PDA

View Full Version : Lady Musgrave and other islands

hodges4
21-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Didn't know where to put this one.

To those of you who have been fortunate enough to fish Lady Musgrave and other islands in the same area.

Would you consider these places to be out of the reach of a safe trip in a 5m quintrex from Turkey Beach.

I'd like to have a go but am cautious about it. I don't know how rough it can get and it's a long way.

I've been to the wreck off Turkey Beach a few times in 15kn winds and my thinking is that it wouldn't get any rougher further out, just longer to get home.

Has anybody seen small boats out there who have made the trip.

Or am I better off forgetting it and going on a charter out of Gladstone or 1770.

thanks
John

lusco
21-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi John.I have done the day trip deal out to Lady Musgrave which the deckie told me was a good day and it was still pretty choppy but also like you said it is a long way.Thats my bit of useless information.

Flex
21-09-2009, 08:05 PM
The barrier reef stops at the Swains group, which is directly east of Stanage.

This means in waters south of this area are prone to Ocean swells. If you add a chop to this you get some really big nasty seas.

Personally if you had a 5+m boat and was a self drainer and a better seaboat than a Quintrex then I'd def do it with 2 boats as added safety,
After doing a few trips out that way I'd be very apprehensive in a 6m boat. I originally was going to buy a 5.5m platey for such trips, but I've since changed my mind, It wouldn't be adequate if it got rough.

as a solo trip in a 5m tinny, I personally wouldn't do it.

Why dont you tow your boat up to Mackay/whitsundays/or Lucinda way, much safer to hit the reef on a good day up there IMO. And better fishing:)

If it blows up you travel to slow through chop to reach safety in time IMO.

mirage
21-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Personally I wouldn't do it in a 5m Quinny. Too far if it gets nasty.

black runner
21-09-2009, 10:06 PM
I did the trip from 1770 on the tourist cat. It's a long way for a small trailerboat in exposed waters, and as Flex said there was a reasonable (and shortish) swell running. On the way out there were about 20 people chundering into baggies at the back rail.

It was a fantastic day but about 3/4 of the way to Musgrave it was breezy which put some nice horses on the swell.

The transit time/distance in exposed waters would have to be a concern in a 5m tinny.

Cheers

perko
22-09-2009, 05:50 AM
I wouldn't recommend you do it. Go on a charter. Long way to there and we have had some very rough trips home on good forecasts too and in a 6 meter cat. Don't be fooled about getting to the wreck, it gets rougher than that. I find the roughest area about 20-30 miles out.

hodges4
22-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Thanks all.
You've confirmed what I thought.
I had a friend trying to talk me into it.

John

Horse
22-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Many years ago I did an overnighter out of Turkey to Masthead in my old 16' Abalone. We had a dozen or so other boats but that did not help when a 25-30kn SE blew up overnight. The trip home was interesting to say the least with a few of the Quinnies being ankle deep at times when greenies came over their bows (centre console weakness). One boat split his hull and two ruptured fuel tanks.
Nowdays the weather forcasts seem better and easier to access but its still a fair risk

thirsty merc
22-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi there , if you trust your skills as a captain and know your boat backwards i think there would not be a problem going to the islands, i lived in tannum sands for most of my life and used to regually head out to masthead from boyne river in my 5.02 m half cab. If the weather was dodgy i did not go but if the forcast was 10-15 knots and not expected to rise i was there with bells on.Sure the bigger boats flew past us but we just drove to the sea conditions. In my experience most times the weather got better the further out you went, once past the shoals it was better. Hope this helps. Rob

finding_time
22-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Hodges

A solution may be to camp on the island for say 4 or 5 days and follow the musgrave boat out and back if it really rough following the boat will be more comfortable and if the shite his the fan there right there ot get you out of it! I cant remember but this boat may even tow yours out for a fee?

Ian

Daamu
22-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Hodges

Don't be put off by the whole Quintrex thing.
I have a 540 spirit and have been caught out in some rough stuff before, and have made it home quite safely. Make sure you have plenty of fuel and drive to the conditions. If you drive at a million miles an hour then you will be sure to come unstuck. If you're not confident in the boat you drive I would not risk it. Following the ferry out might be another viable option to.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Mister
22-09-2009, 07:39 PM
hodges4, you had the proper and correct answer to your query before the darwin awards chirped in.

Not the type of trip suitable for your boat be it alloy or glass.

Some people really need a common sense pill.

finding_time
22-09-2009, 08:13 PM
What in your opinion would be the minimum boat to attempt this trip Mister?????

trymyluck
22-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi John
I just came back from a week at 1770, the conditions were not that great but still ok for a 5 to 6 meter boat. If your boat was a cabin style boat and you were confident it could be done but it could also quite easily go pear shape as well. I was in a 5.5 savage cuddy and if the weather had been a little nicer then we would have been out there. We fished 10 to 15 mile out and traveled 8 knots out trolling with no banging through waves with the bonus of a spanish mack and a small marlin. All good.
Mark

murf
22-09-2009, 08:53 PM
What in your opinion would be the minimum boat to attempt this trip Mister?????

Ian it looks like you are in a hurry to get to Lady Musgrave by your avatar ;)

I would have the confidence doing it in my 4.75m tiny but I wouldn't as it would take too long to get there, better places closer in

cheers Murf

mirage
22-09-2009, 09:05 PM
John, if you had a cuddy cabin style boat it would be a lot safer but from your avitar I assume you have a bowrider. If the weather turned nasty and you copped a few geen ones over the bow they're all going to end up in your boat. I just wouldn't be trying it.