PDA

View Full Version : Yak rod

rabbi
15-09-2009, 12:07 PM
G'day,
just thought I would send you a pic of my little yak rod which is a formidable weapon of choice for mostly Bass at the mo but hoping to give it a workout on something bigger soon.
Its fitted out with an Okuma AB20F reel loaded with 3kg braid line and is all of 1 metre long, gr8 reel seat and grips and it looks like fuji guides fitted to it.
I would class it as a medium taper with gr8 feel and fits nicely on the front of my yak without being too long and cumbersome.
Not too bad for a Silstar "just like dads" kids rod!!
I have had a challenge issued with something about catching a big mulloway on it and I have never been known to shirk a challenge.
Hehehehe!!!
Cheers, steve.

LostNearBribie
15-09-2009, 03:53 PM
That is a classic mate. Well done.
What does it cast like???

rabbi
15-09-2009, 10:16 PM
M8,
with the braid line it will cast just as good as anything twice its length, I just had to get used to the accuracy when casting as it is a bit harder to get used to and hit the mark but its great for yakking being of compact size. I did actually hook something that felt like a big jack on it recently and it went well up to the first snag in the water, but I reckon I was gonna get smoked anyway.
Handles Bass no problem.
Cheers, Steve.

stonecold
16-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Mate being thinking "yes it hurt" about some smart ar*se comment about the size of your rod, but it's eluding me at the moment ;D

rabbi
17-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Hehehe, I swear that water temp was only 16 degrees the other week.!!

stonecold
20-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Its was 14.7.... and your left lug nut, which i keep in my tackle box, will attest to that...shark bait bought as just like dads rod look alike this morning

rabbi
21-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Good One,
Sharkbait might have a bit of go in him yet for a bit of friendly competition.
He has an unfair advantage though cause he has an automatic burley trail built in.
Serves me right for betting body parts on who will catch the fish:huh:

stonecold
21-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Now jhy wants one........its catchin!

rabbi
25-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Mate,
After seeing that big one you pulled in the other day I reckon I need a bigger rod!!!
It was huge and I liked the way it floated in the last few metres after you pulled it outa the snags,...I thought you were gonna pull its head off!!
It was enough to make you sick m8, Yr a lucky man!! :P

Pete62
25-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Steve, nice looking area you are fishing. Gonna be a great Bass summer me thinks.

Pete

stonecold
25-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Can still tast it mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shuda got the camera out for the event::)

rabbi
28-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi Pete,
Mate, looking forward to a bit of freshwater action, specially in warmer weather. A coupla coldies, nice scenery and some good company, gr8!! And the best thing is I've got all season to give Stonecold a flogging at fishing. Think I may need all the time I can get though as the big fella seems to know what he's doing:)

Pete62
28-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi Pete,
Mate, looking forward to a bit of freshwater action, specially in warmer weather. A coupla coldies, nice scenery and some good company, gr8!! And the best thing is I've got all season to give Stonecold a flogging at fishing. Think I may need all the time I can get though as the big fella seems to know what he's doing:)

Good luck with it Steve. Are you guys far north of Coffs? Always keen for an adventure if you are planning a trip.

Pete.

stonecold
30-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I might give up now boys...while Im ahead :P

stonecold
30-09-2009, 10:44 AM
But the lure of a coldie while floating down the creek is sooo appealing!..Peter we're nearly 2hrs north of Coffs but will be travelling down closer to Grafton shortly.....did I mention that Rabbi?...found another creek we need to check out...2 actually, after this mornings jew session ;D

deepfried
30-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey fellas hope your getting onto a few, fish that is not coldies.

Steve if your rods get any shorter you will only need a reel seat and a sling shot to get your lures out. I am keen to here about the outcome of any attempts on jew with it, dont doubt at all that you would try.

Speaking of water temps did you guys see the warm water that pushed down the coast the week or so ago, came right onto the coast here and brought a heap of mac tuna with it. Might be a bit earlier than normal that people start to see some pelagics.

stonecold
01-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Scott didnt see any warm water...in fact that was the first trip to salt Ive had in over 6weeks, maybe longer...was lured out by stories of big choppers jew and salmon....ahh the old storey..shuda bin here yesterday!
Mack tuna turn up about this time most seasons. I have caught them at Evans off the rocks in August before.

Steves rod is a regression in progress...Im gunna buy him a handline for xmas!!!

deepfried
01-10-2009, 12:52 PM
I have been watching the SST charts a bit lately. A nice current came right onto ballina but has since moved out a bit. I am getting a bit keen for the warmer water and hoping for an ealier season. I have had a couple of reports of fish showing up where they shouldnt be.

The salmon and bigger "choppers" were there, i got onto a few but still not huge numbers. Of course i didnt see any jew suprise suprise. Those things hate me.

Handline for steve sounds about right by xmas time. I dont know what he will be down to next year.

stonecold
02-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Ive booked the Rabbi in to gambling rehab....he really shudnt gamble so much, or if he does gamble at least not bet body parts....I already own his left testicle.... If he continues to make bets he really will be on the wall trying to throw a S.P with a handline....maybe in his undies...Thats my prediction for next year;D

The jew dont hate you mate...fish aren't personal like that, are they Rabbi.... bass wudnt do that:-X

On a final note if it makes you feel better Scott "apparently" one of the old bream fishos got a 10kg jew using half a cooked venemai prawn on Tuesday morning off the end of the wall. See they are easy to catch.;D

rabbi
12-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Geez Stonecold,
I am not sure about that.
I got bitten by a tailor on a meaty part of my hand a while back and u shoulda seen the mean look on its face.
I think when Scott does his apprenticeship he may land a nice jew but that may be a while off.
I will give you a hint that might improve your catch rate Scott. Underpants and a handline with an S.P, wink,wink,nod,nod.
Still working on a big fish with the yak and small rod but I am still trying to find the park brake on the yak to stop being dragged around!!

rabbi
09-12-2009, 10:16 AM
I dont gamble guys. And Id bet my right lug nut on that!!
This kayaking experience is a great lark fellas and my little yak rod now has some good cod, yellas, silver perch, Bass and a few freshwater jew under its belt.
Just getting it trained ready for something a tad bigger.
Surprised I have not broken the yak rod yet as I have been trying hard enough.
All I need now is a waterproof camera::)

stonecold
17-12-2009, 06:31 AM
So why didnt you bet your left lug nut???? Ohh thats right its still in my tackle box from the last bet. ;D

onerabbit
17-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Hehehe, I see you 2 are well aquainted now.........

sorry I haven't been in touch for a while Mark, been VERY busy,
hope Xmas brings all good things to you......

did I mention that I have been recently married? ( for the second time this year ) to the catch of a life time.

Hope we can catch up soon.

Muzz

stonecold
17-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Congratulations mate..sounds like things went with less hickups than expected. Will try and catch up b4 xmas for a coldie