PDA

View Full Version : Ants in the boat

Hamish73
22-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Hi guys, apart from the obvious solution of using the boat more often, does anyone have a system to stop ants making a home out of your boat?

They have nests in my boat and live there in their 100's of thousands

I was thinking of a sheetmetal plate under the stand at the front like they do on house stumps , but they probably climb up the tyres too

hakuna
22-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Spray around your boat with Webzone, get it from Norco 1lt $60, 50ml per 5 lt, your wheels, ground, etc. THey will go elswhere. Forms a protective barrier. Spray every 3 months, after a while you will not see them in the area again. Great for the house too

cheers

Noha
22-09-2009, 08:03 AM
the metal plate is only for white ants, sprinkle baby powder on the spots contacting the ground,ie jockey wheel,tyres etc. cheers

bundylundy
22-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Disconnect the battery, use a tarp to form a tent then set off an ant and roach bomb. That'll get rid of the ones nesting in the boat. Then use ant powder around the wheels and jockey wheel to keep away any new infestations. Got rid of the redbacks out of my tinny that way, so should work on the ants. Just give it a good wash out the next day.

Jeff.

dreemon
22-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Hamish I've got the same problems, small black one's living and breeding somewhere or everywhere and have been using surface spray all the time, the're hard to get rid of , last time we were at the ramp a pack of big bull ants poured outa the trailer when the floods hit, I'll have to try all of the suggestions above and below . . . .

shano
22-09-2009, 06:09 PM
had the same problem in mine! nested under the floor tried everything emptied a full can of surface spray in the bung hole! they won i lost , ended up selling it!

Hamish73
27-09-2009, 01:23 PM
thanks for the replies. I have tried the talc powder method (cheapest) so will see how it goes over the coming weeks

gr hilly
27-09-2009, 01:59 PM
mate ant powder it works wondersyates brand is a good one knocks them cold and they go looking for it i wish i could find a bait as good all the best hilly

Jarrah Jack
27-09-2009, 08:49 PM
If the powder doesn't work give them a blast of any Frank Sinatra song, the louder the better.

Cheers