PDA

View Full Version : Need some help for North Straddie

Heath
20-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey all,
have got a weekend up at North Straddie in early October. Am staying at Pt Lookout & am wondering what my options are for that time of year.

Have never been there before & would like to get am early morning fish in.
Wondering what species are taken off the rock platforms or if they are even fishable at all?
Also interested on havinga fish off the beach as well.

TIA;D

BGG
21-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Heath
Do you have a 4WD?

Heath
21-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Yep. sure have

Heath
Do you have a 4WD?

chiefsimo
21-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I love Straddy -

You will likely run into a few tailor on the beach - there are some good rock formations at the top of the island (walkable from the car park near Cylinder headland) where u can throw poppers / slugs for tailor. Daybreak is prime time.

You will also likely get Dart on the beaches - allow 20mins per gutter - no fish - keep moving. Worth trying a few spots in the same gutter as they can be there, just got to find them!

Normally u can get enough pippies off the beach for bait.

Remember that you can't drive on the beach an hour either side of high tide - u can be on the beach - but not driving. It can be a bugger as the beach can get narrow in parts. You also need a permit - available on the left as you arrive.

PM if u want more details. don't forget to have a beer at the Straddy Hotel either !

BGG
22-09-2009, 06:33 AM
Like Chiefsimo said, the first thing you need is a beach permit. These are also available at the barge office and on the barge. You should do alright on the dart and whiting in October. There's miles and miles of Main Beach to fish but the beauty is that if you get a howling South Easter making Main Beach uncomfortable, you can always retreat to Flinders Beach.

Captain Seaweed
22-09-2009, 07:12 AM
Got married at Straddy as I think its where god would live. I go there once a month and unless its pissing down rain and blowing 40 knots you wont be disappointed. Look for a good gutter on Main use pippies for bait. Taylor have been slow this year. Flinders is a great beach to retreat to as previously mentioned but I have found it to fish slow. No pippies on Flinders either. Good bream off rocks at Deadmans and Frenchmans as well as trevally and some tailor when running. I also recommend fishing the south gorge. That time of year if you get a Northerly blowing chuck on the snorkel and go for a swim around the gorge nice place.
Recommend the following for dinner Seashells at Amity, Straddy Pub and if you want to go upmarket head to Amis. Great seafood can be bought from Rufus Seafoods at Amity Piont , they have the best prawns. If heading there ask the owner to see the sharks in the freezer, he has the drum lines off the beach and always has some good specimens in there.
If the fishinh is slow. Grab 20 beers sit on the beach and pinch yourself every 10 minutes and ask yourself is this real and where are the crowds. Just remember to let the mrs drive and dont forget to tell heaps of people when you get back about how shitty the island is!!

Might see you there
Marty

b j p
22-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Grab 20 beers sit on the beach and pinch yourself every 10 minutes and ask yourself is this real and where are the crowds.

Amen. Best kept secret in SE Qld. Can't get there enough; can't work out how I could live there and commute into the city.