PDA

View Full Version : buying a tinny

adaml1754
24-09-2009, 10:05 PM
hey guys

I'm in the market for a boat at the moment, I am willing to spend about $8000 maximum on a boat. few requirements are that I have a small shed to store it in, just a single park shed but it only has about 1800mm of height clearance, and its also a fairly tight street i live on too. 12 foot minimum. fairly new, dont want any drama's. I have been looking around and have found 2 that interest me

http://cunninghamsmarine.boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=7701112

http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=7382563

the only thing about them is i would like to mount some rod holders on the gunnels but there isn't any, is there another option?

just seeing what you guys thought of them. how are the 2st suzie and merc outboards? servicing costs? is it an ok price?

i live at manly west brissy so i would like a boat that i can take out in the bay on average/ good days and also take up the brissy river and up some tighter canals.

I was leaning towards an alloy boat because I can easily fab extra things for it as i'm a boily.

is there anything else i am missing?

cheers guys adam

funkngroovy
25-09-2009, 07:44 AM
You gotta go for the reel mate.

Cheapest new tinnie that size you'll see. Also 3mm bottom.

You can also get them from other dealers with different options and motors so check out what they have to offer.

I

robersl
25-09-2009, 08:12 AM
also you could ask about getting gunnels put on the boat will not be that much more price wise on the unpainted boat

shane

FNQCairns
25-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Of those two I agree with above, the allycraft is the pick.

cheers fnq

PADDLES
25-09-2009, 08:46 AM
hi adam, i'll throw a differing opinion into the mix. i reckon go the brooker for a couple of reasons. firstly it's fully set up and ready to go, there's a full floor, front and rear platforms, a sounder, battery and seats. a lot of this stuff will not be included in the alleycraft and may cost you between $1000 and $1500 or maybe more to buy. check exactly what is in the alleycraft package, like it says in the advert, there's stuff shown that isn't in the standard package.

now as far as buying something second hand vs. new. as long as cunningham's are offering a warranty of some sort and have got the service records then the motor should be fine. as for the hull, battery and electronics then put it this way, they've been in business for a long time, there's no way they want you to be unhappy by selling you a piece of krap so you can come on a site like this and hammer them with bad publicity. plus also there should be more room to move in the price of a second hand (assuming as traded) package and a new package

Swindells
25-09-2009, 08:47 AM
I'd be going for the allycraft.

Scott Ashe
25-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi mate,

If I was you I would be going for the Allycraft "Reel Mate". I ordered mine back in June from Karee marine at Rocklea. Mine is fitted with a 30 Yamaha 2009 4 stroke with electric start and tilt. Had it in the water twice are more than happy with it so far. I decided on this because of the extra features that came stanard. It's my 3rd Allycraft. It sits on a Redco Sportsman Trailer also supplied by wynnum marine.

Cheers
Scott

Flex
25-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Before you buy, do yourself a favour and look at some tinny's with full gunnels and pedestal seats.

Not having 2 big arsed bench seats in your boat makes it 10 times more enjoyable o fish from IMO. I would never again by a tinny with bench seats.

You also get the added bonus of being able to put rod holders in the gunnels.

The brooker does have pedalstals, but without a full supporting gunnel I question its strength.

There a quite a few brands that do a 4.1-4.3m boat with a full flat floor(casting deck in some) and full top gunnels.

adaml1754
25-09-2009, 05:32 PM
thank you all who replied,
I'm just now convincing myself i need a boat for summer. i ran the dealer (bugger i forgot his name) today sounded like a top bloke very knowledgeable. the new ally craft has a 6 week waiting list. going to do some running around tomorrow to some local dealers and have a look at the other boat. the package on the ally craft is engine, trailer, motor and saftey gear and rego.

rosco1974
25-09-2009, 05:33 PM
mate go and have a look at wondall road marine they have 4.2mtr packages for around the same price
cheers rosco

adaml1754
25-09-2009, 05:48 PM
cheers rosco (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?u=48585) i completely forgot about those guys

gr hilly
25-09-2009, 06:30 PM
g,day adam re new tinnie mate i just decided to sell mine and its a little ripper ive only done 30 hrs in the water in 4 yrs if you wana go for a run up the logan not a prob i live there4.2 with 30 hp yamaha both in real good condition