PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard Funding

Hell Boy
24-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi all,

Why aren't the Coast Guard completely funded by the Goverment? We pay our taxes and get fire departments and ambos, why should the Coast Guard be any different?

There should be enough money from our boat rego and other taxes to pay for this service. am i right in this line of thinking or am i just being unreasonable?

We spend billions on Armed forces, Navy,Army and Airforce which spend most of there time overseas to protect other nations. yet we don't have a proper Fully funded 24/7 Coast Guard to protect our own Australian citizens.

we do have a good volunteer coast guard, and a big thank you to them, they do a great job. but it would be great to have a 24/7 Coast guard fully funded.

well thats just my rant for the day.

cheers

Bryn

TheRealAndy
24-09-2009, 04:23 PM
The NSW governement is in the process of taking over all funding of volunteer rescue groups (Marine Rescue NSW). I had heard rumours that the qld government were looking into how its being done in nsw and if they could apply it here.

Hell Boy
24-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I did have a look at what NSW have done, it appears that they have given a bit of money to cover the costs of transitioning the three volunteer groups into one group for uniforms, repainting boats eta. but after that the new NSW Coast guards will still mainly rely on community funding, which all or most of the money should be funded by the Goverment IMO.

yellowbeard
24-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I did have a look at what NSW have done, it appears that they have given a bit of money to cover the costs of transitioning the three volunteer groups into one group for uniforms, repainting boats eta. but after that the new NSW Coast guards will still mainly rely on community funding, which all or most of the money should be funded by the Goverment IMO.

You got it right, Hell Boy. Or should that read: Hell boy, you got that right!
The NSW Coast Guard and the Royal Coastal Patrol NSW and that other group that I always forget have been aligned under the Marine Rescue moniker. And as you've stated, except for peanuts, still have to raise their own funds.
Clever name actually, Marine Rescue NSW. As the staff are still volunteers and both (yes both) organisations have always been officially VMR, then Volanteer Marine Rescue still fits. But bankrupt governments like that of NSW aren't going to spoil a good thing when they've been getting both the staff and the equipment for free for eons. Don't forget the SES and the Rural Bushfire Brigade -- all volunteer and all fundraisers.
Just a bit of trivia: The largest VMR in NSW (the old Port Stephens Coastal Patrol) is right here in Port Stephens. They have two rescue boats: The Daniel Thain and the Codie K, both of which were actually donated -- at least one anonymously.
Port Stephens Royal Coastal Patrol raises its own funds in excess of $200,000 each year. Probably better to leave them volunteer and self funded as the state governments would only fu*k it up like they do everything else.

Cheers.

sleepygreg
24-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Its about time they fell under one entity. It used to pi$$ me off to no end the rivalry between the two groups (Coastal Patrol and Coast guard), both with the same ideals, but both fighting each other for recognition and the public $. I have been involved with both (on fundraising activities...and on water coverage) and will NOT criticise either organisation....though the top level politicking was a bit much to take. I totally agree that they should be government funded.....maybe if the government kicked in double or triple what they raise on an annual basis....and give the volounteers state of the art equipment to do the job. I think it would be better run by volounteers, as they are doing it as their passion, not their 'job', and maybe there would be more volounteers wanting to do the job if it was made more enjoyable through the proper resources, rather than spending the majority of their hours raising funds. I would rather see the Flotilla Commander in the radio room, or on the bridge of the Rescue boat...than sitting at the local shopping centre selling raffle tickets (but then ...thats also a sign of his dedication to the cause).

Greg

TOPAZ
25-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi all,

The problem with Government funding/grants etc, is that it ALWAYS comes with strings attached (if you know what I mean)

In the U.K., the R.N.L.I. (arguably the world's oldest Volunteer Sea Rescue service), is entirely funded by public donations and bequests. This is deliberately to avoid government "strings".
As a matter of interest, the Daniel Thain at Port Stephens R.V.C.P. is an ex- R.N.L.I. Lifeboat - it gives you an idea of the size of their operation - it's almost a small ship!

Richard
(ex R.V.C.P. State Captain)

oldboot
25-09-2009, 10:14 AM
well I think it is a case of...there just aren't enough votes in it.

and lets face it recreational water use simply does not appear on the public radar, and therfore in the mind of politicians.

consider the small budjets that the water police, boating and fisheries patroll and the EPA have for water bassed activities.

It has been alleged ( on reliable information) that certain government boats had not been in the water for weeks because they had spent their fuel budjet.

Ask a few questions and you will find that quite a few things you wouldn't expect are done by the volunteer groups.

Like.....all water borne medical transfeers in moreton bay are done by VMR groups skippered and crewed by volunteers.....the government does not own a boat capable.

The VMR's are quite often called out to do things you would expect the police to do.....like recovering bodies from the bay.

current governments are more likley to legeslate rediculously high penalties.....rather than employ inspectors to enforce the legeslation......so how much further down the chain does VMR sit.

Remember it is only recently that the QLD government took controll of the ambulance.....not too long ago it was run by local comittees....who used to do first aid courses and run raffles to fund raise.

remamber the ambulance fund raising trailer stall that used to be parked oposide the kiosk at wellington point every saturday and sunday.... crewed by ambo's on their day off.

Even now there are still volunteer crew members in the QLD ambulance service...

With what is going on at the moment... there are some that question if the ambulance service is better off.

there are more than a few that argue that the VMR's are better off as they are.

cheers

PADDLES
25-09-2009, 11:26 AM
i'm sort of with your sentiments bryn, but there's simply not enough money to go round. the current boat registration rate would not make enough money to fund boat ramps and beacons and other marine related infrastructure as it is, let alone funding marine rescue organisations.

if government were to fund it directly then i reckon a surchage should be put onto our boat regos. the down sides with this would be:

1. that "strings" would be attached to the funding by the government and the risk would be loss of control by the organisations themselves

2. there would be tax benefits of having a non-profit volunteer organisation that allows the donated dollar to go further

3. the government "administration" and b#llsh@t that would go with collecting the levy from the rego would diminish the amount of funds

4. we could get a situation where idiots waste the time of the crews because now they think they have paid for a service, much the same as some idiot with a tummy ache calling an ambulance to cart them to hospital now in qld

5. like yellowbeard says "the government would "f$ck it up"

TheRealAndy
25-09-2009, 11:35 AM
In NSW the plan WAS that the governemnt would take over the boats and fund them, the rest obviously still falls under the control of the seperate groups. This obviously did not happen. At least they are one group now, might make them operate more cohesively as a group

DAN-SK
25-09-2009, 03:30 PM
because when i grow old (retired) i want to join the coast guard or vmr just like all the others. lol

Marlin_Mike
25-09-2009, 04:09 PM
because when i grow old (retired) i want to join the coast guard or vmr just like all the others. lol

what makes you say old and retired to join? you think its an old farts club?

Mike

Hell Boy
25-09-2009, 05:57 PM
i also think it should be a little more easier to join the coast guard as well.

i've sent emails and also tried ringing the coast guard to join my local (Brisbane Coast Guard) everyday this week and haven't been able to speak to anyone as it the phone rings out and a message saying it is unmanned. not everyone can make a special trip down there just to join. i'll have to keep trying.

i wonder how many people get put off from joining because it becomes a pain in the ass.

Bryn

TheRealAndy
25-09-2009, 10:58 PM
what makes you say old and retired to join? you think its an old farts club?

Mike

Sounds like you are taking offence at being old ;D;D;D;D

QF3 MROCP
28-09-2009, 09:19 PM
i also think it should be a little more easier to join the coast guard as well.

i've sent emails and also tried ringing the coast guard to join my local (Brisbane Coast Guard) everyday this week and haven't been able to speak to anyone as it the phone rings out and a message saying it is unmanned. not everyone can make a special trip down there just to join. i'll have to keep trying.

i wonder how many people get put off from joining because it becomes a pain in the ass.

Bryn

Bryn

send me your phone number via PM and I'll get someone to call you... or give CG Redcliffe a call on 32035522 Mon - Thurs 06:00 - 21:00 Fri - Sun 24x7 and ask for your details to be given to CG Brisbane. I'll be there this weekend if that helps..

Peter