PDA

View Full Version : cleaning clears

trueblue
25-09-2009, 09:12 AM
how do people clean their clears?

just worried about scratching them, or affecting the plastic with a cleaning chemical by mistake

cheers

Mick

propdinger
25-09-2009, 09:44 AM
vuplex and a soft cloth is they only way to go imo. vuplex was recommended by Dave (blackend ) when he done my boat
can be bought from most marine joints got mine from BIAS

TOPAZ
25-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Mick,

Wash them with a mild detergent to remove dirt and salt spray, rinse and let dry.
Then apply Plexus spray (expensive, but easily the best) to make water repellant, and keep them clear.
Mr Sheen is a cheaper, but not quite as good alternative.

Richard

PADDLES
25-09-2009, 09:49 AM
i just use water and a cloth nappy or beach towel (make sure there's no sand in it). the stuff dave recomended sounds the goods though

Chimo
25-09-2009, 10:58 AM
I've used Plexus and Mr Sheen when is been close handy and out of the Plexus.

Never had to replace a clear yet, last boat 9 yrs, this one 10yrs.

Plexus is the go IMHO and Vulpex, which I've never used, is probably similar in another brand so either or is probably the go.

One of my neighbours is a car boat yacht bus etc detailer and he sells Plexus *(which he recommends) to me at cost plus so I'll stick with it

Cheers
Chimo

Kero
25-09-2009, 11:10 AM
I just use water and a micro-fibre cloth (similar to Enjo brand). Clean them with one cloth and then dry them with another. They come up spotless. I used to use detergent, but it leaves a film/streaks on the clears.

Blackened
25-09-2009, 03:45 PM
G'day

As mentioned, soft cloth and Vuplex... use after they've been washed down with a good car wash/boat soap and dried.

Vuplex/Plexus is the go because it protects and seals the surface, thus preventing further contamination.

Vuplex is my choice, mainly because it was developed by an ex plexus employee and is aussie developed as far as i'm aware. It's also cheaper.

Dave

trueblue
25-09-2009, 04:23 PM
is dishwashing liquid ok for washing them prior to using the vuplex?

I normally use dishwashing liquid soap for washing the boat.

cheers

Mick

Blackened
25-09-2009, 05:58 PM
G'day

IMO don't use dish washing liquid, it's designed to strip all sorts of layers, especially protective ones like waxes and the like. Use it and you may as well not bother with vuplex, let alone wax your boat.

Dave

rat_catcher
26-09-2009, 04:45 AM
I would add another vote for Plexus, but they have to be cleaned properly first.