PDA

View Full Version : 115 etec getting hot

ad heeney
26-09-2009, 09:38 AM
hi fellas gota115 etec that over heats when off the plane from around 4 /6 knots ,was out in the bay a few weeks ago looking for wrecks to fish when i noticsd that the 115 was overheating or getting hot 70,then up to 80 , looked again 90......98 so stop at and idled temp came down , started sounding again the same thing happened , so i trimed the 115 right down and the temp stade in the 60 70s, when on the plane no warries 50....60s temp, water pump seams to be working but sometimes look like theres only a tickle comeing out of it when looking around for new fishing spots, any thougts on the high temp poogie

Chimo
26-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Have you pulled the cover off and felt each head to see if they are the same or different?

Had issues with one head on one 115 Evinrude motor (not etec so not sure if the thermostat set up has been changed) and it was to do with the thermostat housing.

I'd check temps on the heads first to see if all the same at your different speeds and then work from there if it was me.

Also whats the history with the water pump impeller? Motor hasn't been run out of the water has it?

Also the water intakes are fully clear ?

Cheers
Chimo

robothefisho
26-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Id be thinking impellor. Even 50 to 60 running along seems hot.

ad heeney
26-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Have you pulled the cover off and felt each head to see if they are the same or different?

Had issues with one head on one 115 Evinrude motor (not etec so not sure if the thermostat set up has been changed) and it was to do with the thermostat housing.

I'd check temps on the heads first to see if all the same at your different speeds and then work from there if it was me.

Also whats the history with the water pump impeller? Motor hasn't been run out of the water has it?

Also the water intakes are fully clear ?

Cheers
Chimohad the etec running just now both heads were the same by fealing them temp got to 70 then started to come down slowly ran for about 15min but etec under no load ,looked at the water intake clear of nay obst ruction as for running the etec without water always start the 115 in the water at ramp and home with the muffs on, i know once the hose was kinked but there was still water coming threw the 115 the phone rang distraced me for about 10mins , as i was coning out of the door i saw there was not to much water coming out of thr 115 jump up in the boat looked at the temp was 85 but soon after temp came down after unkinking the hose could that have caused the overheating, poogie .

Chimo
26-09-2009, 11:47 AM
If it was me, after phone call, I would be replacing the impeller as its possibly been damaged in the few minutes the motor ran dry (ish).

NEVER leave a motor running thru muffs unattended!

Cheers
Chimo

siegfried
26-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Back to the dealer mate dont touch it get em to run diagnostics check pump impellor and for blockages throuhout cooling system, then trade it in a suzuki ;D

INDULGENCE
06-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Interested in knowing the outcome, would seem I have same problem with new motor

Wally

lethal098
06-12-2010, 10:32 AM
I would think time for impellor.

Steeler
06-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Hate to tell ya but i kinked hose can do all sorts to think it can't is wishful thinking big time.

Jarrah Jack
06-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Grit jamming the thermostat can have a similiar effect.

Nathan Tuskes
06-12-2010, 02:50 PM
ive been in another boat with a 130 etec and the temp varied alot depending upon speed/ engine load: idling just in gear saw 65-70, 2000rpm-2500rpm saw 85 which then tapered off to 75 at full throttle

my 3.2DID triton runs a water temp of around 86 so i don;t think you have to much to worry about untill its get over 95

Scott nthQld
06-12-2010, 03:04 PM
I went through this with my engine not long ago, different brand, but you can check and replace the simple things yourself.

First, check the intake strainers on the leg, they might be blocked, easy to do, only one bolt to remove. From there, without having to pull too much off, take the cowl off and check all external water lines for kinks, damage and deterioration, then check the thermostat, 2 bolts on mine to remove the cover and pop out the thermostat with a set of pliers. To check its working correctly, boil the jug, and pour some boiling water into a glass and drop the thermostat in, should open almost instantly. If stat is good, just have a quick look in the chamber to see if their is any build up, if so, wash it out with a bit of water, if salt build up, use hot water to help disolve the salt. Once all clear, put the thermostat back in and put motor back together.

From here take off the leg and check you impeller, also do a visual inspection of any gaskets and the water pump housing, they maybe damaged somehow and are stopping enough water getting through.

For the motor to be overheating underload, it suggests a blockage somewhere or a dodgy impeller, just before you go taking the leg off, check the real easy stuff first

Sillaginid
06-12-2010, 04:33 PM
We had the same thing happen on one of our boats recently. The new E-tec kept heating up at low speeds, but the temp plunged rapidly once up on the plane. We initially thought that it was a blocked or faulty thermostat, but our Evinrude technician seemed to think that the newer engines are set up to run hotter to help burn the emissions better and allow the engines to meet the new European standards

culbara
06-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Check the eppth of the motor when on plane as it may be set too high and not getting enough water cavitation plate should be just flush with top or slightly under

julian1
06-12-2010, 08:25 PM
i thought itwas a known issue with the earlier Etec's, i;m sure there is a fix to do with thte thermostats and software ??? any Etec guru's on here

CHEE-FEE
06-12-2010, 08:33 PM
It will be the water pump housing. They were a poor fit out of the factory. They were not snug, which let water past the pump, creating steam all round the motor, and, consequently, overheating. Get this replaced under warranty (if applicable; and it is a warranty item) and all will be well.

Cheers,
NICK.