PDA

View Full Version : 5 yr old moter dead, what to buy

jimbosplumbing
19-09-2009, 10:29 AM
So after having my boat looked at after having a few problems looks like a total rebuild is needed, beleive i bought a lemon of a boat about 7 months ago, after the guy assured me of regular servicing and what not, even got a mate of a boat mechanic to tell what had been done. It was only a 5 yr old tohatsu, current mechanic ssaid its never been serviced in its life. Very pissed off.

So what to do now, should i go the rebulid , or for piece of mind should i go for a brand new.

May aswell ask on suggestions on a new moter while here, lookin at 40 hp

what sorta prices am i lookin at
Cheers every, Matt

Pretzil
19-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Get a new one, even after a rebuild you will almost definitely keep having troubles down the track. Dont be put off tohatsu after having an idiot previous owner. Check out the prices of the new 40hp tohatsus, they were significantly cheaper than the other makes last time I checked

jason p
19-09-2009, 02:25 PM
depending how much SPARE cash you have, but i would lean to a new motor. and if it was me i would be buying a different brand, thats more than likely based on the fact that i havent heard alot about the tohatsu. somthing on the lines of a suzi/honda/evinrude would b the pick of the bunch.
research research research;D

jp

tigermullet
19-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Tohatsu should be fine if you are considering a new motor. The prices seem to be ok compared with other brands.

I don't know what the previous owner did or did not do but our Tohatsu 3cyl 40hp is now ten years old. It had a ten hour service and another service at the five year mark and it probably will not get another one. We keep an eye on the gear box oil, clean spark plugs as necessary and replace the water pump impeller (it's very easy to do) whenever we reckon it might be wise.

The only problem we have encountered was corrosion on the tilt mechanism and that was because that part did not have an earth bond. Why Tohatsu did not bond the trim/tilt was a mystery to me until someone on this forum reckoned that Tohatsu don't bond small motors because they assume that the motors will only be used on trailer boats. The bonding is done now - no further problems should occur with that.

Our 40hp pushes a displacement vessel which lives on a mooring. The motor gets a lot of use. I couldn't be happier, especially since we replaced those mongrel resistor type spark plugs with ordinary plugs.

I guess the choice of servicing or not is up to the individual. Personally, I think that the need for servicing is right up there with other commercially based myths of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. In other words, it makes some feel good and brings out the "bah, humbug" in others. Just like aircraft - if anything is going to go wrong you can bet it will happen immediately after a 100 hour service.;D

cormorant
19-09-2009, 04:28 PM
What exactl has gon wrong with it - run lean, no oil or did it get hot?

shano
19-09-2009, 06:15 PM
ok you can get them for misrepresentation, i have read many people that are in alot of trouble for this at the moment, mainly the home car salesmen, police are trying to shut them down! i would speak to someone about this maybe police! i would say you got case if he said it was serviced but the current mechanic says no! good luck! never liked the tohatsu motor!

Lovey80
19-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Lile others I wouldn't let this put you off tohatsu. I have never owned one but would be a big consideration if I was to buy 2stroke again. Take tigermullets advice if you buy a new one. Many I have spoken to say they are bullet proof. Get a full workshop manual and learn to do it yourself. That way you have piece of mind. I plan on doing that same on my 50hp 4st suzukie once it's out of warranty.

Cheers chris

billfisher
20-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I like the Tohatsu's. Another motor worth looking at is the Suzuki. They make 2s up to 40 hp. They are well priced. You can get electric start and a rectifier and still not come out dearer than other brands with pull start.

One problem I have heard of with Tohatsu's (and other brands) related to servicing, is mechanics not re-tensioning the cylinder head. This should be done at the 10 hr service and the annual service. It is very important as if not done cooling water can get into the powerhead and do a lot of damage. Quite a few dealers skimp on doing this it would seem. I have had two motors in for a 10hr service and the 'head tensioning' box has been ticked - yet the paint on the cylinder head bolts is undisturbed! If the bolts have been tensioned you will see marks on the paint so it is something to look out for.

Horse
20-09-2009, 08:23 AM
The Tohatsus in the smaller power ranges are very good motors. Ignore the guys who have never used them and tell you to spend another $1000.00 to get a Yammie or such badge on a motor that is no better.
Apart from the initial service we do all of our own maintenance. I don't see a need for spending big $ for work that is often not done up to my standard.
How did the previous motor die and have you had more than one quote on the repairs?

blue boat
20-09-2009, 10:38 AM
The only decision is 2 stroke or 4 stroke if you intend to keep the boat for a long time 4 stroke is the way to go. The cost is dearer long term benifits are good and for not much use over a long period 2 stroke is best value.Just a small delema for you to work out your needs, new is the way to go don't rebuild a problem

rhycebullimore
20-09-2009, 11:16 AM
if considering a 40 tohatsu get a 50, same motor except not detuned...i done that have not been happier and am pulling unbeleivable fuel figures from a 4.1 seajay with 2 people huge esky electric 40 lt fuel....looking at 65km trips and using around 24-25 lts of fuel

jimbosplumbing
20-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Hey thanks for everyones advice, have pretty much made up my mind and will be going new, just gotta decide which way im gonna go in terms of new motor.
I know other people that have had tohatsu's and have had no problems with them but im still a little put off by them due to this, and im sure it probably was more due to the motor being neglected or miss used i dont think ill buy one this time.

Is it worth payin the extra for a 3 cylinder rather than 2 ?

ashh
20-09-2009, 05:54 PM
most if not all of the coast SLSC IRB's run tohatsu's and they get more than there fair share of rough treatment in the surf. Pretty sure tohatsu and mercury are vitually the same motor....

Skusto
20-09-2009, 06:40 PM
most if not all of the coast SLSC IRB's run tohatsu's and they get more than there fair share of rough treatment in the surf. Pretty sure tohatsu and mercury are vitually the same motor....

the 40 lighting xr mercury is a tohatsu just rebranded.

Pretzil
20-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Got told this from a merc dealer, the 40hp merc is a tohatsu (not vice versa) the 50 mercs are mercs and not tohatsus.

We were under the same impression, was the only reason we even considered the merc.

tigermullet
20-09-2009, 06:56 PM
It's pretty hard to know what you are getting these days. Several years ago Mercury were selling their 30hp Light Twin and that was just a rebadged 30hp Tohatsu with the only difference being that they cost approximately $400 more.

Our 40hp 3 Cylinder is very good but if I could go back in time I would buy the 50hp as Rhycebullimore suggests.

The decision to choose Tohatsu was made on the fact (as Ashh states) SLSC's were favouring them. We figured if they could stand up to that sort of treatment we couldn't go far wrong.

Further research revealed that they were the only motor being totally manufactured in Japan and their history included being the motor chosen, after the war, to use them for the Japanese commercial fishing fleet.

Anyway, each to their own. I wouldn't accept a Suzuki or Mercury even if they were being given away after having bad experiences in earlier years with both of those brands. I realise that things might have changed but to this day I loath them both. Which might be totally nuts but, hey, there's nothing wrong with being irrational.;D

bennykenny
20-09-2009, 07:07 PM
ok you can get them for misrepresentation, i have read many people that are in alot of trouble for this at the moment, mainly the home car salesmen, police are trying to shut them down! i would speak to someone about this maybe police! i would say you got case if he said it was serviced but the current mechanic says no! good luck! never liked the tohatsu motor!
mate its all hearsay, the bloke who sold it didnt have it written down in a contract, it was oral, good luck finding a lawyer who would take that case on, its buyer beware, if he said it was serviced ask for the recipets, dont just take it for granted. cheers BK

White Pointer
20-09-2009, 07:47 PM
G'day,

The representations made to you by the seller formed part of the contract of sale. If the person who has looked at the motor is prepared to back you up walk into the dealership with him and present your evidence and demand that they fix it or replace it. Make lots of noise so that other customers can hear it.

Give them 24-hours to respond and tell them if they don't it's going on AUSFISH and to the Office of Fair Trading.

Do not hire a lawyer yet. They will just cost you money and they will deal incompetently with this.

Keep us posted - LOUDLY.

Regards,

White Pointer

bennykenny
21-09-2009, 05:39 AM
G'day,

The representations made to you by the seller formed part of the contract of sale. If the person who has looked at the motor is prepared to back you up walk into the dealership with him and present your evidence and demand that they fix it or replace it. Make lots of noise so that other customers can hear it.

Give them 24-hours to respond and tell them if they don't it's going on AUSFISH and to the Office of Fair Trading.

Do not hire a lawyer yet. They will just cost you money and they will deal incompetently with this.

Keep us posted - LOUDLY.

Regards,

White Pointer
there was nothing said about buying it from a dealership, i assume it has been bought privatley, so again , good luck

White Pointer
21-09-2009, 08:29 PM
there was nothing said about buying it from a dealership, i assume it has been bought privatley, so again , good luck

G'day,

Good point!

Was it a dealer or a private sale?

You still have protection at law under the Queensland Fair Trading Act in a private sale. In fact it may serve you better than the Trade Practices Act.

So the same applies. If your mechanic is prepared to back you up write to him and lay out your case as you have here and ask him for compensation. Decide on a figure. Two-thirds of the repair cost sounds reasonable or the equivalent $ amount contribution to a replacement - of your choosing - where you want to buy it.

PM me if you want the legal ins and outs.

Regards,

White Pointer

jimbosplumbing
22-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I picked up the boat today, the problem ended up being blown piston ring which caused a chip in the piston head or somthin alonfg those lines.

Not really looking to take it any further, it was a private sale and know it will be very hard to prove anything due to lack of receitps adn what not.

Thanks for all the replies. Now ust gotta make that decision as o which motor i buy.

cormorant
22-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Check the wreckers or toey dealers as they may have one at a decent price. You then have a full motor as spares if you stuff a box or prop etc. They are a good motor.

Not sure how much a rebuild should be and it will depend on the real damage and if it threw teh ring because of overheating or lean running.

Stacer 5.0
23-09-2009, 03:16 PM
The Tohatsus in the smaller power ranges are very good motors. Ignore the guys who have never used them and tell you to spend another $1000.00 to get a Yammie or such badge on a motor that is no better.
Apart from the initial service we do all of our own maintenance. I don't see a need for spending big $ for work that is often not done up to my standard.
How did the previous motor die and have you had more than one quote on the repairs?

Having had both Tohatsu 70 hp and Yamaha 75 hp (both serviced regulary and both 2 stroke) I would go the Yamaha every time without a doubt. They start better, the run better, they respond better and they are better quality all round. But thats just my experience of having the Tohatsu for 3 years and the Yammie for 5.

Pretzil
23-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Which cost more btw?

Jarrah Jack
23-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I have a 40 hp mariner which is a tohatsu and its great. If you are selling the dead one let me know, I would like to put a tilt trim on mine if yours has got one.

White Pointer
23-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I picked up the boat today, the problem ended up being blown piston ring which caused a chip in the piston head or somthin alonfg those lines.

Not really looking to take it any further, it was a private sale and know it will be very hard to prove anything due to lack of receitps adn what not.

Thanks for all the replies. Now ust gotta make that decision as o which motor i buy.

G'day,

I can't blame you for wanting to stay away from the agro. Now that you have free choice of engine brand and type I suggest you start by finding out how much power your boat can carry and the maximum weight you can hang on the transom.

If the 40HP was a low power compromise you might like to move up. If the hull was maxxed out with 40HP you might like to downgrade but spend your $$ on a latest technology engine that will have better fuel efficiency and resale value.

Once you know the range of power and weight the boat can handle buy a copy of F&B magazine. They publish the manufacturers RRP each month. In this month's edition they tested the new Yamaha 40HP 4-stroke hot on the heels of a test of Honda's new 40HP 4-stroke. Both engines have been very highly rated.

The advantage of starting at the very top of the range that will work on your boat is that most dealers have multiple franchises and will offer you the choice of everything they have to secure your business. So you get to compare multiple offers which usually comes down to technology VS price. At the end of the buying process you will probably get the make and brand you really want to own and there won't be $20 between the deals.

If you elect to go for a 4-stroke, don't forget to add the weight of a battery into your calculations of transom weight.

All the best.

Regards,

White Pointer