PDA

View Full Version : Swags

mitch92
25-09-2009, 07:19 PM
Wondering peoples opinion on what swag would be a good one. Dont like the dome ones too much, would be mainly thrown in the back of the ute and just rolled out in the tray to sleep in, or beside the ute. Any opinions?? Have some seen some nice looking ones at great outdoors centre. Budget up to about 200-300.

mitch92
26-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Any opinions?

GBC
27-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Have a look at the Ultima general purpose. Just spent a month in mine - still like new.
Next swag I get will be one of the dome ones though - simply to provide enough airflow on freezing nights so that the condensation doesn't soak me.

mitch92
27-09-2009, 09:42 PM
The ultima i cant find a picture or description of at the moment. Anyone heard of Mr Swagman? http://www.mrswagman.com.au/premium-original.shtml
seems to be an alright sort of swag??

Guido
01-10-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm a first time swagger and bought one a month ago. BCF had a 20% off sale on all swags. I did a bit of looking around and it was hard to beat. Ended up with a king size model, BFC brand Kilroy(?) and has the pointed head, eyes both ends to tie up, built in insect mesh, zips both sides and pvc base. Suits me fine and was only $215 (down from $269).

Guido

STUIE63
01-10-2009, 10:24 AM
mate go and talk to your local upholsterer if he is any good then he will have made a heap and will be able to advise just make sure you get a good mattress
Stuie

TheRealAndy
01-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I have one that has ends that can be held up with a pole.. Never use the poles. One thing I reckon would be good is the ability to zip some insect mesh for summer use. Swags are way too hot to be zipped up in during summer.

Thing to look for is a good matress, this is most important.

mitch92
02-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Ended up with a Down Under "buffalo" Swag. Insect mesh at both head and foot end, can be put up with poles at head or foot end, and tied off. Seems good value

sleepygreg
02-10-2009, 10:01 PM
I have a Downunder Kakadu....not sure if they still make that model...mine is 12 years old...but a bloody good swag....insect mesh included, multiple zips for ventilation, and can use either poles or ropes to hold up ends. Still going strong, but i havent used it for ages. Good matress is important....I use a self inflating 2".

Greg

Ps : I also always carry a 'fly', so that when it rains I can steel leave the vents open and not get wet.

Swindells
06-10-2009, 12:28 PM
I miss my old swag

hooknose
21-10-2009, 08:19 PM
oztrail mitchell swag, champion !!!, as sleepygreg saysuse with a fly or hootchie and you wont go past it in any weather, the dome with full mesh is the only way to go in the tropics particularly in full on sandfly and mossie areas( all the best fishing spots we go to )

blaze
21-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I will second the Mitchell, fold the canvas back when its hot, zip it in the cold. Dont believe all they say about not being able to see through the mesh if you tend to sleep in the buff.
cheers
blaze

Moffy
22-10-2009, 05:46 PM
if you are up Cairns way - Lanskey's saddlery makes the best around (IMO) - nice simple swags - no mesh to tear, no tie ups etc - just lots of high quality canvas - i usually just through the top canvas over - absolutely brilliant - no light but fully breathable - got mine for my 21st and its been all over the cape and beyond many times in the last 14+ years - have a second one that's probably 5 years old and its still as new. i just chuck another mattress in as the old one gets thinner (have 2 x 25mm high density foam plus 15mm soft foam in mine and its better than sleeping in my bed at home!!) - roll it out in a mozzie dome for the sandies.

Giving it another run in 3 weeks time - fishing north of weipa for a week - sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!.

Moffy

barrabart
25-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Do yourself a favour and head down to your local foam rubber dealer, buy yourself some "proper" high density foam, a piece for a swag will cost around $80 but it's worth it, the stuff i got is green and 50mm thick, i'm a big fat bastard, hehe, and i don't bottom out when sleeping on it, swag still rolls up to about the same size too.

OISTA
30-11-2009, 10:44 AM
I have 2 swags, a Saul Swags bedroll and a Burke and Wills Coolabah Double Dome.

Saul is a great simple swag that you just unclip, roll out and sleep where as the Burke and Wills takes more time to set up but is cooler to sleep in and can fit the missus too!

smashed crabs
02-12-2009, 08:44 AM
There is a place in bundy that sells the good gear mate ,Bundaberg Camping World they make thier own, i have had mine now for 6years , make sure you get a least 20weight canvas( heavy duty). Also the best swag to get is the old style double flap, no zippers. double flap swags are great for when you sleep in the rain or in below zero camp out.As the name sugest you have two layers to fold in over the top of you for when conditions get tough. i have been sleeping outside under the stars for atleast 250days every year for the last 18years and have found the simple double flap swag with no zipper to be the easiest and best , i have only owned two swags one was a hand me down from my father and the one i bought from bundy, Some mongrel stole me first one>:(

heres a photo of me mate tucked away in a double flap swag , below zero in the dessert( note the ice on the swag, the big ugly bastard getting the milk from the fridge is me and my kitchen, also a photo of my last ute for no reason at all