PDA

View Full Version : Cat owners or experts

hinchy
26-09-2009, 09:45 AM
A couple of questions for those in the know that can shed some light on issues 1.Can cats be overpowered?
2. What detrimental effects occur when motors with too much weight are installed on cats [even though the recommended HP is not exceeded]?An example of this would be putting 70hp 4 stroke suzuki's on a KC 5.2.
These subjects have probably received a little bit of air before,however I can not find where they have been considered concurrently.
With the advent of newer much lighter 4 stokes these questions to an extent diminish in importance,however repowering with older second hand engines [that are now affordable] poses some questions.
Comments would be appreciated.

Hinchy

hinchy
27-09-2009, 10:12 AM
A couple of questions for those in the know that can shed some light on issues 1.Can cats be overpowered?
2. What detrimental effects occur when motors with too much weight are installed on cats [even though the recommended HP is not exceeded]?An example of this would be putting 70hp 4 stroke suzuki's on a KC 5.2.
These subjects have probably received a little bit of air before,however I can not find where they have been considered concurrently.
With the advent of newer much lighter 4 stokes these questions to an extent diminish in importance,however repowering with older second hand engines [that are now affordable] poses some questions.
Comments would be appreciated.

Hinchy

Have all of the cat owners lost their claws,just looking for some information,don't want to start a war.

Hinchy

finding_time
27-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Hey hinchy missed the thread!

Mate if i was going to go for the 70 suki i would get the 90's put on instead similar weight but alot more push, I think wayne ( kittycat would be able to answer the weight question well he used to have hondas 75'5 on his and they were 175 kg each from memory and has now gone to suki 90's at 150 kgs , so more power less weight. I run the yami 60's and at 119 kg there alot lighter, the performance figures of these motors are well known , i generally run at around 23 -24 knots and top out at 29-30 , yes some day i would like more but not that often and as most of my sea hrs are trolling the 60's are about perfect and if i went again i would probably get 60's again. Waynes boat seems fine with the 90's although it's still down at the bum imho , how that makes it handle i'm not sure but again he'll be the one to tell you. If you go the bigger motors some bigger pods will be the order of the day and as far as power rating goes , Kevlarcat will issue you another complience plate to 90 hp i believe!

Cheers ian

Flex
27-09-2009, 11:07 AM
I have a mate with a 6.2KC with twin 140's on the back, his is a centre console. so alot lighter than normal.

Even though the 140's are light, if you have 2 people down the back alot of water comes in the scuppers(wet deck) and his engines sit very low in the water.

One of his pods filled up offshore one day and sunk his outboards to just below the intake, which caused issues with the trim and tilk relay inside.

Speed wise he gets about 95km per hour which is scary as hell.
but if he wants to travel at 25-30knots he is almost revving to low and I think labouring the engines a little? so its almost waisted horse power when he re-props

Dean1
27-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Ian Kevlacat is actually spelt without the 'r' ;D ;D

Hinchy I think one of the downfalls with too much weight would be water coming in through the scuppers at rest.

Also trim would be affected and handling too a certain extent.

But the heavy hondas would cause all this id say im unsure about 155kg motors.

I know a guy on here has early 75 zukes on his 5.2 and has no complaints, but it would also depend on what pods you are running ;)

finding_time
27-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Ian Kevlacat is actually splelt without the 'r' ;D ;D

;)

yep , big head ache today toooooooo much beer yesterday!:-[

hinchy
27-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Hey hinchy missed the thread!

Mate if i was going to go for the 70 suki i would get the 90's put on instead similar weight but alot more push, I think wayne ( kittycat would be able to answer the weight question well he used to have hondas 75'5 on his and they were 175 kg each from memory and has now gone to suki 90's at 150 kgs , so more power less weight. I run the yami 60's and at 119 kg there alot lighter, the performance figures of these motors are well known , i generally run at around 23 -24 knots and top out at 29-30 , yes some day i would like more but not that often and as most of my sea hrs are trolling the 60's are about perfect and if i went again i would probably get 60's again. Waynes boat seems fine with the 90's although it's still down at the bum imho , how that makes it handle i'm not sure but again he'll be the one to tell you. If you go the bigger motors some bigger pods will be the order of the day and as far as power rating goes , Kevlarcat will issue you another complience plate to 90 hp i believe!

Cheers ian

Hi Ian
Thanks for the reply.Kevlacat recommended HP for the 5.2 I believe was 50 to 90hp and I assumed that this would have related to 2 stroke motors at that time.60hp 4 stroke hi thrust yammies appear from all feedback to suit these boats to a tee.Do you consider that these engines provide sufficient grunt for bar crossings with the boat fully loaded?

Hi Flex
Thanks for your imput.I assume that the 140's would be 4 strokes and possibly over the recommended HP that the 6.2 can carry.Certainly would make it a rocketship,would like to see some pic's of how the boat sits in the water at rest!

Hi Dean

Thanks for your reply.I can imagine that motors that weigh between 155kg and 175kg would make the 5.2 sit very low in the water with the standard pods.Could it be assumed that the larger pods fitted to the 5.2's would carry this increased load?
From my limited experience I have found that most scuppers on cats do not take kindly to being partially underwater and tend to want to leak water back into the boat.uncomfortable at most times.

Kind Regards

Hinchy

finding_time
27-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi Ian
Thanks for the reply.Kevlacat recommended HP for the 5.2 I believe was 50 to 90hp and I assumed that this would have related to 2 stroke motors at that time.60hp 4 stroke hi thrust yammies appear from all feedback to suit these boats to a tee.Do you consider that these engines provide sufficient grunt for bar crossings with the boat fully loaded?

Kind Regards

Hinchy

Hinchy

Mate there have been occasions more grunt would be nice but what i've got is fine. I'm not a great believer in holeshot and bars, if the bars that bad that you are going to need more speed between the sets dont cross the bloody thing, exerience if far far more important. The day that really convinced me i had enough power was comming in through the GoldCoast sea way , conditions were terrible it had been blowing for 2 days beforehand and while we were out the wind picked uo to 30 knots and gusting to 45 knots( seaway tower report no our guess) The comp we were fishing was called of and we had to cross back over the seaway during the middle of a large run out:o we picked the set , picked our wave and sat right on the back of it, all was going great until it disapeared from in front of the boat and reformed right behind the boat, typical pressure wave stuff! It was about 3m and starting to curl went the throttles hit the dash and we were right is the suck, yet the boat jumped forward and we got out of the danger spot quite easily, theres a fair bit of grip on the water with 2 props. After that the 60's have always been fine for me!;) Kittycat boat is a rocket ship though and on the real nice days it would be great to be doing 40+ knots8-)

ian

kitty_cat
27-09-2009, 04:48 PM
hey hinchy,
ian has covered most of the questions my boat was very wet deck with the hondas but the suzukis at 158kg is fine untill esky is full and 3 -4 blokes stand right down the back corners but even then still not bad but there is water coming in the scupper (depends on weather parachute how fat the anglers are ect)
over power is not a issue we can push 40+knots but the best thing is the low revs we sit on at the momement during gereral motoring the boat hardly works at all ,therefore long term better lifespan as they will have a reasonably easy life exept i just cant stay off the throttles . lower revs also means less fuel consumption and more range very important to us again so long as you stay off the throttles.

wayne

boatboy50
27-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Hey Bob,

Have you got a 5.2 in mid again, or something else.?

Darren

Mister
27-09-2009, 06:23 PM
1. Can cats be overpowered?

Any expert could only answer YES

2. What detrimental effects occur when motors with too much weight are installed on cats [even though the recommended HP is not exceeded]?

Stuffed engines any expert knows this one

With the advent of newer much lighter 4 stokes these questions to an extent diminish in importance

Yeah? No!

I have a mate with a 6.2KC with twin 140's on the back, his is a centre console. so a lot lighter than normal.

Must be a gen x/y thing, hard to educate gen x/y they know it alls.

hinchy
27-09-2009, 06:54 PM
hey hinchy,
ian has covered most of the questions my boat was very wet deck with the hondas but the suzukis at 158kg is fine untill esky is full and 3 -4 blokes stand right down the back corners but even then still not bad but there is water coming in the scupper (depends on weather parachute how fat the anglers are ect)
over power is not a issue we can push 40+knots but the best thing is the low revs we sit on at the momement during gereral motoring the boat hardly works at all ,therefore long term better lifespan as they will have a reasonably easy life exept i just cant stay off the throttles . lower revs also means less fuel consumption and more range very important to us again so long as you stay off the throttles.

wayne

Hi Wayne

Thank you for the info.I assume from Ian's comments that you have 90 Hp suzuki 4 strokes on a 5.2.
A couple of questions
1.Do you have the bigger pods?
2.Does the extra weight in the rear require different motor trimming?
3.Are your batteries stored at the rear of the boat in the battery compartments?
4.Do you purposely load the boat to offset the extra weight in the rear?
5.What is your fuel consumption at cruise [say 22/23knt ] with an average load?

Kind Regards

Hinchy

Noelm
28-09-2009, 08:58 AM
OK, here goes my thoughts on all this, can they be over powered, not with 70's that's for sure, extra weight in the back is always a drama with most cats, the drowning of motors and forever wet decks has been covered here, but just to add, once you are up an the plane, and do not just floor the throttles, then in some ways, you could never overpower a Cat, but being realistic, weight in the stern will be your enemy!

hinchy
28-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey Bob,

Have you got a 5.2 in mid again, or something else.?

Darren
Hi Darren

Have got a couple of options that I am looking at.Will give you a call later in the week.

Hinchy

kitty_cat
29-09-2009, 04:38 PM
hey mate

1.yes bigger pods are a must inc engine trim room for the bigger 4 strokes my 90s will fully trim up without hitting anything (had to move rear step a bit )

2.i have gone from heavier hondas 186kg to 158kg but have skippered 60hp as well no difference but both ride better with laser foils to give you bigger trim tabs effect.

3.batterys still at back

4.deffenatly had to with hondas but suzukis are fine untill eskys are really full 200kgs+ or deckies to fat.

5.best true figue i can give you is 0.9ltrs fuel per klm between the 2 motors this is averaged out over say 10 good fishing trips in all sorts of weather.

hope it helps
if you are in the southside of brisbane area come over and have a look

wayne