be a dietitian as well – knowing what you should eat over the journey.

You have to be a housekeeper – how many toilet rolls, how much toothpaste etc.

SAFETY CULTURE

This is the most important thing you will have – think of safety first and the action next.

You have to do everything with safety in mind – when will you be tethered, always hold on to something no matter what, keep your boat as tidy as it can be, and always, always know what vessels are around you.

MAINTENANCE

You probably know that people like Kay Cottee, who have completed this feat, were whizzes when it came to fixing all of the problems that occur on these journeys. There often seems to be something to fix and there's no one to help.

GENERAL DANGERS

And then there are things like shipping containers lurking just below the surface, whales sleeping on the surface, pirates – although you shouldn't have those worries given your route – and any number of things that can happen while you're away.

You will never be the same after this journey.

May luck be with you and may we see you back in Queensland safely.

Is it her "Dream" or her parents/supporters "Dream" she's after ?

From what I've seen, there is no way she is ready or capable of this.

boatboy50
03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Good Luck Jess,

Fair winds and calm seas to you.

I'll be there to greet you when you come back.

Darren

siegfried
03-10-2009, 07:09 PM
This guy has put into words (from his own experience) a lot of issues I've been thinking about.

Is it her "Dream" or her parents/supporters "Dream" she's after ?

From what I've seen, there is no way she is ready or capable of this.
I dont think they read that fullas letter..But i reckon they shoulda

Black_Rat
03-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Either way she will be better from the experience.

It's better to regret something you did do rather than something you didn't 8-)

Mindi
04-10-2009, 06:02 AM
I dont understand why they would rebuff the offer of advice from someone who has done it. ( Mark Carlile..?) see Dicko's post above. Surely you would take on board anyone else's similar experience.

foxx510
04-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Either way she will be better from the experience.

It's better to regret something you did do rather than something you didn't 8-)

Unless you are horribly and permanently injured doing it and regret that you didn't wait a few years, the only thing sacrificed being bragging rights about being the youngest! 8-)

This really isn't the "Tall Poppy" crap that people put this down to. People are just genuinely concerned for her welfare.

Midnight
04-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Gday,
I reckon to do it ill prepared and fail will do far more damage than to have put it off for a few years and do it when you are really ready.

I do worry most about her safety, and as I have mentioned before her physical and MENTAL well being.
This girl has MASSIVE pressure on her now to succeed, and none of that pressure will help her when the excrement hits the ventilator!

I am yet to meet someone that has sailed solo around the world that has not been a bit kookoo afterwards. The isolation and loneliness sends people mad.

I am all for sailing around the world, but do it with some mates, pick up some dodgy ones along the way, and have some fun for f@ck sake!
Who gives a damn about a world record! Thousands have people have sailed around the world solo. Being the youngest is no big deal in my view, and certainly not worth risking the safety of my child for.

Jess if you read this and I doubt you will, all the best mate sincerely, and I hope to see you safe back here on the coast! Have fun!

Cheers,
Myles

f.t.r.
04-10-2009, 10:43 PM
myles, i think you have mentioned the biggest hurdle she wil face.

i wish an honest good luck to this young girl, but i cant think about this venture without thinking of the scenes from jesse martins doco when he was literally going bananas.

you can train/ prepare for winds, waves, equipment failure etc., but the mental strain will always be an unknown.

matty.

ozbee
06-10-2009, 02:17 PM
it is sad these type of ideals can only end in tragedy if not her but the next collection of youth who try to beat her . to set out in a yacht at any age and travel the world even with a few friends is a adventure that most people can only dream about , so why turn it into one of the most dangerous journeys for so little gain. i wish you well ,a safe trip if possible with no crew to help.

black runner
06-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Having raised (still) 2 daughters - one Jessicas age, I can't stop my gut churning when I think of those moments (and they will happen) when she will be alone at the mercy of a situation beyond her control and capacity to resolve with no-one to turn to or experience to draw on.

Life experience/development is one of those things that you can only get from doing stuff over time and provides us with the tools for raising and guiding our own youngsters who haven't been there and done that, and the foundation for us to tackle the tougher stuff as we get older.

At 16 you believe you are bullet proof and know it all, and for a while this may get her through. The test of will be when the sh*t hits the fan - when seasoned mariners draw on their years (and shared knowledge from others) of ocean racing/cruising experience to do all they can to get them through - something she doesn't have.

From a psychological standpoint the clinical reality is that a 16 year old has an underdeveloped capacity for both good judgment and making sound decisions - adults are there to provide guidance and divert them away from dangerous and impulsive schemes.

If she goes I wish her the very best, that there are no regrets, and that all ends well.

foxx510
07-10-2009, 09:36 AM
The latest blog post if anyone missed it http://youngestround.blogspot.com/2009/10/dry-land-again.html

I wish she would talk more about the technical aspects of the sailing, rather than girlie things like cosmetics!

cbs
07-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm willing to give some support on this one.....

Thinking back, when I was sixteen, like many I certainly wasn't mature and some of the personal decisions I made were rather dodgy at best. I certainly couldn't drive a car, drink legally and still relied on my parents for a lot of things.

One thing I could do was.....sail.

At 16 I had already been exposed to racing for 11 years with 8 years in my own boats. first memory of being in a race was at age 5 and my parents have photographs of me in boats before that that I don't remember. At 16 I could repair and fix my own boats and was sometimes called upon to sort out the problems of boats owned by "Mature" adults. Thinking back, I cannot think of one decision I made back then whilst sailing (dinghies, trailables and the odd yacht) that lacked maturity.

Point is, this young girl is obviously a pretty independant sort and with 10000 odd logged miles offshore probably has a fair idea of what she is up against. No doulbt she has been in much worse conditions than 99% of the recreational fishing community has experienced. She has the support of a lot of people some of whom have done it before.

Hence I am willing to give the benefit of the doulbt on this one even if she has made mistakes so far. I am also fully supportive of the fact that any skipper has the sole decision to start or continue any voyage so if she cancels the whole shebang, or withdraws part way through good on her. Its her decision.

I have met two solo sailors so far. One is a household name (female) and one not so much. Both have (had for one of them) very similar personalites. Both have books of their adventures.

Australia could use its own version of Dame Ellen MacArthur. Whether she is it only time will tell but good luck to her for trying.

cbs

finding_time
07-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm willing to give some support on this one.....

Thinking back, when I was sixteen, like many I certainly wasn't mature and some of the personal decisions I made were rather dodgy at best. I certainly couldn't drive a car, drink legally and still relied on my parents for a lot of things.

One thing I could do was.....sail.

At 16 I had already been exposed to racing for 11 years with 8 years in my own boats. first memory of being in a race was at age 5 and my parents have photographs of me in boats before that that I don't remember. At 16 I could repair and fix my own boats and was sometimes called upon to sort out the problems of boats owned by "Mature" adults. Thinking back, I cannot think of one decision I made back then whilst sailing (dinghies, trailables and the odd yacht) that lacked maturity.

Point is, this young girl is obviously a pretty independant sort and with 10000 odd logged miles offshore probably has a fair idea of what she is up against. No doulbt she has been in much worse conditions than 99% of the recreational fishing community has experienced. She has the support of a lot of people some of whom have done it before.

Hence I am willing to give the benefit of the doulbt on this one even if she has made mistakes so far. I am also fully supportive of the fact that any skipper has the sole decision to start or continue any voyage so if she cancels the whole shebang, or withdraws part way through good on her. Its her decision.

I have met two solo sailors so far. One is a household name (female) and one not so much. Both have (had for one of them) very similar personalites. Both have books of their adventures.

Australia could use its own version of Dame Ellen MacArthur. Whether she is it only time will tell but good luck to her for trying.

cbs

Nice post cbs, it's well thought out and based on facts so many of the previous post including the first one have simple untruths in them, yes she does have experience, yes she does have rescue insurance so the tax payer isn't going to have to bail her out!!! ( That's one post that really annoys me!) Buy the time she get to the southern ocean she's going to have even more experience but nothing truely can prepare you for that i would think. Many asked why she didn't except the other sailors advice, she's had plenty of advice from many many experienced yachtsmen , and i think old mate Mark Carlile may have been grandstanding and try to get his 15 min , how else did he end up in the papers?????????????????::) I still have grave concerns for her but i believe if it's what she wants to do , well good on her. Lifes dangerous and there are no garantees , a week ago in the paper there was a story on Jess on page 4 and the story of a 14 tyear old girl who died in a car accident on page 5, the car was overloaded with teens and she wasn't strapped in:-[ The irony wasn't lost on me , if only the Media gave more attention to what our youth do in cars many more kids would be alive. I'm sure the scariest thing my kids will do to me is leave home with a bunch of mates in a car, that will truely terrify me!

She has a solid boat and she's not racing her biggest battle as i sad in an earlier post and other have said will be a mental one and i still think a 16 year old girl is better able to handle this than a 17 year old boy!

Best of luck again Jessica;)

Ian

cbs
07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks FT. I spent a few days considering whether to put something up here.

I agree with you on the mental challenges she will face. She will at some point get smashed with high winds and large seas and be terrified by it., she will face the heat and the cold, she will face sleep deprivation and exhaustion, she will face boredom and lonelyness. The mental battle of all this will have a large hand in determining the outcome.

cbs

Flex
07-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Best of luck to her, I hope it turns out well.

There's no way I'd undertake such a voyage, I'd probably get as far as the ribbon reefs off Lizard Island, and thats where I'd "breakdown" for a few months.:)

Apollo
07-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Good post cbs. I agree with you as to the level of maturity sailors can get at a young age. At 16, i was skippering expensive yachts with mature crew (5-6) to control and thinking about it now, it was a fair amount of responsibility for a kid. I didn't start ocean racing, cruising and delivering until I hit 20. Even then (and most likely now), I would not have been capable of doing what this young lady is attempting. I agree, she is in the right boat to attempt it. The SS34s are a very seaworthy boat. As posted earlier, I fear for her, but wish her a safe return.

Steve

brisbane_boy
07-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Does anyone know if fishing tackle makers have supplied any for the trip?

Finding time makes pitbull marlin lures there a soft rubber monster, theres quiet a few models in his range from 6 inches through to the monster 14 incher, a new sport like fishing would help ease the bordeom and loneliness faced on this trip for sure.

imagine a sticker on the side of the ella pink lady advertising your 14 inch plunger Ian;D

darkside
08-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Does anyone know if fishing tackle makers have supplied any for the trip?

Finding time makes pitbull marlin lures there a soft rubber monster, theres quiet a few models in his range from 6 inches through to the monster 14 incher, a new sport like fishing would help ease the bordeom and loneliness faced on this trip for sure.

imagine a sticker on the side of the ella pink lady advertising your 14 inch plunger Ian;D

Yes Ian, your 14" "plunger" would look fantastic on the side of her boat.

O-3
10-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Who is Jessica Watkins???

Never heard of her.

foxx510
17-10-2009, 04:40 PM
She's going to be on 60mins tomorrow night if anyone is interested.

Also, she's setting off tomorrow. Really hoping it all works out for her.

seatime
20-10-2009, 08:15 PM
ATSB preliminary report:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/739587/mo2009008_prelim.pdf

black runner
20-10-2009, 08:44 PM
ATSB preliminary report:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/739587/mo2009008_prelim.pdf

Well at least she kept calm, assessed the situation, recovered and went on. Notwithstanding the final outcome of the investigation, Jessica seems to have taken it all in her stride. There would be plenty who would have been put off by the whole experience.

ozscott
20-10-2009, 09:04 PM
She seemed like a really nice kid on that 60 mins interview and seems to have the confidence of at least 2 VERY experienced around the world solo yachties on that show at least. To say its a big ask is an understatement....I hope she does it or at the least does not get injured/killed/decompensate trying.

Cheers

sleepygreg
20-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I have her blog in my favourites list and will be following her every step along the way. Its the Aussie way to 'have a go', sure its dangerous, from both the physical and mental points of view...but she has more solo experience than many previous ATW solo sailors, which seems to be lost on some critics. she could do something far more dangerous...like going to a party with her friends and getting into a car overloaded with pissed teenagers!!!!!!!!!!!!! If she makes it I will be cheering her into port, if she pulls pulls out half way through, good on her for having the guts to 'have a go', if the worst happens....then I will be sad and shed a tear....but I wont be angry, because she took a calculated risk doing something she loved and chasing a dream......I was reminded of the difference between her and others her age as I was driving through redcliffe today and watching girls and boys her age swinging on bus stop poles trying to pull them down and throwing things at passing cars......then ther is my own niece...her age...and wants to teach indigineous kids in remote communities....these are the future of our great land...not the mall kids.

Apollo
21-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Saw a article of a young lass (13) that was planing to attempt the same thing. Can remember her country of origin, but it was in Europe. She had grown up on yachts (actually born on one) and had traveled extensively with her folks on their yacht and had been doing solo trips since 10. Her attempt has been scuttled by the authorities and her parents have been either threatened or actually charged with child neglect. Mine you, she was looking to do it in a 26'er.

Safe winds Jessica. I fear for you, but wish you safety.

Steve

Bunter
21-10-2009, 07:38 AM
It has been said that on the trial run to NZ she had an observer onboard with her and that he did not help. But did she have to face the same storm and sea conditions that will be infront of her on the real trip.
bill

finding_time
04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Just thought i would bump this back up to the top of the pile again, below is a link to her position atm ( near French Polynesia) Seems like all is going well atm but the big stuff starts soon, fingers crossed!

Ian

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/the-voyage

Noelm
04-12-2009, 11:54 AM
she has a good boat, good backup (on land) and should be fine, I am sure she will face bad weather, but having the right boat will be on her side, and all sorts of mental drama, but she is in constant contact with others so she is only alone in a sort fo way, best of luck I reckon.

DAN-SK
04-12-2009, 01:36 PM
maybe anna bligh should join her, the way shes going she will either swim or drown

Mister
04-12-2009, 07:21 PM
maybe anna bligh should join her, the way shes going she will either swim or drown

Instead of anna and her ants mouthing off with so called parental "advise" probably JW could give anna some good advise ?

finding_time
04-12-2009, 07:36 PM
You can bet that when Jessica gets back ol ' Anna's there for the photo oppertunity!! Pollies make me sick, and that woman is the worst of a bad lot!

BR65
04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Some interesting posts.
For what its worth, my view is good on her, go hard.
I wish her all the luck in the world, theres no doubt she will need it at times, but what an adventure, what a life changing experience, why wouldnt you have a go if you could?

dec0guy
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Whatever anyone says (or writes up anonymously on internet forums!) she is living is her dreams which is a lot more than a heck of a lot of people 3 times her age manage to do!

I don't think anyone claims the journey is risk free, and obviously she has accepted those risks and is willing to continue, and I hope she makes it and tells all the doubters to *&%# off when they will undoubtly try to grab a slice of her glory when when returns. Though she seems too nice a girl and not sure if 16 yo girls would ever swear like that??

O-3
05-12-2009, 01:52 AM
But who the hell is Jessica Watkins?

finding_time
05-12-2009, 08:55 AM
But who the hell is Jessica Watkins?

Thats Jessica Watsons more accident prone and more controversial evil twin!!;) ;) I think TPP made a few errors inhis first post and that was one!

ian

O-3
22-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Just catching up on her blog (http://www.youngestround.blogspot.com)
Wow..what a pic:

sleepygreg
23-12-2009, 12:05 AM
She is going well so far. The tough test will happen over the next 20 days as she rounds the cape. I wish her well and will continue to follow her progress through her blog and website. The mast climbing was a good drill to prepare her for what may lay ahead, and a good shakedown of her equipment before the manure hits the turbines...as it invariably does to any solo sailor.

Go well Jess.

Greg

O-3
23-12-2009, 02:15 AM
before the manure hits the turbines...as it invariably does to any solo sailor.

I think around that time all the Knockers will come out to express their opinion on the matter.

Wonder where they all went??..LOL

PS. Sent the Mods a request for this thread to be renamed with her real name.
No response yet.

finding_time
08-01-2010, 07:37 PM
For all those that dont follow her site she now has under 500nm till she rounds Cape Horn, She's doing a great job so far!

www.jessicawatson.com.au/the-voyage (http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/the-voyage)

Ian

sleepygreg
09-01-2010, 12:23 AM
I read it every night....wouldnt miss it...and i get a little anxious when she misses a days post. I wish her base crew would fill in the blanks on those days she doesnt post, as we all know she in sat-phone contact with them every day.

She has already proven she is one tough little cookie, and quite a competent sailor.

Go Well Jess

Greg

trymyluck
09-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I'd have to say that she has sunk the knockers who said she would be lucky to get out of Australian waters. She is a winner already as far as i'm concerned.

Mark

finding_time
09-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I'd have to say that she has sunk the knockers who said she would be lucky to get out of Australian waters. She is a winner already as far as i'm concerned.

Mark

Mark.. I dont think those knockers a far away, first mishap and they'll be firing of there cheap shots.;) But she's already done 9500 nm of her 23000nm total so most would have to agree she has quite a bit of experience now:D Go Girl!;)

Ian

ps.

It is very interesting rereading this thread from the start, and seeing some of the comments though!

Chamelion
09-01-2010, 01:12 PM

Mark

As someone who has proudly been behind her since the start I find it extremely amusing at just how quiet the knockers have gone... I guess they're sitting in the woodwork waiting for something to happen so they can again come out and blast her for chasing a dream.

Matt.

mod5
09-01-2010, 01:14 PM
As someone who has proudly been behind her since the start I find it extremely amusing at just how quiet the knockers have gone... I guess they're sitting in the woodwork waiting for something to happen so they can again come out and blast her for chasing a dream.

Matt.

I reckon you could be right there. She's doing real well.

Marlin_Mike
09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
I will admit, I was one of the big knockers at the beginning. I humbly suck eggs and admit i WAS WRONG. ::)

Shes killing them and every mile she does gives her more experience to combat what may confront her on the rest of the journey. Best of luck to her, hope she goes the distance.;D

Mike

Mister
09-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I just had a read of page 1 and see what you mean by where are the knockers now, they were certainly into it at the start!

Chamelion
09-01-2010, 09:04 PM
I will admit, I was one of the big knockers at the beginning. I humbly suck eggs and admit i WAS WRONG. ::)

Shes killing them and every mile she does gives her more experience to combat what may confront her on the rest of the journey. Best of luck to her, hope she goes the distance.;D

Mike

+1 respect to you Mike.

Matt.

Horse
09-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Matt.

I still think her parents are losers for letting her go. With her skills and previous experience she was always a 95% odds on to complete the journey without mishap. I certainly hope that the 5% does not catch up with her on the rest of her voyage.
I value my daughters too highly to expose them to that sort of risk to get their 5 mins of fame. At their age they would be up for anything. Most of us lived through experiences that seemed like a good idea at the time. Hopefully this kid makes it too

Jarrah Jack
11-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Impossible to read all the motivations of others but perhaps the parents are winners in the end to let that spark flourish. Jessica is much braver than I will ever be to go round the horn single handed and the parents are very brave for enabling her do it.

trymyluck
11-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Impossible to read all the motivations of others but perhaps the parents are winners in the end to let that spark flourish. Jessica is much braver than I will ever be to go round the horn single handed and the parents are very brave for enabling her do it.

Would have to be one of the hardest things to do as a parent, letting your kids do something that is potentially life threatening if something goes wrong. Just one of the things you have to go through as a parent.
Mark

TJ Bear
11-01-2010, 05:38 PM
I say all respect to the parents for providing her with the skills and confidence to push the boundaries. Yes I have little girls and yes I would support them 110 percent if they wanted to do the same. Kids die from drug overdoses, riding dirt bikes, riding horses etc etc. You can't protect them you can just hope to give them the skills and confidence to make good decissions and the confidence to walk to the beat of there own drum and not listen to the knockers. I was surfing in Indo and the North Shore of Hawaii without my parents on sponsered surf trips when I was 15, best experiences of my life. so girl give them some stick and respect to the parents

finding_time
13-01-2010, 10:29 PM
latest news from her site,

JESSICA CONQUERS CAPE HORN!

Wednesday, 13 January 2010 (10.00pm AEDT)
We are incredibly proud to announce that Jessica Watson has conquered the Mount Everest of the maritime world by rounding Cape Horn this evening at 8.40pm (AEDT), doing so in 40 knot winds, mist, drizzle and a bumpy 4 metre sea.
However, the miserable conditions have not dampened the spirits of this inspirational 16 year old who is having the time of her life out there!
The predicted gales hit as scheduled today and Jessica has been sailing in 30-40 knot winds for the past 24 hours, but they are expected to abate soon as she heads north east towards the Falklands.
Jessica has now sailed 9,800nm on day 88 of her solo circumnavigation as she approaches the half way mark of her journey. Whilst there is much work still to do for Jessica, this day is one she will never forget.
Fnally, a huge thank you to all the loyal bloggers for your wonderful contributions to Jessica’s journey to date. The image below is a tribute to Jessica and her team on behalf of all the bloggers, from blogger Samurai (Sam).
More detailed updates on Jessica’s rounding will be posted tomorrow (AEDT).

O-3
14-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Wow, great effort.
Amazing stuff for a 16 year old girl.

Time to knock the rest off and bring home the world record.
Green and gold all the way!

If only the mods could manage to rename the thread correctly.
Lance Umstrong all the way son.:D

brisbane_boy
14-01-2010, 11:50 AM
shes doing well, havnt seen her on the cap't website yet8-)