PDA

View Full Version : Scratch in Aluminium of a brand new boat

Gorms83
18-09-2009, 11:37 PM
G'day everyone,

Recently at the Sydney boat show I purchased a centre console and have eagerly awaited its arrival for the past 7 weeks.

When I headed down this morning to pay the remaining balance, I had a look over the boat to check everything was ok.

Everything seems fine except for a rather large scratch taken out of the aluminium. (see attached photo). The scratch was fairly deep, and there was enough rough metal there to cut my finger when I felt it.

Just wanted to get some advice and everyone's thoughts on the situation.

Part of me says its ok as it is below the waterline, but 99% of me says when I buy a new boat id like to see no scratches, since the boat will sit on the trailer for most of its life and the scratch will keep looking at me.

The gentleman from the boat store said he will try to buff it back, though im told aluminium is hard to smooth over.

Another thing the boat store said that got to me was "its nothing to be concerned with". Well im sure if he had a scratch in his new BMW when he picked it up he'd be concerned. I mean how often am I spending 20k! not everyday!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Gorms.

ONE-SHOT
18-09-2009, 11:50 PM
hey there iv had some deep scratches on my old tinny and they were bad but u can repair it easy i found this product very use full for do it your self repairsits called durafix http://www.durafix.com.au/index.php have a look evrry easy and strong to but as for a new boat not having taken it home i would be very pissed as you pay money to get a non damaged product but thats a way to fix it
cheers jase

Gorms83
19-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Hopefully they have an idea how to get it back to a near perfect condition.

Just really dissapointed.

Its killed me waiting 7 weeks and when it gets here, its not the brand new boat i was after.

Thanks for the link pal.

spearking
19-09-2009, 05:14 AM
Barter for a discount mate or for them to throw in some extra saftey gear or a free first service ect.
If it were me I know everytime I looked at it, it would sh*t me that I paid serious coin for a damaged product that is supposed to be new but could live with it if I were compensated. It may not be 'anything to be worried about' but thats not the point. They know your keen to pick the boat up and will be relying on this to see the boat out of the yard. Without getting cranky I would express your dissapointment and ask the dealer for abetter deal.

MyEscape
19-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Being below the waterline and particularly on a non painted section it shouldn't really matter, but.... it is new and I know what you mean.

If the scratch as you say is deep enough to feel, then it should definitely be at least buffed until it is smooth to touch.

They all get scratches later though.

Steve

geeb
19-09-2009, 07:18 AM
"Nothing to worry" about "is something to worry about" when you put up a post about it

The dealer was silly not to do his own pre inspection as it looks like it will buff out - but you will still keep looking at it or I would anyway

Also as the hull oxidises marks fade and as noted you will scratch it yourself - but that is cool as that is part of the adventure

Personally I would ask for the scratch to be professionally fixed - (which should just be a good buff) a seperate written acknowledgement of the hull being supplied in damaged condition (will not mean anything but shows you mean business) plus $500 worth of stock items from the dealer (at most probably only cost him $250)

Then when you look at the place where the scratch was and cannot find it or only see a slight scar - you will grin and think happy thoughts - congrats on your new craft.........Geeb

Catweb
19-09-2009, 07:22 AM
If it had been stock sitting in his showroom, he would either have fixed it or offered discount. You should expect and demand no less.

PinHead
19-09-2009, 08:14 AM
frustrating I imagine it would be..I would just ask them to get it professionally buffed out then get out there and enjoy your new boat.

finga
19-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Just tell him you don't want it now. If it's nothing to worry about then it won't take him long to sell it.
He'll bend over backwards to make you happy in ways of repair, discount or merchandise or combination of the the lot.
You have not paid the final amount yet don't forget.
As mentioned before...would he be happy to find a gauge on his new beemer on delivery??

TimiBoy
19-09-2009, 08:19 AM
You have paid $20K for a new, pristine boat. How dare they ask you to accept any less than that? Demand they repair it properly, IMO. As pointed out, if it were their new BMW...

Are there other service outlets nearby? If these guys are the slightest bit unprofessional, your relationship with them may be shot, so that will be something to think about.

It annoys me that sales people say things like that. It just shows they have no interest in getting YOU what YOU want, they are just trying to get you out the door and go for the next one. No care, no responsibility.

Cheers,

Tim

Kleyny
19-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Don't take it until it has been repaired.
IMO if the scratch has swarf on it that can cut you it needs to be fixed.
I think it opens up a can of worms if later down the track you hit a decent wave and it opens up at the scratch if you took it as is.
Its only under the water when its in the water 90% of the time it will be on the trailer and you will cures it every time you walk past it if you don't fix it.
If you saw a scratch on the cowl would you expect it to be fixed? i think so

neil

Flex
19-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Is the scratch actual gouge marks in the aluminum or is it just a superficial mark?
If its the latter, then in about 1 month you wont even know its there when the shine wears off and your whole hull goes dull.

If its an actual gouge mark into the metal then I'd want it to be fixed

jason p
19-09-2009, 10:21 AM
mate i know how you feel when i first picked up my new boat it had a peice of the gell coat missing from under the bow(didnt notice until it was home), this was about 100mm long and 25mm wide>:( took it back to the dealer and he replied you must have done it. fn bs. just so happend the manufacture in same suburb, so i took it to him and told him what had happend and he was more than happy to fix it for me free of charge. servce at pursuit boats is excellent. thanks wazza.

jp

tin can marlin
19-09-2009, 10:42 AM
If it were me i would demand my money back because if that mark is so easy to see what about under your floor who knows what is going on there. I would then go and buy another brand as that is not on saying that there nothing to worry about. If you are going ahead with the deal show up there without them knowing your coming and then demand them to lift up the floor so you can go right over it.

ThePinkPanther
19-09-2009, 01:06 PM
There is a product called Knead It that comes in several ranges, one being aluminium, kind of light silvery grey in colour.

It is an epoxy like stick that is brilliant to work with and smooths out exceptionally well with a wet finger or tool .............

Most good hardware stores sell it. Simple to sand back and sticks like s*it to a sheeps tail!

Gorms83
19-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've asked them to have it repaired back to flush and polished to an acceptable standard.

I'll be checking it out 8am Monday morning so I'll let you guys know how I go.

Best case scenario I'll be posting some photos out the front of my house. Worst case, it will be another 7 week wait.

Now that would be a dirty post on the forum!

O SEA D
19-09-2009, 09:31 PM
I would not accept the boat if it is brand new and needs to be repaired.7 weeks is nothing to get the boat you want as opposed to owning the boat that your not really happy with.

MyEscape
21-09-2009, 05:19 AM
O Sea,

Just as a matter of interest and for others also, the business of not accepting a boat that is without any scratches etc needs to be considered a little further.

Does anyone realise how many new cars require panel repair prior to sale? It's just that car dealerships don't let you see the car before it is repaired.

I had a mate a few years ago in Mackay where most of his paintless dent removal was done on new cars.

As I said in an earlier post, as long as it is buffed out it shouldn't be a problem.

Steve

siegfried
21-09-2009, 08:53 AM
If its deep it can be tigged up, ground back and polished to the point where it will not be an issue ,you ,however should not be paying for it to be fixed. To those who reckon not to accept it well theyre not the ones who could blow theyre deposit and wait for yonks for another boat ..If ya worried about dings etc dont own a boat.

O SEA D
21-09-2009, 09:06 AM
If the salesman had the attitude "that it is nothing to be concerned about" I would definately not accept the boat the way it is. The seller must supply the product free from defects or a discount must be offered.

Matt76
21-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Is the scratch actual gouge marks in the aluminum or is it just a superficial mark?
If its the latter, then in about 1 month you wont even know its there when the shine wears off and your whole hull goes dull.

I agree, while it is a disapointment, you wont even notice it before long. Give the dealer a chance to fix it up a bit and see how it goes. They will most certainly be able to sand it out, but the surface finish may be a bit different for a couple of fishing trips. You wont be able to tell after that.

Poor service from the dealer though to not find it before you did.

robbo51
21-09-2009, 09:26 PM
would you drive a new car out of the showroom with a big scratch on it ? i know i wouldnt....they should either repair to "new" condition, replace it altogether or offer you a substantial discount

darkside
21-09-2009, 09:38 PM

Flex,

I would be thinking that it is a touch more than superficial (The scratch was fairly deep, and there was enough rough metal there to cut my finger when I felt it.)

I believe the dealer has a responsibilty to deliver a NEW Boat, if that means having the scratch fixed before the customer see's or takes delivery then so be it, i know if it was my hard earned coin, i would see that scratch every day and hate it.

Just my 2 cents worth , some people may not care and yes it will get the odd scratch and dent, but not brand new fresh out of the box with the new car smell and bubble wrap on !!!

boogsboat
21-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Hey Dave,

Have they started doing the fit up of the boat yet? If they haven't started play hard ball with them but if they have started doing the casting deck and puting every thing else in it may make it difficult to refuse to take it. Was it there when you first had a look at it. Mine had a few little things that I overlooked but they weren't that bad. It may pay to drop into the factory at Silverwater and ask them what they can do. Give us a ring if you want.

Nath

P.S. plenty of mercury Dealers and Service Centres.

firstlight
22-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Sorry to hear Gorms83, must be very frustrating for you considering it's your new pride and joy, being a pressed platy i would out and out demand a new boat - especially seeing as they tryed that on you. Darkside has it right, you will have to live with it every time you look at/ use your pride and joy, Mate stand upto them and don't accept 2nd best -win - lose or draw - you will be better for it - trust me.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain - go in hard - what are they going t do, turn you into a green frog - I don't think so - if all else fails ask for $5k off - that should jerk the slack out of them - if they think thats unreasonable then just tell them to give you a new boat and they will save $5k.

Anyway thats me 2 bobs worth, wrong or right, i truely hope it works out for you and your family.

Cheers
firstlight

tin can marlin
22-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Sorry to hear Gorms83, must be very frustrating for you considering it's your new pride and joy, being a pressed platy i would out and out demand a new boat - especially seeing as they tryed that on you. Darkside has it right, you will have to live with it every time you look at/ use your pride and joy, Mate stand upto them and don't accept 2nd best -win - lose or draw - you will be better for it - trust me.

Nothing to lose and everything to gain - go in hard - what are they going t do, turn you into a green frog - I don't think so - if all else fails ask for $5k off - that should jerk the slack out of them - if they think thats unreasonable then just tell them to give you a new boat and they will save $5k.

Anyway thats me 2 bobs worth, wrong or right, i truely hope it works out for you and your family.

Cheers
firstlight
I agree i think i would be walking away from the deal because what else is wrong with it go hard or go home.

oldboot
22-09-2009, 01:09 PM
no question.. it is damaged goods....and the dealer is trying it on.

if it is a pressed hull......"buffing it out" will reduce the strength and thickness of the whole section buffed (if the scratch is a significat depth).

welding it up....may alter the composition and tension in the metal.

$20 000..... I would be noting the serial number and not accept the same hull.

Think about this......If it arrived at the boat yard scratched.....they would have sent it back or hit up the manufacturer for a deal.

so there is a pretty good chance that it was done at the boat yard.....or they are trying to put the discount they got in their pocket.

don't think there is any difference between used car salesmen and boat salesmen.

what you do is up to you.

If you were walking in and doing a deal on a stock boat.....and it had that scratch.......you'd hit em up for several hundred off......wouldn't you.

cheers

badfisho
22-09-2009, 06:35 PM
If I were you I wouldn't even accept the boat being fixed.it's supposed to be in mint condtion.
Well mate it depends on the attitude of every person
but I would wait another 7 weeks or make them knock off some of the price for the inconvience...

Matt76
22-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Geez you lot are a bt harsh if you ask me. What if you were the boat yard owner and one of your blokes put a scratch in it putting it on the trailer and it was going to cost you $20,000? I reckon we need to look from both sides of the story here. Sure they should have told you or acted better when youi brought it up, but really.... demand a whole new boat? You cant compare it to a scratch on a BMW because the absolute best thing BMW would do for you is repair the scratch, there is no way they would give you a whole other car. like one of the other guys said there are loads and loads of new cars touched up before we even get them, my brother makes a living out of fixing them up. Don't even start on buying a demo, there are often very good reasons why they aren't sold as new cars.

Its just a scratch mate, its going to get loads more. bargain something out of them to sweaten the deal, you won't see it after a while.

Gorms83
22-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Well im writing this a bit dissapointed.

I got down there on Monday morning at 08:30am as i had an appointment to look over the boat and hopefully pick it up and the gentleman who i had dealt with the whole time throughout my dealing with Andrew Short Marine. By 9am whilst waiting, they informed me that he wasnt coming in for the day. A big case of avoidance if you ask me

The guy who came over and showed me over the boat wasnt to excited to be there. He knew i wasnt happy with being supplied a boat with scratches on it, and knew it wasnt well handed.

Looking at the scratch, it looked really good, though only half of it had worked on.
When i asked if the whole scratch could be brought back to a flush finish, he said did i want to wait the hour it would take to rub it back and polish it up. I told him he really doesnt get it does he.

At this stage i had been awake for about 24 hours as i have taken up an extra job to help pay for the boat. I really wanted it to be all over so my brother who was with me took over and got the run down for the operation of the boat and a few other odds and ends whilst i looked on. The boat looked great inside, i asked for the floors to be pulled up and everything was ok inside. Only thing is, they didnt include the rear lounge/seat as shown at the boat show so i still have to chase that up.

In the end, it was very much a case of the dealer had my buisness, and didnt want to know of me untill i was paying the money.

I kind of put it down to buying at the boatshow might have saved me some money as the competition was high, but with that the customer service went out the window when they are swamped with work.

Nathan a fellow ausfish member gave me some ideas to put forward to dealer, though only the 1 thing out of 5 requests were completed. The others were "lost in communication"

If its ok, i'd like to start a new thread showing the pictures as i'd like to put this all behind me.

All in all, im just dissapointed. I understand nothing is easy these days, just really hoped i could get on here singing the praises of the company. Instead, i hope people make an informed judgement and look elsewhere.

Thanks again for your posts guys, i really appreciate it.

Gorms

firstlight
22-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Enjoy your boat mate, after all thats what you have worked so hard for.

Don't be disapointed - be proud she's all yours and parked in the driveway.

look forward to some pics with fish in the eski he he

Cheers
firstlight

Matt76
23-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Mate get out and get your line wet, it might make you feel a whole lot better, I am sorry for you that it didn't end all well.

lee8sec
23-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Sorry to hear it wasnt a enjoyable experiance for you. Like the others have said, go out and catch some fish & enjoy the boat. Leigh

tin can marlin
23-09-2009, 09:32 AM
At the end of the day you have to enjoy yourself having said that i'am sure you a got a sour taste in your mouth like about a whole lemon in your mouth. I would think that the dealer would know this is on here and want to bend over backwards for you as this post will cost him business as Ausfish members are very powerful out the the boating world. I hope the boat meets all of your needs and you have no futher issues. Good luck and happy boating. Cheers Mark

Hell Boy
23-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Im sure after you have caught a few fish in your new boat, hopefully you will have forgotten about their poor service.

But still i don't understand why so many dealers provide bad customer service these days, when with the GFC has slowed down their income. Im all for naming and shaming when it comes to bad service, they might read it and decide they need to up their game and remember that THEY need """US""" the customer, and we can always go elsewhere to get the same product

can i ask you who the dealer was?

i for one decided to order a boat from melbourne instead of brisbane, because i wasn't happy with there service up here.

cheers

boogsboat
23-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey Dave,

Chin up Mate!

Go and Enjoy it once the Wind stops and we can see where we are going.

Nath

Jarrah Jack
23-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Hey Dave

Hope it all works out well.

One thing that concerns me is the depth of the scratch. If say its 1mm and the plate is say 4mm then the area of the being repaired is 25% weaker.

Don't really know if its anything for you to be concerned about but generally speaking there is not a lot of leeway when sanding out scratches in thin alloy.

Zooter
23-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Thats Just $%^*, really sorry to hear about your drama's with your new purchase mate,

Hard to forget things when %$^* like the happens, But im sure your going to get many hrs of enjoyment out of her, and hopefully plenty of fish :)

Happy boating man!
Zutta

Midnight
23-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Gday Gorms,

If at all possible make sure that scratch is blended out nice and smooth, as my experience with sheet aluminium (in aeroplanes) which is scratched, is that it will work harden and crack where the scratch is. That is the reason we never use scribers for sheet aluminium work, pencil or marker pen only.

I hope all is well with your new boat mate and that you get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

Cheers,
Myles

sleepygreg
23-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Having had dealings with that same dealer, though in past years, this doesnt surprise me at all. I always finished up dealing with his immediate competition at Blakehurst, and never had any problems (three boats and four motors).

Greg